Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Bringing One Of Your Parents to a Convention Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bringing a parent to a convention
  Yes
  No
  No Way
  Sure it's their thing to
  I'm not sure
  I would be embarrased
View Results

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:49 pm
Bringing One Of Your Parents to a Convention

This topic is one that we have had before and I feel that it's worth trying again. Their are many answers to this question. Some of them are in the poll. Being 57 years old I can see some of the reasons to bring a parent and not to. Back 20 years ago most people in the United States who went to a convention went to either a Science Fiction or a Comic Con Convention. Often a parent went to them with their kids.

Many parents then and even now may have heard of Cosplay and even Anime but don't understand it. My own Mother is like that. Being that I'm born on Halloween she has no problem making a costume for me as long as it's a male one. She is also very religious and would not approve of many of the things that go on at one. For that reason I would not bring her to one because I don't want to alarm or offend her. I respect her beliefs.

Being Christian myself some people think that I'm at odds with going to a convention myself. I think with an open mind and say each to their own. It's pretty simple. If it's something that bothers you just quietly pass it by. Anime / Cosplay conventions have everything from Pokemon / Young kids shows & items to Yaoi / Yuri & adult material.

Years ago I took my 15 year old niece and her friend to a convention and when I passed by a person selling Yaoi / Yuri they were drawn to it like a magnet. The dealer was getting upset and I quickly had to steer my niece away from the dealers area. The dealer to his credit had his items covered with a long piece of clear plastic to help secure his area. I personally have no problem with that material being sold as long as they are discreet. Also I have no problem with Yaoi / Yuri relationships being in Anime / Manga. Some shows it's needed for the plotline and many parts of the World are more open about such things.

Another subject is Cosplay and Cosplay Photography. Some outfits are revealing and often that is what the character looks like too. One thing for sure is that looking that way is not consent. First a parent might have a problem seeing cosplayers dressed that way or other ways like crossplay and genderbender outfits. Also a parent might have to control an older teen who wants to do more than just look.

As a Cosplay Photographer I'm very conscious of how Cosplayers look and feel. In addition to having themselves touched most Cosplayers don't want their outfits touched either. Touching an outfit could damage it and cosplayers work hard to get their outfits just right. In the Photo Section Sub Forum I created a topic called Cosplay Photography 101.

I have a few general rules that I follow. Always ask permission before taking a photo. Be respectful of cosplayers, some might not want their photo taken. Reasons that I mentioned above. Also I don't take photos of young children. I don't want to make the child or their parents feel uneasy. If a teen is between 13 and 17 years old I ask both them and their parents first. I remember years ago taking a photo of a 13 year old and both the teen and the Mother Loved the attention.

I would like to know what everyone else thinks about this subject. I could go on and on about the subject myself.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 am
Well even then a lot of convention require a parent/guardian to be on site at all times the minor is on site. I used to be the adult for my sister for a short while (we're about two years apart) and for her friends.

I think it's a must that parent/guardian should be there. They are legally responsible for the well being and discipline. In Washington Start a child (16 and under) can not technically enter a story without an adult. Though in practice we don't pull that card unless the child acts up or to discipline a parent for child abandonment.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:17 pm
angelmage99
Well even then a lot of convention require a parent/guardian to be on site at all times the minor is on site. I used to be the adult for my sister for a short while (we're about two years apart) and for her friends.

I think it's a must that parent/guardian should be there. They are legally responsible for the well being and discipline. In Washington Start a child (16 and under) can not technically enter a story without an adult. Though in practice we don't pull that card unless the child acts up or to discipline a parent for child abandonment.

At Youmacon I had to have a form filled out for my niece and it had to be signed by my sister. They made it clear that my niece had to be with me at all times. That wasn't a problem because my sister would kill me if something happened to her. My Mom said that my niece was too young to go to the convention (13 years old). It was a harder sell to her than my sister! Yes I admit that Downtown Detroit is not the safest place to be especially at night but I'm pretty good at being aware of my surroundings and had promised my sister that we would leave the con at Sunset. Good advice for people taking kids / teens to a con.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 am
smithers456
angelmage99

At Youmacon I had to have a form filled out for my niece and it had to be signed by my sister. They made it clear that my niece had to be with me at all times. That wasn't a problem because my sister would kill me if something happened to her. My Mom said that my niece was too young to go to the convention (13 years old). It was a harder sell to her than my sister! Yes I admit that Downtown Detroit is not the safest place to be especially at night but I'm pretty good at being aware of my surroundings and had promised my sister that we would leave the con at Sunset. Good advice for people taking kids / teens to a con.

Timing is super important depending on location. When I go to Sakura-Con I leave fairly early in the evening. It's not the safest at night. I also change clothes so if any of my friends stay I'm not walking back in a cosplay. With some cons I'm in more safer areas of course or they're local so I know hen it's time to leave.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

Timing is super important depending on location. When I go to Sakura-Con I leave fairly early in the evening. It's not the safest at night. I also change clothes so if any of my friends stay I'm not walking back in a cosplay. With some cons I'm in more safer areas of course or they're local so I know hen it's time to leave.

Fortunately I have lived in the Detroit Metro Area all of my life so I know what area's are safe and what isn't. It can be a Parents nightmare to be on the Detroit People Mover and something happens. The same can be said for subways or the Chicago L-Train. You are basically trapped in them. Planning and getting familiar with the area is very important for safety. Unfortunately Cosplayers can be easy targets if they are not aware. I don't have kids myself but if I was a parent I would go to a convention with my kids whether they like it or not.

If it's just my brother and I going to a convention we usually stay late into the evening. Youmacon I can do that with but not necessarily with others. Also I don't stay at a hotel. It's only a 45 minute drive to Downtown Detroit for me. I really want to go to Anime Central in Chicago. I know that area pretty good too. It's about a 5 hour drive but I would stay at a nearby hotel.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:15 am
smithers456

Fortunately I have lived in the Detroit Metro Area all of my life so I know what area's are safe and what isn't. It can be a Parents nightmare to be on the Detroit People Mover and something happens. The same can be said for subways or the Chicago L-Train. You are basically trapped in them. Planning and getting familiar with the area is very important for safety. Unfortunately Cosplayers can be easy targets if they are not aware. I don't have kids myself but if I was a parent I would go to a convention with my kids whether they like it or not.

If it's just my brother and I going to a convention we usually stay late into the evening. Youmacon I can do that with but not necessarily with others. Also I don't stay at a hotel. It's only a 45 minute drive to Downtown Detroit for me. I really want to go to Anime Central in Chicago. I know that area pretty good too. It's about a 5 hour drive but I would stay at a nearby hotel.

I agree. Even if my kids were 16 (which is the state age for being unsupervised), depending on the where the con is, I would even let them go out of the hotel without me. Of course it's easier when the hotel is attached to the convention center or the convention is in a hotel. That way you know that there are "safer" people all around.

Down side is those hotels usually are more pricey.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:00 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

I agree. Even if my kids were 16 (which is the state age for being unsupervised), depending on the where the con is, I would even let them go out of the hotel without me. Of course it's easier when the hotel is attached to the convention center or the convention is in a hotel. That way you know that there are "safer" people all around.

You talk about pricey. Youmacon is at the Detroit Renaissance Center which has the Detroit Marriot Hotel in the center. I just learned that the Hotel is 73 stories high and is the second tallest all-hotel skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere. Youmacon is their and at the TCF Convention Center (Former Cobo Hall) near by. The convention center is really big to. The view of the Detroit River and Windsor, Ontario, Canada is beautiful. It's also a nice backdrop for Cosplay Photos.

For a family of four staying at the Hotel and being at the con for the main 3 days is a fortune. Like most cons you need to reserve rooms up to a year in advance. Youmacon is an international con and we usually get a lot of Canadians at the con and guests from around the World. With all of that going on I can see the stars in the eyes of kids who want to go. I guess I get stars in my eyes too. Stephanie said that someday she will come to Youmacon. It's about a 5 hour drive from Toronto. When I get a passport again I would love to go to Anime North in Toronto. Chicago, Toronto, and Detroit are all worth going to.

For my Niece to go to a con with me she had to get a lot of money and have a Cosplay Outfit made. Fortunately my sister is really good at sewing and patterns. She did one of my outfits. Come to think about I should have her help me with another one. My niece has to earn the money to go. What's sad is that when she became 19 years old I was suddenly out of the picture. She wanted to go with her friends instead of her Uncle. I will get her to come with me again. I might have to bribe her with a Pokemon Plushie. LOL  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:09 pm
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

You talk about pricey. Youmacon is at the Detroit Renaissance Center which has the Detroit Marriot Hotel in the center. I just learned that the Hotel is 73 stories high and is the second tallest all-hotel skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere. Youmacon is their and at the TCF Convention Center (Former Cobo Hall) near by. The convention center is really big to. The view of the Detroit River and Windsor, Ontario, Canada is beautiful. It's also a nice backdrop for Cosplay Photos.

For a family of four staying at the Hotel and being at the con for the main 3 days is a fortune. Like most cons you need to reserve rooms up to a year in advance. Youmacon is an international con and we usually get a lot of Canadians at the con and guests from around the World. With all of that going on I can see the stars in the eyes of kids who want to go. I guess I get stars in my eyes too. Stephanie said that someday she will come to Youmacon. It's about a 5 hour drive from Toronto. When I get a passport again I would love to go to Anime North in Toronto. Chicago, Toronto, and Detroit are all worth going to.

For my Niece to go to a con with me she had to get a lot of money and have a Cosplay Outfit made. Fortunately my sister is really good at sewing and patterns. She did one of my outfits. Come to think about I should have her help me with another one. My niece has to earn the money to go. What's sad is that when she became 19 years old I was suddenly out of the picture. She wanted to go with her friends instead of her Uncle. I will get her to come with me again. I might have to bribe her with a Pokemon Plushie. LOL

Yeah the cost can add up. I know that I usually spend at least $50 per cosplay. Depending on the project it's more.

I personally hope when I move that I can make new friends. A lot of people split cost for things like gas and hotel to keep the overall cost per person down.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:44 am
smithers456

angelmage99

Yeah the cost can add up. I know that I usually spend at least $50 per cosplay. Depending on the project it's more.

I personally hope when I move that I can make new friends. A lot of people split cost for things like gas and hotel to keep the overall cost per person down.

$50 seems to be a low price to me. Since you are an expert in my mind, I can see you pulling it off. For a parent to go to a convention you need an understanding. Sometimes a kid wants to go but is annoyed that he / she has to take their parent along. On the other side a parent needs to be willing to go to the convention. There is a lot of things to consider. If the parent happens to be a fan of Anime and Cosplay, then that works out really well. Some kids might have to make it their parents while to go. My wife basically tells me that Anime and Cosplay is my thing. If she went though, it would be to check out the artist alley / crafting area because she is into making crafts.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 am
smithers456

$50 seems to be a low price to me. Since you are an expert in my mind, I can see you pulling it off. For a parent to go to a convention you need an understanding. Sometimes a kid wants to go but is annoyed that he / she has to take their parent along. On the other side a parent needs to be willing to go to the convention. There is a lot of things to consider. If the parent happens to be a fan of Anime and Cosplay, then that works out really well. Some kids might have to make it their parents while to go. My wife basically tells me that Anime and Cosplay is my thing. If she went though, it would be to check out the artist alley / crafting area because she is into making crafts.

I also sew most of my stuff and look for things that are on sale as well to be fair. I also have to think about the wig too. A good wig is usually about $25 so. Most of my cost can come wigs.

I agree. It easier if the parent is willing to come. You can support your child without having to go to every cosplay event. My mom was worried even when I started to go at 18. She asked a family friend to watch out for me since he was going to the con too. Same con I learned to play DnD.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm
anglemage99
I also sew most of my stuff and look for things that are on sale as well to be fair. I also have to think about the wig too. A good wig is usually about $25 so. Most of my cost can come wigs.

I agree. It easier if the parent is willing to come. You can support your child without having to go to every cosplay event. My mom was worried even when I started to go at 18. She asked a family friend to watch out for me since he was going to the con too. Same con I learned to play DnD.

I haven't needed a wig yet. My own hair is just fine. I'm trying to figure out who to cosplay next. Sasuke (From Boruto), Ash (Pokemon), Yugi (Yu-Gi-oh!), Subaru (re:zero - one of my new favorites). It all depends on what you can pull off. Re:Zero I've seen a lot ofRem Maid Cosplays for some time on Instagram. It made me curious. I found a Blu Ray copy of the first season at Best Buy. Now I'm hooked. I don't know if I want to die for a "Do-Over" but it's an interesting idea. It reminds me of the Groundhog movie. I think that I could pull off a Subaru Cosplay if I suck in my stomach. LOL Right now I don't have any money for an outfit.

When it comes to Cosplay Outfits that could be a deal breaker for a parent. I can see a kid crying or a teen whining about that. I have gone to a con before not wearing a cosplay outfit. Also an outfit especially for a girl needs to be appropriate so it doesn't draw a lot of unwanted attention. A parent can be upset about that too. Years ago I saw too parents cosplaying (one Chi from chobits) pushing their baby in a carriage. An added touch was that the baby carriage was the same color as her outfit.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:45 am
smithers456

I haven't needed a wig yet. My own hair is just fine. I'm trying to figure out who to cosplay next. Sasuke (From Boruto), Ash (Pokemon), Yugi (Yu-Gi-oh!), Subaru (re:zero - one of my new favorites). It all depends on what you can pull off. Re:Zero I've seen a lot ofRem Maid Cosplays for some time on Instagram. It made me curious. I found a Blu Ray copy of the first season at Best Buy. Now I'm hooked. I don't know if I want to die for a "Do-Over" but it's an interesting idea. It reminds me of the Groundhog movie. I think that I could pull off a Subaru Cosplay if I suck in my stomach. LOL Right now I don't have any money for an outfit.

When it comes to Cosplay Outfits that could be a deal breaker for a parent. I can see a kid crying or a teen whining about that. I have gone to a con before not wearing a cosplay outfit. Also an outfit especially for a girl needs to be appropriate so it doesn't draw a lot of unwanted attention. A parent can be upset about that too. Years ago I saw too parents cosplaying (one Chi from chobits) pushing their baby in a carriage. An added touch was that the baby carriage was the same color as her outfit.

My #1 advice to anyone who wants to cosplay is to develop the skills. You'll find it easier to save money that way. Right now my husband is learning more about leather working while I'm going to start learning about using Resin soon.

I think it's important not to force a younger child to cosplay, but I do plan on making outfits for when I finally have a child. I already have a list going. Like Gohan/Chichi/Goku, Sailor Moon/Mini Moon/Tuxedo Mask, Koenma/Botan.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:00 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

My #1 advice to anyone who wants to cosplay is to develop the skills. You'll find it easier to save money that way. Right now my husband is learning more about leather working while I'm going to start learning about using Resin soon.

I think it's important not to force a younger child to cosplay, but I do plan on making outfits for when I finally have a child. I already have a list going. Like Gohan/Chichi/Goku, Sailor Moon/Mini Moon/Tuxedo Mask, Koenma/Botan.

I bet your kid / kids would look really cool in Cosplay Outfits. I do agree that Cosplay is for the fun of it and never forced. I've read about some adults being in a group cosplay where they are forced to cosplay as a certain character.

As for Cosplay Outfit Creation Skills. planning on what you want to do is important. Having good photos online of other cosplayers doing the same outfit and or some photos / drawing from an art book.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:34 am
smithers456
angelmage99

I bet your kid / kids would look really cool in Cosplay Outfits. I do agree that Cosplay is for the fun of it and never forced. I've read about some adults being in a group cosplay where they are forced to cosplay as a certain character.

As for Cosplay Outfit Creation Skills. planning on what you want to do is important. Having good photos online of other cosplayers doing the same outfit and or some photos / drawing from an art book.

Agreed. Forcing makes people miserable. Like if my kid wants to do a different show then I do, then so be it. I'll help them make the costume anyways.

Well even then. Developing new ways of doing things or learning to mold fabrics in different ways, I only recently learned to do bias tape properly.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

JoyRose

Helpful Friend

39,240 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Magical Gems 500
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:42 am
I took my kid to gaming conventions since she was 9 and we've always had a blast. There are always a few costumes in the mix and they are fun to look at. Generally they wore the outfit to get attention and love it when we admire them.

As for my parents, I know my dad would be uninterested in these conventions, and my husband, too. They don't like crowds and are not terribly interested in anime, cosplay, gaming, or meeting celebrities. Mom is a gamer (board games and card games, though, not table top as much) and she likes exploring new things. But she's nearly 80 and walking is difficult for her now, so I don't know she'd enjoy it. Plus she would rather spend time with her husband than go anywhere with anyone else, even me. We have gone on a few trips just the two of us, but rarely.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff