Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Cosplay and Crafting Books

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:36 pm
So I'm trying to add to my collection of crafting books and I'm sure some of you want to add to yours.

I'd like to know more about what other people have.

This books can include:

Cosplay Art Books
Cosplay Craft books
Books on Sewing
Embroidery
Foamcrafting
Using Worbla
Clay
Jewelry
or anything other relating to cosplaying

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:22 pm
Historical And Ethnic Clothing

Books that I've been Recommended, but not read personally:
Make Your Own Japanese Clothes: Patterns and Ideas for Modern Wear by John Marshall

Books I Have:
The Book of Kimono
By Norio Yamanaka

This book is a general guide book that will go you through the world of the Kimono. Some of the details include a history of the kimono, types of kimonos, accessories, putting it on, and how to take care of your kimono.

19th Century Clothing
By: Bobbie Kalman
This book is in a series called "Historic Communities"

I use this book as a general reference guide and as inspiration for steampunk/Victorian clothing. ]/spoiler]

Patternmaking

Reconstructing Clothes For Dummies by: Miranda Caroligne Burns

Books I have:
How to make your own Sewing Patterns
By: Donald H. McCunn

This book is about making patterns and it goes through the basics. The book has details about measurements making bodices, collars, sleeves, basic pants, skirts, how to structurally embellish your clothes, and a bit about fabrics to use.

Sewing/Fabrics

Sewing For Dummies by Janice Saunders Maresh

Reader's Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing
No Author

This book goes over the basics of sewing from equipment, to reading a pattern, to how to sew an item. It also going into tailoring and pattern making with recommended projects to practice what you just learned.

The Hero's Closet
By Gillian Conahan

This book is geared toward Cosplayers The book covers basics of figuring out your costume how to make several costumes (patterns included) as well as a glossary of terms.

Fabric Savvy
By Sandra Betzina

This book is a guide to fabrics. The book talks about individual fabrics and devotes two pages for each fabric describing:
What each fabric is used for
Washing guides
How to make marks on the fabric
Cutting suggestions
Tread
Interfacing
Needle
Stich length
Presser foot
And a lot more

The Vogue Sewing Book
Published by Vogue

This book is a large book and it goes over a lot of details. Some things that you will see include Infor on fabrics, sewing tools, tailoring, men's fashion, fashion design, and guides for people choosing clothing.

Alt Culture

Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos: A Maker's Guide to Creating Modern Artifacts by Thomas Willeford
Steampunk Your Wardrobe: Easy Projects to Add Victorian Flair to Everyday Fashions By: Calista Taylor

Books that I have
Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno: Tokyo Teen Fashion Subculture Handbook
By: Izumi Ivers and Kazumi Nonaka

This is a general subculture book, but it gives some tips of the origin of some subgroups and can help to provide context for costume design.

Jewelry-Making

Jewelry Making & Beading For Dummies by Heather Dismore
Jewelry Making For Beginners: A Complete & Easy Step by Step Guide by: Janet Evans

Various Crafting

The Prop Builder's Molding & Casting Handbook by: Thurston James
Costume Craftwork on a Budget: Clothing, 3-D Makeup, Wigs, Millinery & Accessories by: Tan Huaixiang  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:30 am
angelmage99
So I'm trying to add to my collection of crafting books and I'm sure some of you want to add to yours.

I'd like to know more about what other people have.

This books can include:

Cosplay Art Books
Cosplay Craft books
Books on Sewing
Embroidery
Foamcrafting
Using Worbla
Clay
Jewelry
or anything other relating to cosplaying

Ah. Books that help with cosplay, you say? I have a bunch, because I love to learn and I like having reference materials.

Sewing

Reader's Digest: Complete Guide to Sewing (1978 edition)
--I have an older edition, but it's great for quick and complete reference. Quite comprehensive, but does not include some of the more modern techniques and trends.
// Would suggest if you can find a copy for $10 or less.

Threads' Sewing Guide (2011)
--More updated than the Reader's Digest guide, but by swapping from illustrations to actual pictures, it loses some of the clarity that drawings can give. Definitely more modern and includes clear pictures.
--As this is written for those who are interested in the sewing magazine by the brand, occasionally it words things for those who understand more technical terms and methods.
// Would not suggest, solely because of the wording later. I don't like having to think about the definition within the definition.

1, 2, 3 Sew: Build Your Skills with 33 Simple Sewing Projects (2011)
--Has several projects in different categories, so you can sew home decor or clothing or whatever fits your interests.
--Book is great for building practical experience and it builds techniques as you move through the book (level 1, 2, 3).
--Includes patterns!
--Not necessarily a reference book; more of a workbook.
// Would recommend if you don't mind not choosing your projects. Creates a good experience base. Find a cheap copy, but make sure it includes the patterns.

The Hero's Closet (2017)
--Sewing Instruction directly for cosplay and costuming.
--Writing is mostly in layman, meaning little to no interpretation to specific terms. These areas are absolutely written for someone who is new to sewing and cosplay.
--Includes several patterns and projects. Unfortunately, the projects themselves are written like a typical pattern, so it is NOT is layman's terms here.
--Included patterns are on separate sheets and full-size, which is the first I've seen outside of 1-2-3 Sew.
--Not really plus size friendly. More experience tailors can easily expand a pattern, but it's not for the faint of heart.
--As a newer, niche, but popular book, this is still at full price, so it can be expensive if you're not prepared to spend $20+ on a book.
// Would recommend for someone who plans to sew a lot, but not for someone who doesn't plan to do so.

Cosplay Construction Techniques
Note that most/all of these are likely only available at full price!

The Costume Making: Creating Armor & Props for Cosplay (2016, Svetlana Quindt AKA Kamui Cosplay)
--Great reference material for working with Worbla
--While it is advertised as for making cosplay armor, every project uses Worbla in some way. Worbla is not cheap, but is beginner friendly.
--Includes comprehensive and interesting steps and pictures to go with each step.
-- Some steps are ambiguous or should be split into more steps for their respective projects. That said, those steps would be accurate if not applied to a specific project. Basically, she does a complex project and writes the simple steps she does.
--Projects are actual props/work she has done as a professional cosplayer.
--Steps, materials, etc. are accurate to cosplay, with exception to the emphasis on Worbla.
// Would recommend if you plan to work with Worbla or a similar thermoplastic. Skip if you don't plan to.

Foamsmith 2: How to Forge Foam Weapons (2016, Bill Doran aka Punished Props)
--Good for a beginner ready to jump in. Not so great for someone more apprehensive or not as ready for big projects.
--Projects included are more like write-ups to the build. Should be vice-versa, a build to demonstrate the steps.
--Includes professional level work and steps, using equipment such as a drill press, belt sander, etc.
// Would not recommend for beginners. Intermediate/experienced with an established workshop recommended.

Make: Props and Costume Armor (2016, Shawn Thorsson)
--Everything here is made to last!
--Included beginner to expert information
--Clear and well-written.
--This book is intended for intermediate cosplayers who are looking to jump from regular to professional level work, such as myself.
// Not for beginners unless they plan to jump in all the way. Basically, if you are looking to learn how to do it right, the professional way, this is The Book. If not, move on.
Note: Also suggest Coregeek Creations on YouTube if you are interested in the content in this book.

Other Techniques

A Complete Guide to Special Effects Makeup (2006: Jap/ 2012: Eng )
--Information builds as you go through the book. So, it should be read from beginning to end.
--Written from a technician's experience, so it is not all in layman's terms, but well enough one should be able to follow if read carefully.
--Professional materials and techniques used.
!! Includes gruesome/gore material !!
--Not a cheap book
// Good for those looking for a profession in SFX, but not so much for most costumers.

Make It, Wear It: Wearable Electronics for Makers, Crafters, and Cosplayers (201 cool
--Basically written as a hobbyist's guide. Must buy the set of tools suggested at the start of the book.
--Most of the book is various projects to build.
--Includes projects with different techniques focused in each.
--Includes materials that may be more expensive and/or for one-time use.
--Good for a beginner to intermediate.
--Even the intermediate techniques are written in layman's terms, so anyone can follow through as long as they have the tools and materials needed.
// Recommend if you can invest in the tools and materials, most of which can be used for many purposes, both hobby and "real life."

Make: Electronics (2015)
--Written as an intro course to electronics, so you will need to buy all the materials and tools suggested. That said, the book specifically suggests buying only what you need for the first few projects, then getting the other materials as you need it.
--This is like a coursebook, not a reference book or even a guidebook.
--You will need to work through the book, but should have a comprehensive base of knowledge of experience by the end of it.
// Would recommend for someone serious about learning electronics.
// Would not recommend for a basic hobbyist.

General cosplay

Cosplay: The Beginner's Masterclass (2015)
--Printed horribly. Pictures are blurry and/or pixelated.
--Clearly needs editing.
-- Written very generically.
// Would not recommend. Only good for a school club, or something that often need to inform those who have no idea what cosplay is about.

Cosplay Art Books
Books with lots of pictures. More for inspiration than reference.

Cosplay World (2014)
--Basically is a biography for a bunch of cosplayers
--Great for learning how other cosplayers got into cosplay and why they do what they do.
--Includes a variety of cosplay styles.
--Most of these cosplayers are professional cosplayers and make their living through cosplay in one form or another.
// Recommend, if this is your thing.
// Personally, I'm not fond of it because I want either more pictures or more biography. It leaves you wanting for more of one or the other, or both.

1000 Incredible Costume & Cosplay Ideas (2013)
--Basically a categorized picture book
--Favors certain cosplayers or photographers
--Includes character name and series in each picture, which is very rare for a collection like this
--One of my favorite cosplay books
// Would recommend for someone who needs inspiration.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:33 am
slapthefatcat2

Do you a lot of EVA, Worbla, and electronic builds?  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:34 pm
angelmage99
slapthefatcat2

I mostly work with EVA, but I have worked with Worbla. Electronics, I usually just "transfer" circuits from previous things, rather than actually doing all the circuitry. Wanted to learn, hence why I had the books on electronics, but I am still apprehensive on actually doing the circuitry myself. I have most everything I need in terms of tools without upgrading to the more stationary and more expensive tools and equipment. I'm waiting until I can afford a proper workshop before I invest in it. I've worked with many, many materials though, as I make a point to include new techniques, methods and/or materials in each project.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:26 pm
slapthefatcat2
angelmage99
slapthefatcat2

I mostly work with EVA, but I have worked with Worbla. Electronics, I usually just "transfer" circuits from previous things, rather than actually doing all the circuitry. Wanted to learn, hence why I had the books on electronics, but I am still apprehensive on actually doing the circuitry myself. I have most everything I need in terms of tools without upgrading to the more stationary and more expensive tools and equipment. I'm waiting until I can afford a proper workshop before I invest in it. I've worked with many, many materials though, as I make a point to include new techniques, methods and/or materials in each project.

I'm about to learn more about using EVA foam myself. I recently got a copy of Kamui Cosplay's first book and found some of Yaya Han's EVA cosplay line on sale. I'm moving first and then I also need to buy a heat gun before I can start experimenting.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:20 pm
One of the books I've recently enjoyed is Make, Sew, Mend by Bernadette Banner. The techniques are easily applicable to cosplay if you need to mend a tear after a con or something. But I also appreciate her focus on closing the cycle of fast fashion on her social medias.

Another book I've used a lot is Pattern Making for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong. It's probably the only college book I routinely go back to. It teaches you how to properly take measurements and draft or modify your own patterns. I have the 5th edition, but it's still very useful!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
One of the books I've recently enjoyed is Make, Sew, Mend by Bernadette Banner. The techniques are easily applicable to cosplay if you need to mend a tear after a con or something. But I also appreciate her focus on closing the cycle of fast fashion on her social medias.

Another book I've used a lot is Pattern Making for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong. It's probably the only college book I routinely go back to. It teaches you how to properly take measurements and draft or modify your own patterns. I have the 5th edition, but it's still very useful!

I haven't got a chance to go through Bernadette Banner's book, but I've heard some good things about it. I work at Joann's and I was thinking on an off-day (when I need to get fabric) about sitting down and reviewing some of the books that come in. I saw a really cool one about smocking.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:56 pm
angelmage99
I haven't got a chance to go through Bernadette Banner's book, but I've heard some good things about it. I work at Joann's and I was thinking on an off-day (when I need to get fabric) about sitting down and reviewing some of the books that come in. I saw a really cool one about smocking.

Smocking is definitely a skill! Haha, one I need to work on my patience for! There's only been a few things I needed it for with elastic cording, but I'd really like to use it to make a smocked pattern with beading one day. Though it'll probably be more of a historical/inspired outfit than a cosplay.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:06 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu

Smocking is definitely a skill! Haha, one I need to work on my patience for! There's only been a few things I needed it for with elastic cording, but I'd really like to use it to make a smocked pattern with beading one day. Though it'll probably be more of a historical/inspired outfit than a cosplay.

And there are so many types of smocking too. I only glimpsed through the book, but each page was pretty much how to do a different type of smocking.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers