Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Couple and Group Cosplays

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:11 am
Couple and Group Cosplays

Most of the time I have done Cosplays on my own. My brother and niece sometimes join me at a con but we usually do Cosplays from different series. As a Cosplay Photographer I have taken photos of Group Cosplays before and have wondered what it is like to be a part of one.

These days the only general rule for a Couples or Group Cosplay is to be characters from the same series. It doesn't have be a male / female couple. In my opinion gender doesn't have to be a part of it anymore.

Let us know if you have done any Couples Cosplays or been in a Group Cosplay in the past. Also share any stories of what it has been like to do them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:55 am
Well with my cosplay partners have some requirements about if and when we do cosplay groups or duos.

1. If we both like the series we are most responsible for our own costumes.

This isn't to say that we don't help each other with the costumes, but it's the responsibility of the person to arrange the costume creation. As an example: My sister and I want to both cosplay characters from Shaman King (Horohoro and Kokoro). I have sewing skills and my sister does not, but she's better of creating plans for props and painting/art work. I sew, she does the props and painting,

2. You can't force anyone to wear something they don't want.

My sister normally doesn't like to wear anything that isn't long on her legs. She'll wear long skirts and pants, but she's not fond of shorter skirts or shorts. She gets to pick what she wants to wear. Similarly, my husband wont wear make-up (I'm trying to slowly break him of gender-norms, but he's not ready) and when I think of costumes for him. I have to think of characters that require little to no make-up.

3. If the person is not interested in the show, but is willing to wear the costume, it is the responsibility of the person who wants to do it, to make the costume.

My example for this one is My Hero Academia. My husband is okay with the show, but he doesn't love it. That means when I made our costumes, I was in charge of making the costumes. This is different from the fact my husband wanted to do Luigi and Daisy. I'm like the Mario Game Series, so it's my responsibility to make my own costume (he got off lucky because I made him do Mario so he already has most of his costume).  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers