Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Wandlore III~ OPEN for 2053

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:07 am
ꅐꋬꂚꂟ꒒ꉻꋪꏂ ꒐꒐꒐

User Image

Classroom: The wandlore classroom is on a corner of the first floor, lit by narrow windows along the top of the right and back walls. Long individual workbenches, each with its own reference book and raised platform (for putting a wand or material on), and plain chairs are arranged in neat grid. The professor’s desk is a larger version of the individual desks, positioned in the front-right corner, along with a cushioned swivel chair. The corner behind the desk are two bookcases with wand and broom design and lore. A large blackboard is in the center of the front, with a smaller chalkboard for the agenda. Three sinks line the back wall, for students to wash their hands before working with materials. The left wall is covered by light-colored cabinets with wandmaking supplies and woods. A locked door in the left corner leads to a small storeroom of wand cores, rarer woods, and completed wands.

Class is Friday during Block 1 (9:00 - 10:00) (9am - 10am)

Office Hours: General office hours are held Tue/ Fri 13-18:00 and other times by appointment in Elysia’s office on the first floor.

Fifth Year Curriculum
[ ] Common Woods
[ ] Moderate Woods
[ ] Uncommon Woods
[ ] Rare Woods

Notes for Roleplayers
This thread is also being used as a test for different ways of running classes. Thus I will rarely actually follow the curriculum as listed on the List of Knowledge for scenes, but please assume these potions are all taught at some point in the year. Thank you for your patience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:08 am
reserved just in case

addaellis

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:18 am

User Image∴∵
ELYSIA ASHLEY KIERAN

43 years || Gryffindor Alumna || pureblood
Professsor of Wandlore
Former Beater for the Kenmare Kestrels

Friday morning, Elysia gathered her notes on lesson plans and set them aside on the desk, surveying the new class of fourth years as they filed into the classroom. At first glance Professor Kieran was a severe-looking woman, as even her relaxed expression looked stern and contemplative.

The central board was empty, and the smaller agenda board had only a short question:
Wandlore II:
Who are you? How do you hold yourself?

At precisely the top of the hour, Elysia stood, raising a hand and shutting the door wandlessly. Her voice was lower than might be expected, each word clearly articulated in a slight Irish accent. ”Good morning. Welcome to Wandlore III.”

Elysia glanced around the classroom, seemingly meeting every eye as she continued. ”Today we continue a journey not only in understanding the magic of wands, but also how the magical properties in materials are used in magical instrumentation. More importantly, you will be continuing a journey learning about yourself. The study of wandlore is inherently a study of how we as souls and individuals channel our magic into the world; thus, this class is inherently a study into yourself as a person, and how you interact with the world. Last year you examined cores-- the core of your wand, and the core of your self. This year we will dive into the woods that surround and hold that core, as well as how you surround and hold yourself. Like with other magic, you will get out of the class a reflection of what you put into it.”

Elysia paused again, letting that very philosophical statement about Wandlore sink in as she perched on the edge of her desk. ”I understand your previous wandlore professor did not approach the subject from the same perspective? No matter. It is never too late to look inwards. As this is our first meeting, shall we proceed with introductions? An introduction is, after all, a first impression. I shall begin:

“My name is Elysia Kieran and I am taking over from your previous professor as a guide on your wandlore journey. You may call me Professor Kieran or Mx. Kieran and use female or nonbinary pronouns with me. I approach wandlore from a self-reflective and material sciences perspective. Over the last twenty-some years I have studied wand and broom design with dedicated craftspeople and worked in consulting, research, and by commission for both. During this time I played beater for the Kenmare Kestrals for 14 years, and before that for the United States International team for 11 years. Now. Who are you?”

Elysia left it vague as to who should begin, whether students should stand up and what information to present. To each though, she would ask a seemingly random question to follow up with, question their answer with a little further prodding, before thanking the student for their answer and asking for the next.

∴∵∴∵∴∵

List of follow up questions (Please pick any single line of the questions in as your student’s follow up! Code text included in spoilers for your convenience!)
  • What have your favorite subjects been at Hogwarts? And what did you like about [those subjects]?
    [color=#00009C][b]”What have your favorite subjects been at Hogwarts? ”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]”And what did you enjoy about [subjects]?”[/b][/color]

• What other electives are you in? Why these electives?
    [color=#00009C][b]”What other electives are you in?”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]”And why those electives? ”[/b][/color]

• What did you do over the summer break? And what do you plan to do over the winter break?
    [color=#00009C][b]”What did you do over the summer break?”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]”And what do you plan to do over the winter break?”[/b][/color]

• What is your current understanding of wandlore? What do you hope to learn?
    [color=#00009C][b]”What is your current understanding of wandlore?”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]”What do you hope to learn?”[/b][/color]

• What do you enjoy? Why do you enjoy that/ doing that?
    [color=#00009C][b]”What do you enjoy? ”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]” Why do you enjoy that/ doing that? ”[/b][/color]

• What are you good at? And how do you know you are good at [doing that]?
    [color=#00009C][b]”What are you good at?”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]”And how do you know you are good at [doing that]? ”[/b][/color]

• Look around. What do you see? What do you think others see?
    [color=#00009C][b]”Look around. What do you see? ”[/b][/color]

[color=#00009C][b]”What do you think others see?”[/b][/color]

• _______________

setting Wandlore 3, Fall 2053 || withFifth years
    appearance 5'9", slender athletic build || wearing dark blue wrap coat + jeans
    status New minds, soon to be tested

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
    The night is long
    And the path is dark
    Look to the sky
    For one day soon
    The dawn will come
    ∵∴
    "The Dawn Will Come” from Dragon Age Inquisition. Cover by Peter Hollens and virtual choir.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:53 pm

User Image✶☁
    DUANAIRE LIANE AINDRIAS-EVERA

fifth year || Gryffindor prefect || halfblood
    Art Club mapmaker || Quidditch chaser and vice captain
    irregular attendee of any club events

Aire had to do a double-take at the not-really unfamiliar but definitely unfamiliar face at the front of the Wandlore classroom before taking her usual seat in the third row next to the window. She had quite liked Wandlore for the most part—properties of magical things were always interesting, and the individual tables made excellent spaces for doodling or napping. It wasn’t until the new professor mentioned her name that Aire nearly jumped—Elysia Kieran, who just retired from the Kenmare Kestrels! Good gods of the sea! What was she doing teaching Wandlore?!

So surprised, Aire wasn’t sure what else Professor Kieran mentioned. Something about how wands were part of themselves and a reflection or something poetic like that. And then it was introductions, which felt weird. Aire hadn’t spoken out in front of a whole class since introductions for electives in third year. She tended to keep quiet and just talk to people around her when needed. Usually being in the third row meant she wasn’t first to speak, but for some reason Aire felt like Professor Kieran was staring at her, so after a moment of silence, Aire jumped up. “Um. Hi. I’m Aire Aindrias-Evera. Or Duanaire in the roster. Uh. Gryffindor house. And….she/her. And uh. Yeah!”

”What do you enjoy, Ms. Aindrias-Evera?”

Aire froze, not expecting a question, much less something so seemingly random. She found her voice again, barely audible but still there: “Um. I like Quidditch? And…drawing I guess? I’m in the Art Club.”

”And why do you enjoy Quidditch and drawing?”

“Because they’re fun?” Aire hesitated, not sure why else she would enjoy anything. She was silent for another awkward moment before she offered quietly, “I...like Quidditch because I like flying. And playing with Harmony--err, my cousin.And drawing is...I dunno. It’s...It’s just something I do.”

After another tense moment, Professor Kieran nodded, apparently satisfied. ”Thank you. Next?”

Aire sunk back into her seat, wishing she could melt into the chair. Once she was safely assured she hadn't completely embarrassed herself--other people were getting random questions too-- she started playing back the questions. Why did she like flying and drawing? What else did she enjoy doing? She liked climbing places. She liked being high up because she could feel the wind and it reminded her of the sea breeze from the crow’s nest. She liked drawing buildings—places. Because everywhere looked a little different and the details felt meaningful. (And useful for a perfect crime pranks.) She enjoyed Quidditch because Harmony would always call out funny comments and they’d banter over the communications. She liked doing pranks because Harmony always took part. Because if she did a perfect crime, it became her and Harmony’s new secret. And when she was caught in a prank war, Harmony would do something back. She liked writing silly notes to Austen in their notebook—not because of the homework help (although that was absolutely necessary) but because she liked writing something and knowing she’d get a response. She liked his handwriting and imagining his voice as she read things. She liked feeling like there was a secret there too, and she liked it when he recognized her doodles of places. It felt like a game, and it felt like she was getting to see the world anew again through his eyes.

But what did that all have to do with wandlore?

setting Wandlore, Fall 2053 || with fifth years, Elysia Kieran from the Kenmare Kestrels!!
    appearance 5'2", lithe || wearing uniform, missing the tie and prefect pin
    status What do you mean what do I enjoy?

MJ Spooks

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
    Soon may the Wellerman come
    To bring us sugar
    And tea and rum
    One day, when the tonguing' is done
    We'll take our leave and go.
    ☁✶
    ~"The Wellerman" recorded by Neil Colquhoun. Cover by Malinda.

addaellis

Fifth Year Classes

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff