[PRP] Holding Pattern (Elibrie/Padmia)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:18 pm
Once she'd finished with Kesucianth's bath and oiling, Elibrie had returned to the Barracks to change into dry clothes before going back to rejoin her dragon outside as he dried.  She didn't mind getting wet in the process, but sitting around in damp clothes was hardly comfortable, and besides that, she was fastidious enough that it would have bothered her regardless.  She returned to a croon and a gentle nuzzle from Kesucianth, and a wave of love as though she'd been gone for far longer than she had.  She planted a little kiss on his muzzle and settled herself on a blanket beside him, and they were quickly joined by her flits: Lullaby in her lap, Chomps kneading a corner of the blanket into a suitable nest, while the others set to playing on and around Kesucianth, who was as patiently tolerant of it as he always had been.

This was how they'd spent most of their restday mornings for the last several months, taking their time and enjoying being outside, even when it had been cold.  Afterwards, they'd try to get some time in somewhere with Oranie - and Lusialu - though sometimes it could be difficult with everyone's varying schedules.  In the meantime, they'd just enjoy the time with each other, and the relative quiet.  Elibrie was looking forward to when they'd have their own weyr in the next sevenday or so, though for all she knew yet they might well be sharing it with a classmate.  Even if that was the case, it would still be something like personal space, and she'd appreciate it, and certainly not complain.

She petted Lullaby idly as she sat in companionable silence with Kesucianth, musing about what she might do once she had her own space.  It was something to think about to distract herself with while she waited for another letter.  There'd been a bit of a gap again, and she was trying not to let herself worry over it too much, with varying degrees of success.  For the moment, though, thinking about inviting Lusialu over for a teaparty was working well enough.

Uta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:15 pm
Life had taken on an edge of routine and seeming normalcy. She awoke early each morning to help with the baking and make sure everything was running in the kitchens. Some mornings she'd conference with her assistant and make sure they had enough hands scheduled in the days ahead and were prepared for upcoming tithes and incoming supplies; some afternoons she'd spend with Zheria or Olliah, discussing upcoming arrivals and invited guests; discussion of audits and what the Weyr needed and what was surplus; who needed fostering; future Searches and big event; and others still she'd meet with various workers to discuss complaints, concerns, or general discontent. She was constantly addressing firedrills that would crop up, and while she had plenty of help, helping keep the Weyr going so riders didn't have to worry was still a substantially big job.

Some days she was grateful for the work, for it kept her mind from wandering. Worry wouldn't make the days pass any quicker, and though she worried about Juhvek and his recovery, she did her best to take comfort in the knowledge he was still with them, and would someday come back to the Weyr. Plans had already been made, a room already prepared or at least in the process of being renovated. She had made countless trips to Landing since the winter, either with Alosha, Damia, or B'ram as she could--but the cold reality was that the world didn't stop when injuries occurred--and while Padmia was allowed to take time to deal with her emotions, she was also a woman who kept her vulnerabilities bottled up. She had mourned the loss of Juhvek's opportunity in Candidacy, and his loss of ability to walk... but he was still alive, and he still would have a life to come home to. She would be strong for him, and ensure his next phase of life was comfortable.

She could, and would, do that much.

Injuries were something she had grown to see firsthand; she'd watched ex-lovers and friends succumb to the tangling masses of Thread or fire, watched her children and their dragons suffer scores and injuries. Alosha had been temporarily grounded most recently; and even B'ram's poor dragon had lost a leg. This past Turn had been chaotic and painful without Juhvek's accident. It was unfortunate and unfair... but such was the harsh reality of the world they lived. He was still a Weyrbrat, no matter if he was no longer a Candidate--and Padmia was grateful that the Weyr would allow him to return, to see if he could manage. He wasn't the first person in the Weyr to suffer debilitating injury and he wouldn't be the last; it didn't make what happened any easier to bear, but all she could do was hope for his future, that he might be close to family, and find happiness renewed.

Today was a day where she had some time on her hands. While she hated to be idle, she understood the importance of rest, or at least the importance of allowing her assistant to take the reigns for a spell. The afternoon looked inviting, so she decided to take a stroll through the Weyrbowl. The exercise would do her good, and she might focus on the people and dragons of her home.

It was the sight of a pale blue, and his young rider, that did give Padmia pause. She knew exactly who Elibrie was, as well as her dragon; she had known of her since Juhvek had taken them under wing, and had even been scolded by F'dral for hovering; she knew of her when Juhvek had actually decided to stand for a clutch at Western--something which Padmia strongly did not approve of; and she knew her now as the reluctant blue rider. Rumors had a way of spreading like wildfire in a Weyr, and High Reaches was no exception. Stories were swapped easily down in the kitchens and lower caverns, and Padmia often heard them all.

Perhaps it was high time she better acquaint herself.

"A fine afternoon to be outside. It's Elibrie, right?" She asked, striding over in her usual fashion. She did what she wanted, and just try to stop her once she made up her mind. "Your blue is looking mighty handsome as he catches the light." She spoke approvingly, looking up at the large dragon, before giving a firm nod.

Nevermind that she might be bothering the girl; she was out on a blanket, after all. That was fair enough game for Padmia.

Meepfur

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:13 pm
Relaxing with his eyes shut and his head tilted up towards the sun, and with his rider beside him, Kesucianth was quite at peace - even with the firelizards flitting about and giving voice to various cheeps, chitters, and trills as they frolicked on and around him. They'd been here before him, and he was well used to them all. It was a fine afternoon, and he was more than happy to sit and enjoy it quietly with His for awhile. She often preferred to be outside in the fresh air rather than in, even during the winter...though summer obviously required considerably fewer layers, and made it easier to stay out longer. As he was in a gray area of almost-dozing, he didn't realize anyone was approaching until he felt the sudden spike of surprise from his previously calm rider. Since it was surprise and not alarm, however, his eyes were still a calm blue-green when he opened them, and he sent a gentle, wordless greeting to their unexpected company.

Elibrie, of course, knew well who their company was, and was quite shocked to see that it was Padmia who was headed their way. While she was Juhvek's mother, she was also the Headwoman, which was, quite frankly, probably even a little bit more impressive than the Weyrwoman, at least to Elibrie. Picking Lullaby up from her lap so as not to dump him to the ground, she hurried to her feet so that she might give Padmia a proper, respectful greeting. "Headwoman," she acknowledged, before going on to answer, "It is."

She followed her look to Kesucianth, and smiled in spite of the nervousness that had welled up. What could the Headwoman possibly want with her? Not that she would dare ask. If she'd still been a Candidate, she'd have been terrified, but as it was, she was still a fair bit intimidated. "Thank you. He's been growing into himself very well."

He'd managed to avoid any sort of awkward stage, at least to Elibrie's eye. Which was admittedly biased.

Uta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:04 pm
"No need to get up on my account, girl, I insist please--keep yourself comfortable," she spoke with a smile, though her words were firm. She might have been a person of rank at the Weyr, but she had never been the sort to require the sort of groveling other people with title and importance might. She was just a woman, who had proven competent and responsible enough to help keep the Weyr running for riders like Elibrie to focus on their dragons and their work. She might have never Impressed herself, as a Candidate, but she found great satisfaction in working at the Weyr.

Padmia did allow herself a moment to admire the growing blue. "He's as handsome a blue as any I've seen--and I've seen many of them in my time." Her words were sincere, as well as her admiration. There was no pang of envy though, no hint of loss; any regret she had felt at aging out had long been washed away by the happy life and relationships she had formed with many a High Reaches man and woman--rider and weyrfolk alike. Along with the good so came the bad--and heartache was all but guaranteed now that Thread had returned That Kesucianth had no scars, no wounds, was proof enough of his age and youth; she could only hope it would be some time before he saw his first scars and battle wounds.

Ah, but she hadn't come just to admire the dragon, no. She had come to have a few words with Elibrie--or at least to finally start getting to know the girl who was so close a friend with her son. While she knew many a rider, and many a worker--there were still faces she did not know well. Elibrie happened to be one of them. "Blue's seem to be your style, I see," she mused, glancing down at Lullaby with another smile.

But that was neither here nor there. Instead, she looked at Elibrie and gave a small, formal bow in greeting. "Well met then, Elibrie--I suppose I should have started out that way instead of waltzing over without a second thought. I seem to have a few moments to spare, and thought I might see how you're faring? I meant to do so long before now--but have no excuse. Work being what it is doesn't leave much time, and Juhvek--" this time her words did falter some, perhaps a break in her voice, which she hastily cleared, "... Well, between injuries and Threadfall and bad luck concernin' family, I simply haven't had much time to call my own and let the days rush by without a thought to call my own."

Juhvek, Alosha, and B'ram had all suffered injuries, or injured dragons--and Padmia had worried herself ill more nights than she'd ever care to admit. They were all healing, in their own ways; no one had died, thank Faranth--but life had taken an emotional and physical toll on the woman, no matter how much she downplayed it.

Meepfur

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:00 pm
This was the sort of situation Elibrie tended to struggle with - someone in a position of authority insisting that she not follow the etiquette that her grandmother had drilled into her head for as long as she could remember. Because on the one hand, she needed to do as she was told, but on the other hand...rules, even if sometimes they were rather arbitrary ones, or at least rooted in very different sensibilities than those of the Weyr. But, with no small amount of internal struggle, and clutching rather tightly at Lullaby - though not enough to cause him and discomfort - she did sit back down. But now she was sitting down, and the Headwoman was standing while she practically just gawked up at her, and she could almost feel a hand smacking her in the back of the head.

"Would...you like to sit?" she offered, as it seemed the only polite option, and reached to gather Chomps from the other end of the blanket just in case. He huffed and grumbled about it, but resigned himself to the situation and settled in next to her. Hmph. When Padmia pointed out her abundance of blue companions, Elibrie flushed, looking down for a moment. "Juhvek s-said something similar once, after my third one hatched." He'd called her a 'blue magnet,' and, well, he hadn't been wrong, even if it had worried her terribly at the time. It was something she thought about often, and it was bittersweet - he'd been right, but hadn't gotten to see it. Instead...

The young bluerider carefully pulled herself out of that loop of thought for the thousandth time; she had at least finally managed to struggle her way past a point where talking about even positive times with her absent friend was upsetting, though a sharp pang yet remained. Meanwhile, Kesucianth, whom he'd all but predicted, gently soothed the keener edges from it, almost reflexively. She glanced back up just in time to catch Padmia's formal little bow, and that went quite a ways toward banishing the feeling for at least a moment, as it was replaced by a sudden desire to sink into the ground. "It's- I'm glad to meet you properly, as well." Oh, Faranth. Just breathe and use your words, Elibrie. But then Padmia asked how she was, and there was a familiar break in her voice when she mentioned Juhvek, and so she rushed to assure her, "It's- It's fine, you didn't have to. I know you have a lot to do - more than I can imagine, probably."

Elibrie certainly hadn't expected such a visit, which was likely crystal clear. Even if Padmia hadn't been Headwoman, with so much to do and more, she'd not have assumed that Juhvek's mother would take any interest in her. She was his friend, yes, but...still just Elibrie, while she had Juhvek and her other children to focus on. "I'd heard about B'ram and Alosha. I hope they're doing better, and their dragons."

And if she forgot to answer a certain question, it was an honest mistake.

Uta
sorry about this flustered child, lmao

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:55 pm
"I would be delighted to," she agreed amiably. Thankfully, with Elibrie moving Chomps out of the way, there was a perfectly fine patch of blanket to sit upon. "I won't stay long, of course--this is your time, and Faranth knows free time is harder and harder to come by--but I felt it was time I met at least some of my son's friends." That he'd taken so keenly to the two girls from a Hold was a surprise -- and while she hadn't yet met Oranie in an official or personal capacity, it was on her list to seek her out as well. Easier to do on a Candidates schedule, at any rate, as opposed to that of a weyrling.

"Well, it seems he wasn't mistaken. A few blue firelizards, and a fine blue dragon to match. Is your sister as sweet on blues as you are? Or another color, perhaps?" She asked, curious, but also attempting to lighten the mood.

From what she could tell, Elibrie certainly seemed tense, or perhaps anxious? She seemed to keep her gaze low, or at least found the ground an interesting place to look. Well, Padmia was no spring wherry, and had met countless individuals with various levels of shyness, anxiety, and uncertainty; like she did with all of them, the Headwoman was more than willing to tear down those walls with sheer force of will.

Elibrie's assurances did have her smile, and allowed her just a moment to swallow hard and carry on. "Well, it's only proper. I'm not unaware you correspond with him regularly enough--and seeing as I'm to keep tabs on keeping the riders and weyrfolk of this place, and ensure they're well provided for and taken care of, comfortable, and otherwise able to do their jobs without worry--I try make it a habit of getting to know everyone. I'm afraid I've been a bit behind on that count, especially lately."

Giving a small, apologetic dip of her head, she carried on the conversation as breezily as she could. "Aye, they're healing up they are. All three of them area, really. Tis unfortunate, but at least they're still alive and breathin'. B'ram and Alosha will be back in the fighting wings soon enough--though I admittedly don't mind them taking a reprieve. Damia's still fighting well as a white rider can, and still quite unscathed, luckily enough." Or at least, not so damaged that she couldn't carry on her duties. That was all she cared about. There were too many close calls with her children--she couldn't handle another.

"Won't be long before you and your handsome boy will be facing down that Enemy. Are either of you looking forward to taking up the mantel of a full-fledged rider?" Perhaps it was an odd question, but Padmia was always curious to know. Some weyrlings were chomping at the bit to face Thread, while others were terrified, and rightfully so. There was no wrong answer, really, but attached to a dragon these days often meant one thing and only one thing -- risking life and limb to save those who couldn't save themselves. A dangerous affair... but Padmia would always be grateful.

Harpers might have written dragon riding as a glory filled affair--but it was dangerous. Nothing about dragon riding came simply, or easily.

Meepfur

Uta
Captain

Shy Mage

Meepfur
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:49 am
Elibrie felt a bit better once Padmia sat down, less rude for being comfortable while the Headwoman stood, though it was intimidating in its own way to be sitting across from her.  She kept one hand on Lullaby while stroking Chomps with the other, keeping the paler and grumpier blue at least somewhat content.  He watched their visitor through narrowed red eyes, but that was the only sign of his mood; he was fairly well-behaved, overall, unless directly challenged, or else he'd have been a real problem.

"We don't mind," she assured the older woman, as far as taking up their time went.  While she did enjoy these quiet mornings with Hers, it certainly didn't bother her to have company, either - even if it remained hard to fathom that she would be of any interest.  But perhaps Juhvek would be pleased to have a report on his friends, since they were unable to visit and could only write to him.  Meanwhile, the fine blue dragon laid his head down and half-closed his eyes - while he was listening, of course, it would have been quite rude to simply loom over the two.  Brightstar and Moondrop each clung to a headknob, chittering at each other, before they started hopping back and forth, making a game of trading places.  Kesucianth just let out a soft, amused huff.  Snoops hopped down from his neck and pranced toward Padmia with a curious trill.  New person??

"She likes my aunt's brown a lot," Elibrie answered after a moment of thought, "But she's liked some blues, too.  Like Kesucianth, of course." They'd both adored one of the blues who'd hatched at Western, and it had been hard to watch him Impress to someone else, though ultimately it had been for the best, as if he'd wanted one of them they'd have ended up separated.  For her part, she'd always assumed that Oranie would Impress a gold, and Juhvek a bronze, while she would more than likely not Impress at all; she'd obviously been quite wrong about the latter two, and so had given up any ideas about the first beyond hoping that her sister would Impress, sooner rather than later.

The young bluerider flushed a little when Padmia mentioned knowing that she and Juhvek wrote to each other - not that either one of them was writing anything at all revealing, aside from admissions of loneliness, even if she'd actually seen any of the letters. "It's been good to hear from him, especially since we can't visit," she admitted.  She well understood why, and didn't resent it - after all, how could she ever resent or regret Kesucianth? - but it had been hard to go so long without seeing her friend.  She'd had a hard enough time when Oranie had gotten married, but this...this had been so much worse.  As for keeping tabs on everyone in the Weyr, well. "That's an awful lot of people to know.  I'm surprised you have time for anything else at all."

She nodded her understanding at the state of Juhvek's siblings.  It was good to hear that they were healing up, and Padmia did have the right of it - they were still alive and breathing, and Alosha and B'ram at least would be back to normal before long.  When it came to her own future fighting Thread, well... "It will be nice to be useful," was her considered answer.  It was hard to look forward to something that could hurt Kesucianth or take him away from her if things went terribly wrong. "Not that we don't want to," she added, aware that her careful answer could easily be taken the wrong way without context, "But it's...it seems a funny sort of thing to be excited about."

She knew some of her classmates felt differently, but she and Kesucianth just weren't excitable sorts, quite frankly, nor were they after thrills or glory.  They would be content to just do their duty, and there wasn't much more to it than that.

Uta

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff