Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Discussion in the Fandom Community Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 pm
Intro

Hey guys. I thought we'd do discussions about things that go on in the Fandom/Cosplay community. I'd figure I'd post a different topic here each month and we can discuss our thoughts on what is going on in our community. This topics will be more mature and is for discussion purposes only. Please do not insult each other or put down another of a different view-point.

Current Discussion

Should conventions ask for your gender prefers (not pronouns)?

Past Topics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm
I kind of have to agree with the commentator in this video. They do not need to ask for the gender preferences, but pronouns are a must. It makes it feel like someone who is heterosexual has less of a chance. They also don't recognize other minority sexual groups such as gray-sexual and their viewpoints.

I think a better way to approach this would be to do a general survey which has an option for attendance status to be added. It takes a larger look at the con as a whole and where the convention staff may want to go in the future. They could also ask artist to do a post-con survey. It gives a 'done is done' feel versus a 'judgement up front'.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:58 am
angelmage99
I kind of have to agree with the commentator in this video. They do not need to ask for the gender preferences of people who are buying booths and tables at conventions. It makes it feel like someone who is heterosexual has less of a chance. They also don't recognize other minority sexual groups such as gray-sexual and their viewpoints.

I think a better way to approach this would be to do a general survey which has an option for attendance status to be added. It takes a larger look at the con as a whole and where the convention staff may want to go in the future. They could also ask artist to do a post-con survey. It gives a 'done is done' feel versus a 'judgement up front'.

My wife the other day asked about gender definitions and when I looked it up on the internet their was a list of over 15 different types. I remember that these additional gender types started showing up about 10 / 12 years ago. I happen to belong to a Guild where the Guild members freely let everyone know what their gender was. It took some doing to learn what the different ones meant. The Guild was a safe place on Gaia and is inactive now.

As for the question at hand I don't think that a Convention has the right to ask what some ones gender is these days. From what I learned in the other Guild it is a very personal thing to some people. For some it's like asking what medical or mental conditions they have.

Also their are more important things to consider for getting a booth or table. Yes confirming attendance is important and making sure that the convention is payed for the space. In my opinion they are going to far. Imagine if they did the same thing for a general convention ticket. Their could be less people going to the con due to the question.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:55 am
smithers456
angelmage99
I kind of have to agree with the commentator in this video. They do not need to ask for the gender preferences of people who are buying booths and tables at conventions. It makes it feel like someone who is heterosexual has less of a chance. They also don't recognize other minority sexual groups such as gray-sexual and their viewpoints.

My wife the other day asked about gender definitions and when I looked it up on the internet their was a list of over 15 different types. I remember that these additional gender types started showing up about 10 / 12 years ago. I happen to belong to a Guild where the Guild members freely let everyone know what their gender was. It took some doing to learn what the different ones meant. The Guild was a safe place on Gaia and is inactive now.

As for the question at hand I don't think that a Convention has the right to ask what some ones gender is these days. From what I learned in the other Guild it is a very personal thing to some people. For some it's like asking what medical or mental conditions they have.

Also their are more important things to consider for getting a booth or table. Yes confirming attendance is important and making sure that the convention is payed for the space. In my opinion they are going to far. Imagine if they did the same thing for a general convention ticket. Their could be less people going to the con due to the question.

I also had another thought. I first want to make it clear that I think asking pronouns is a great idea, but asking pronouns also kind of covers that second question when the person shows up at the table. It'll be clear that the sex is different from the gender when you see the person.

Having this extra question does help to make it a little more like 'oh, wait'.

On top of that it, the specific con that he was talking about is a bigger con and hence has big name people. I understand that they may be trying to get more webcomic people, but you're still going for big names. You don't need to know about the gender, you just need to know they're well-known.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:46 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

I also had another thought. I first want to make it clear that I think asking pronouns is a great idea, but asking pronouns also kind of covers that second question when the person shows up at the table. It'll be clear that the sex is different from the gender when you see the person.

On top of that it, the specific con that he was talking about is a bigger con and hence has big name people. I understand that they may be trying to get more webcomic people, but you're still going for big names. You don't need to know about the gender, you just need to know they're well-known.

Identities of people has become more complicated. From what I learned a person can have a Gender Identity and a sexual orientation. It's hard to keep up with the changes and many people don't want to offend them. Freedom of expression and Freedom of speech often go hand in hand. In the United States their is a lot of problems with that lately. So using pronouns can be confusing and I feel not needed when setting up a booth or getting a ticket at a con. Unfortunately culture is now confusing. Hopefully people will act like adults at a con and everyone respectful. I'm going to be really curious as to how things go at Colossalcon in Ohio. I'm hoping for a safe and fun time for those going. I've noticed that Cosplayers in general are more accommodating than the public in general (My Opinion).  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:45 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

Identities of people has become more complicated. From what I learned a person can have a Gender Identity and a sexual orientation. It's hard to keep up with the changes and many people don't want to offend them. Freedom of expression and Freedom of speech often go hand in hand. In the United States their is a lot of problems with that lately. So using pronouns can be confusing and I feel not needed when setting up a booth or getting a ticket at a con. Unfortunately culture is now confusing. Hopefully people will act like adults at a con and everyone respectful. I'm going to be really curious as to how things go at Colossalcon in Ohio. I'm hoping for a safe and fun time for those going. I've noticed that Cosplayers in general are more accommodating than the public in general (My Opinion).

I just say what I think they prefer (if I don't know in advance) and if they correct me, then they correct me. I tell them I'm sorry and I will use what they want.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:57 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

I just say what I think they prefer (if I don't know in advance) and if they correct me, then they correct me. I tell them I'm sorry and I will use what they want.

You do have a point. A lot of the identity issues can come from misunderstandings. It's a learning curve on both sides. When I fill out job forms their is an option of "prefer not to answer". As long as that option is their when filling out a convention form than things should be ok. A convention that insists on an answer is not being fair.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:27 am
angelmage99
That was quite a telling video. What's up with Anime NYC not allowing Cosplay. Horror is a huge genre in Anime, TV series, and movies. I bet their ticket sales will be a bit lower.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:03 am
smithers456
angelmage99
That was quite a telling video. What's up with Anime NYC not allowing Cosplay. Horror is a huge genre in Anime, TV series, and movies. I bet their ticket sales will be a bit lower.

From what I gathered it was cosplays that represent a fictional hate group. The ban mostly focused on Tonya the Evil cosplayers.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:25 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99

From what I gathered it was cosplays that represent a fictional hate group. The ban mostly focused on Tonya the Evil cosplayers.

Wow it was quite convincing. They certainly did a really good job on their "Skit". I imagine their are groups or people against or hate Cosplay. I do know that some think that it shouldn't be around because of how "scantily" dressed some of the female Cosplayers are. Most of those female cosplayers are cosplaying characters that they like.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:45 pm

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:10 pm
angelmage99

Interesting, sad, and typical article for these times. Ashleigh as you know Cosplay originally came from Japan. In America their is an ever growing divide between cultures, races, and color. Cosplay is suppose to be about the joy of expressing characters that you like in Cosplays and outfits.

With people who are or not Japanese complaining about people cosplaying variations of characters like color is absurd. They wouldn't do that. Everything lately is under attack. Cosplayers need to rise above the nonsense and not fall into the traps like the one that the streamer mentioned. I really feel for the lady.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 am
smithers456

Interesting, sad, and typical article for these times. Ashleigh as you know Cosplay originally came from Japan. In America their is an ever growing divide between cultures, races, and color. Cosplay is suppose to be about the joy of expressing characters that you like in Cosplays and outfits.

With people who are or not Japanese complaining about people cosplaying variations of characters like color is absurd. They wouldn't do that. Everything lately is under attack. Cosplayers need to rise above the nonsense and not fall into the traps like the one that the streamer mentioned. I really feel for the lady.

Cosplay originated here in the US in the 1920s, however the modern interpretation of it is very Japanese in origin.

I watch a lot of Joey's videos. One of the topics that I wished he touched on was that African American cosplayers will often use hairstyles that are considered "black hair" for a special reason. It is a symbol of pride for them during a time that natural hair can be considered "ugly" by some (I personally think if you can rock an afro, then rock it).  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:56 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

Cosplay originated here in the US in the 1920s, however the modern interpretation of it is very Japanese in origin.

I watch a lot of Joey's videos. One of the topics that I wished he touched on was that African American cosplayers will often use hairstyles that are considered "black hair" for a special reason. It is a symbol of pride for them during a time that natural hair can be considered "ugly" by some (I personally think if you can rock an afro, then rock it).

I'm curious. What kind of characters were Cosplayed in the 1920's. Also I didn't know their was cosplay then. For me I was introduced to the concept of Cosplay back in 2007. I Love Anime / Manga Cosplays the most. My Cosplay Photography shows that. Well they say you learn something new everyday.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff