Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Strange Events at a Convention Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:14 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
One strange and interesting event was live Cosplay Shougi Chess. A room was set up as a Chess board and each square had another room for a Cosplayer. When a Cosplayer attacked another one. The attacker user their characters abilities. The defender did the same. Their was two people who ran the different sides of the game and the host would ask why a character died. Some characters even came back to life. All of the rules of the game were followed. It was so cool to watch. Youmacon usually plays this game at their cons. When the game ended it gave me a chance to take photos of the players.

I've never seen shogi done, just regular chess. That's pretty cool.

Actually Shougi Chess is much older than regular chess and their some different pieces like General, Emperor (if I remember it right) and Most of the basic moves are the same. The rules are a bit different though. It's based on a version of Japanese chess. Check the rules out online!!.

Know what's older than both of them: Go. I know a bit of those rules, but shogi is something I haven't studied to play yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:57 am
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
One strange and interesting event was live Cosplay Shougi Chess. A room was set up as a Chess board and each square had another room for a Cosplayer. When a Cosplayer attacked another one. The attacker user their characters abilities. The defender did the same. Their was two people who ran the different sides of the game and the host would ask why a character died. Some characters even came back to life. All of the rules of the game were followed. It was so cool to watch. Youmacon usually plays this game at their cons. When the game ended it gave me a chance to take photos of the players.

Actually Shougi Chess is much older than regular chess and their some different pieces like General, Emperor (if I remember it right) and Most of the basic moves are the same. The rules are a bit different though. It's based on a version of Japanese chess. Check the rules out online!!.

Know what's older than both of them: Go. I know a bit of those rules, but shogi is something I haven't studied to play yet.

I had to print out the rules for Shougi Chess just to follow the game. That would be cool to play live cosplay Go.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:05 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

I had to print out the rules for Shougi Chess just to follow the game. That would be cool to play live cosplay Go.

It would have to be a downgraded version. Otherwise you'd need way too many people and it would be hard to put on.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:37 am
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

It would have to be a downgraded version. Otherwise you'd need way too many people and it would be hard to put on.

Could do a smaller version of the playing field, I'm sure that it would be easy enough to pick two teams.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:35 pm
I don't think I ever posted to this thread. Well? I'll do so now!

First, allegedly at Katsucon several years ago, there was a grouping of Attack on Titan cosplayers on the gazebo level(people who have been to Katsu know of what I speak(BURN THE FALSE GOD)), when all of a sudden, this Ereh Jaeger cosplayer runs toward the gazebo, then at the last second, sidesteps it and jumps over the railing to the level below, landing on top of a table and breaking it. I don't know if this REALLY happened., but a friend of mine said he saw it, so... *shrug*

Then there was this Spider Man cosplayer who climbed a cable attaching the awning on the Hampton Roads Convention Center to the ground* and got kicked out of the con and banned from the premises...

(*Google pictures of it, you'll see what I mean.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:16 pm
OnsenMark
I don't think I ever posted to this thread. Well? I'll do so now!

First, allegedly at Katsucon several years ago, there was a grouping of Attack on Titan cosplayers on the gazebo level(people who have been to Katsu know of what I speak(BURN THE FALSE GOD)), when all of a sudden, this Ereh Jaeger cosplayer runs toward the gazebo, then at the last second, sidesteps it and jumps over the railing to the level below, landing on top of a table and breaking it. I don't know if this REALLY happened., but a friend of mine said he saw it, so... *shrug*

Then there was this Spider Man cosplayer who climbed a cable attaching the awning on the Hampton Roads Convention Center to the ground* and got kicked out of the con and banned from the premises...

(*Google pictures of it, you'll see what I mean.)

Hi Onsen nice to see you and thanks for posting. At my first convention back in 2009 my brother and I joined a group where they had a big book and each person had to do something that was in it. My brother and I left when the other members of the group wanted to do dangerous stunts elsewhere on the convention grounds. Sometimes Cosplayers take their characters too seriously and literally risk life and limb. That can happen with D&D LARP groups too.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:13 am
The Spiderman cosplayer reminds me of all the Assassin's Creed cosplayers spotted in odd spots.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:29 am
OnsenMark

Also. You're an East Coast Cosplayer right? Would you help me out with getting info together in the Northeast Conventions. I'm looking to make info about pros and con's about each con. Like if the staff of the convention did a no-no or if they brought positivity to the con.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:38 pm
angelmage99
OnsenMark

Also. You're an East Coast Cosplayer right? Would you help me out with getting info together in the Northeast Conventions. I'm looking to make info about pros and con's about each con. Like if the staff of the convention did a no-no or if they brought positivity to the con.

I can help a bit when I can find time -- things right now are making my head spin some, but I can help when I can.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:19 pm
OnsenMark
angelmage99
OnsenMark

I can help a bit when I can find time -- things right now are making my head spin some, but I can help when I can.

I just mainly need opinions. Part of the thread will include what people think of each con as well as any things of noteworthy about them. Like 'they did a good job reacting to X' or 'recently they said X which is causing problems within the community'.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash