Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Discussion in the Fandom Community Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Gaia's Statement  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:00 pm
angelmage99

Wow this is really scary and so wrong. I feel an insult to artists everywhere  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:44 pm
Cosplay Dress Code?

So there's the description of this article, but I do encourage people to do their own research.

Quote:

So the rundown is Neo Anime Oasis (Boise, ID) recently implemented a new dress code for what you can wear to conventions. The new policy stated that all cosplays must fit within the theme of the convention. As Neo Anime Oasis is an Anime convention that means that cosplays must be anime related or "Japanese Culture Content".

My Opinion:

I find this somewhat BS. First of all what is anime? If you go to Japan then Avatar: The Last Airbender is anime. Besides that it is influenced by anime. By taking away those options of other shows and fandoms, you are:

1) Taking away opportunities for niche western shows (like Avatar, Steven Universe, Homestuck) that don't fit into a perfect category or reflect the age group of the fans. (Anime fans are usually teenagers, Scifi/Fantasy are normally older).

2) It makes it harder to cosplay. You can't just go to Hot Topic find a Steven Universe shirt and throw together an outfit. It has to be anime. No quick and easy costumes for beginners.

3) No one likes to be told what to wear at a casual activity.

Now I will agree (somewhat) on the idea. If the cosplayer is entering a Cosplay contest, yes what they wear should reflect the theme of the convention. I, myself, have been pushing more and more to have a set of costumes for Anime cons and a set for Scifi/fantasy, and Comic Cons.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:10 pm
angelmage99
Cosplay Dress Code?

So there's the description of this article, but I do encourage people to do their own research.

Quote:

So the rundown is Neo Anime Oasis (Boise, ID) recently implemented a new dress code for what you can wear to conventions. The new policy stated that all cosplays must fit within the theme of the convention. As Neo Anime Oasis is an Anime convention that means that cosplays must be anime related or "Japanese Culture Content".

My Opinion:

I find this somewhat BS. First of all what is anime? If you go to Japan then Avatar: The Last Airbender is anime. Besides that it is influenced by anime. By taking away those options of other shows and fandoms, you are:

1) Taking away opportunities for niche western shows (like Avatar, Steven Universe, Homestuck) that don't fit into a perfect category or reflect the age group of the fans. (Anime fans are usually teenagers, Scifi/Fantasy are normally older).

2) It makes it harder to cosplay. You can't just go to Hot Topic find a Steven Universe shirt and throw together an outfit. It has to be anime. No quick and easy costumes for beginners.

3) No one likes to be told what to wear at a casual activity.

Now I will agree (somewhat) on the idea. If the cosplayer is entering a Cosplay contest, yes what they wear should reflect the theme of the convention. I, myself, have been pushing more and more to have a set of costumes for Anime cons and a set for Scifi/fantasy, and Comic Cons.

My experience with Cosplay came in stages:
1. In the 90's and early 2000's I went to Sci Fi / Fantasy Conventions. I even worked at them. Only about a quarter of the people were dressed up as characters.
2. I went to my first Anime convention in 2009. It was mostly an Anime convention with a few Sci Fi and gamer Cosplays mixed in. Their was no dress code. You didn't even have to dress up to go to the convention.
3. The few years afterwards it was still mostly Anime and Gamer Cosplays. Everyone was having fun and it didn't matter what character you portrayed.
4. All of a sudden their was a big change. DC and Marvel Cosplayers were allowed to go to Anime conventions. Some liked it some didn't

I think it's fine in the true spirit of Cosplay to dress up as your favorite character no matter who it is. As for a dress code for cosplay and make it an Anime only convention I think that it's fine as long as it's a convention created by fans who want it that way. To change an established convention into an Anime only convention isn't fair to people who have gone to that convention for a long time. I think that doing this dress code thing could kill a convention. I feel that these days people are use to a variety of cosplayers and cosplays.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:34 am

All I have to say is What? and Why?.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:23 pm
Gaia has continued to make AI's a discussion. There's their latest Q&A.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:03 am
angelmage99

All I have to say is What? and Why?.

After watching the AO3 video I wasn't surprised about the attack on it. There are many companies, groups, and individuals who Love causing mischief and making money from hacking websites and companies. Some go out of their way to attack innocent, fun, and productive websites. A big example of that is Facebook. What is scary is that AI's could become a tool for the hackers. I'm old enough that I know what the World was like before the internet. I don't want to go back to those times.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:55 pm
Hey guys. Found a new topic. I couldn't find any article, but I did find some videos. I'll also give a summery of the topic too.

Quote:
At NYC Comic Con Cosplay Contest a competitor dressed up as a bookshelf. The fans loved the costume, but the costume did not win any prizes that day. This is even with the audience chatting the "Mimic, Mimic" over and over (costume he was doing). The cosplayer later went onto social media (instead of going to the judges) and complained.

Official Comic Con Video (starting at said cosplayer)
Commentary Video #1
Commentary Video #2  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:00 am
I watched the commentary videos. And Mimic Mimic cosplayer. Having attended many cosplay competitions in the past I agree with the commentators. As you know a lot of work goes into creating cosplay outfits. When someone enters a contest, they need to realize that someone else's cosplay outfit could be better than theirs for many reasons. Also, most of the cosplayers are the best of the best which can make it hard to pick a winner.

The Mimic Mimic Cosplay was awesome, and I like D & D a lot. The person did an awesome job making the outfit. I would even want to take a picture of the outfit.

Disrespecting the convention and the other cosplayers who were in the competition online is the worst thing that someone can do. Many conventions right now are struggling to keep running. They don't need bad press to make people not want to go to the convention.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:43 am
smithers456
I watched the commentary videos. And Mimic Mimic cosplayer. Having attended many cosplay competitions in the past I agree with the commentators. As you know a lot of work goes into creating cosplay outfits. When someone enters a contest, they need to realize that someone else's cosplay outfit could be better than theirs for many reasons. Also, most of the cosplayers are the best of the best which can make it hard to pick a winner.

The Mimic Mimic Cosplay was awesome, and I like D & D a lot. The person did an awesome job making the outfit. I would even want to take a picture of the outfit.

Disrespecting the convention and the other cosplayers who were in the competition online is the worst thing that someone can do. Many conventions right now are struggling to keep running. They don't need bad press to make people not want to go to the convention.

Cosplay Stitch and Seam made a comment about it in their second to last podcast and they said that 'if you have an issue then you should contact the cosplay contest head (not the judges)'.

I didn't know this, but one of the people on the podcast is a contest head/Judge and I had made a comment about how I couldn't enter a contest because one of the judges had wronged me in the past (I didn't want to give out details, other than the name, as to seem like a trash talker) and I didn't feel comfortable about her judging one of my costumes. She hasn't been a judge at that convention since. So I wonder they took that to heart.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:32 pm
Though the cosplay is pretty cool, I agree. The winners still had amazing costumes, it's not like it was undeserved? It's a shame that people choose to have poor sportsmanship if they don't win.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:43 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
I .

Cosplay Stitch and Seam made a comment about it in their second to last podcast and they said that 'if you have an issue then you should contact the cosplay contest head (not the judges)'.

I didn't know this, but one of the people on the podcast is a contest head/Judge and I had made a comment about how I couldn't enter a contest because one of the judges had wronged me in the past (I didn't want to give out details, other than the name, as to seem like a trash talker) and I didn't feel comfortable about her judging one of my costumes. She hasn't been a judge at that convention since. So I wonder they took that to heart.

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with a judge. I usually assume that the people running the contests and judges are all decent people and their to support cosplayers.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:34 pm
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
I .

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with a judge. I usually assume that the people running the contests and judges are all decent people and their to support cosplayers.

Not all judges. I know of another judge who started out very bias, but I think she's chilled since then.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:48 pm
yeah, judges are still just people too, and not always of the most upstanding character. I've seen some people selected as judges for local events because of their vast build/sewing knowledge, only to be replaced because of their behavior or not invited back because they showed a pattern of favoring people they already knew

thankfully i feel like a lot of cons try to be more conscious of who they're making a judge now than several years ago  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:33 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
yeah, judges are still just people too, and not always of the most upstanding character. I've seen some people selected as judges for local events because of their vast build/sewing knowledge, only to be replaced because of their behavior or not invited back because they showed a pattern of favoring people they already knew

thankfully i feel like a lot of cons try to be more conscious of who they're making a judge now than several years ago

It's sad that some of the judges have bad behavior. Thinking about it they can pick favorites even before the cosplayers walk on stage. Yes I agree that we are all human beings with good and bad traits. I just hope that most of them are more decent in their judgement and behavior than others.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff