Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Strange Events at a Convention Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 pm
At my first convention I went to a Game Room and a bunch of people were playing a role playing game. Each person told something about themselves and then picked a character. The strange thing that happened was the DM who a big book that he was reading from. It turned out to be a random Live Action Dare book.

Some of the dares were questions and then some of them were out right dangerous like taring apart parts of the con area's or doing things like swinging from a rope off of a balcony. Yes they weren't kidding. At that point my brother and I first left the room and even the con for the day. I certainly didn't want to be around when these people were doing their dares. They even tried to get us to stay. No Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:24 pm
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

Between the two I would go with the Belle Cosplay.

I'll do all the Disney Princesses one day. Right now I have Ice Queen Elsa partly done, but I have patterns for Coronation and Adventure Anna, Coronation Elsa, Cinderella, Merida, Belle, and Snow White. As more patterns are released I'll buy those too.

I can't wait to see how they turn out. When you're dressed as a Disney Princess do kids come up to you and even want to take photos with you? Stephanie had that happen before.

What do you think of my new Avi?

That will be the downside. If I want a break then I'll have to run from kids. LOL.

Sailor Jupiter inspired?  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:31 pm
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

I'll do all the Disney Princesses one day. Right now I have Ice Queen Elsa partly done, but I have patterns for Coronation and Adventure Anna, Coronation Elsa, Cinderella, Merida, Belle, and Snow White. As more patterns are released I'll buy those too.

I can't wait to see how they turn out. When you're dressed as a Disney Princess do kids come up to you and even want to take photos with you? Stephanie had that happen before.

That will be the downside. If I want a break then I'll have to run from kids. LOL.

Sailor Jupiter inspired?

Yes my Avi is based on Sailor Jupiter. It a while to get the items for her. Yes it would be funny to see you running away from the kids.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:30 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

Sailor Jupiter inspired?

Yes my Avi is based on Sailor Jupiter. It a while to get the items for her. Yes it would be funny to see you running away from the kids.

Double since some younger kids would be bigger than me.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 pm
In my early days of taking Cosplay photos I would come across strange photoshoots. One was when they had a Final Fantasy Photoshoot where their were multiple cosplays of the same character. Right after the Final Fantasy photoshoot their was a Naruto Photoshoot with multiple cosplays. One character was Naruto himself where their was about 10 of them including a baby Naruto! Also their were a lot of Hinata's as well. Then the two groups mixed up together.

One Cosplay Photoshoot was a bunch of guys crossplaying Sailor Scouts. They did a good job. At the Sailor Moon Panel that came later they asked each guy to come up and let everyone know why they picked a certain scout to crossplay. Their answers really let you know that they liked the series and the scouts. This is why I miss the conventions because you never know what you will come across.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 am
smithers456
In my early days of taking Cosplay photos I would come across strange photoshoots. One was when they had a Final Fantasy Photoshoot where their were multiple cosplays of the same character. Right after the Final Fantasy photoshoot their was a Naruto Photoshoot with multiple cosplays. One character was Naruto himself where their was about 10 of them including a baby Naruto! Also their were a lot of Hinata's as well. Then the two groups mixed up together.

One Cosplay Photoshoot was a bunch of guys crossplaying Sailor Scouts. They did a good job. At the Sailor Moon Panel that came later they asked each guy to come up and let everyone know why they picked a certain scout to crossplay. Their answers really let you know that they liked the series and the scouts. This is why I miss the conventions because you never know what you will come across.

For me I miss cons because I have a lot of friends who live in different places. I miss seeing them and hanging out.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

For me I miss cons because I have a lot of friends who live in different places. I miss seeing them and hanging out.

I wish that I had a group of friends to hang out with at a convention. Usually it's just my brother my niece and I. This Guild has helped me get closer to that reality. I would love to meet more Guild members in person. So far that has happened only once.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:58 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

I wish that I had a group of friends to hang out with at a convention. Usually it's just my brother my niece and I. This Guild has helped me get closer to that reality. I would love to meet more Guild members in person. So far that has happened only once.

Same. I've met several Gaia friends in RL. My VC when I ran a guild and one other person, but no one from this guild. A couple of the guild members go to Sakura Con here and there, but because I moved going to that con requires a 13 hr drive and plane tickets is over $800.

However there's still a chance for Kaya and I to meet up. She lives somewhere straight northish of me.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:34 pm
Another Strange Event that is popular is Convention Scavenger Hunts. You get a list of items that includes things to find, people to meet, events to go, etc. One time I found a Scavenger item by mistake and thought that someone lost their card. I asked around and found out that it was one of the Scavenger Hunt items. I usually only go to the main day of the conventions I go to so it wasn't worth my time looking for more items.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:11 am
smithers456
Another Strange Event that is popular is Convention Scavenger Hunts. You get a list of items that includes things to find, people to meet, events to go, etc. One time I found a Scavenger item by mistake and thought that someone lost their card. I asked around and found out that it was one of the Scavenger Hunt items. I usually only go to the main day of the conventions I go to so it wasn't worth my time looking for more items.

I was a volunteer for an My Hero Academia Escape room. It was fun to watch people try to figure stuff out.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:13 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

I was a volunteer for an My Hero Academia Escape room. It was fun to watch people try to figure stuff out.

Wow an escape room!! That's cool. I take it that the escape room was based on the series. It would be interesting to have more escape rooms based on other series. I've never been in any kind of escape room. It had to be really fun. Were their prizes involved or just the satisfaction of getting through it. Also what happened if a group didn't figure the room out?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:57 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

Wow an escape room!! That's cool. I take it that the escape room was based on the series. It would be interesting to have more escape rooms based on other series. I've never been in any kind of escape room. It had to be really fun. Were their prizes involved or just the satisfaction of getting through it. Also what happened if a group didn't figure the room out?

I think the story was that some students (those doing the game) failed a test and were doing a retest. One that involved using there head and escaping Aizawa's classroom.

There was some small prizes. They couldn't go to expensive since it was really popular (and booked). If the group didn't figure it out they were invited to try again and set free.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 pm
One strange and interesting event was live Cosplay Shougi Chess. A room was set up as a Chess board and each square had another room for a Cosplayer. When a Cosplayer attacked another one. The attacker user their characters abilities. The defender did the same. Their was two people who ran the different sides of the game and the host would ask why a character died. Some characters even came back to life. All of the rules of the game were followed. It was so cool to watch. Youmacon usually plays this game at their cons. When the game ended it gave me a chance to take photos of the players.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:56 am
smithers456
One strange and interesting event was live Cosplay Shougi Chess. A room was set up as a Chess board and each square had another room for a Cosplayer. When a Cosplayer attacked another one. The attacker user their characters abilities. The defender did the same. Their was two people who ran the different sides of the game and the host would ask why a character died. Some characters even came back to life. All of the rules of the game were followed. It was so cool to watch. Youmacon usually plays this game at their cons. When the game ended it gave me a chance to take photos of the players.

I've never seen shogi done, just regular chess. That's pretty cool.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:03 am
angelmage99
smithers456

I've never seen shogi done, just regular chess. That's pretty cool.

Actually Shougi Chess is much older than regular chess and their some different pieces like General, Emperor (if I remember it right) and Most of the basic moves are the same. The rules are a bit different though. It's based on a version of Japanese chess. Check the rules out online!!.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff