Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply First Year Classes
Potions I ~ Introduction activity (Sept 2059) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 am
ρσтισиѕ ι

User Image

Classroom: The Potions classroom is an open space in the dungeons. Large tables are arranged so that students can work comfortably in pairs or fours around, with ample walkway room between tables. The front of the classroom is a wall with a large chalkboard with the professor’s desk off to the side. A wide corner nook to the left of the room has a demonstration table, with access to common ingredients and potions supplies, with access to the potions storeroom just beyond. In the corner is a basin into which ice-cold, purified water pours from a gargoyle's mouth. There are cubbies near the door for bags and belongings, where a student can step aside to grab a snack if needed. A bookshelf near the cubbies contains copies of the textbook but also research journals and other potions and herbology manuals.

Classes are Monday through Friday during Block 1 (9:00 - 10:00) (9am - 10am)

Office Hours: MWF 16 - 19:00 (4-7 pm) or weekends by appointment in Verine’s office on the dungeon floor.

First Year Curriculum
[ ] Forgetfulness Potion
[ ] Boil-Cure Potion
[ ] Wiggenweld Potion

Notes for Roleplayers
This thread is also being used as a test for different ways of running classes. Thus I will rarely actually follow the curriculum as listed on the List of Knowledge for scenes, but please assume these potions are all taught at some point in the year. Thank you for your patience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:41 am
fιяѕт уєαя ℓєαяиιиg σвנє¢тινєѕ

• Potions Safety: First year students understand proper safety equipment and attire and behavior around actively brewing potions. They understand the dangers of the potions laboratory and how to handle common ingredients.
  • Fundamental techniques and potions:First years can record their observations and do basic tasks like mash, pour, measure, stir. (Critical Potions: Wiggenweld, Pepperup, Boil-Cure)
  • Potions Theory:First years know the purpose and function of equipment, and understand how potions and spells accomplish their effects and how they differ.

ρσтισиѕ ℓαв gυι∂єℓιиєѕ

• Place your bag in the cubbies at the back. It’s fine to step aside for a drink or snack, but no snacks at the brewing stations, especially not while potions are being brewed.
  • Please come prepared with all your materials and equipment.
  • While brewing, wear protective clothing-- close-toed shoes are a must, tie long hair back, etc.
  • While brewing, take notes on everything.
  • Label all completed potions: Include the potion name, potioneers’ name(s), and date completed.
  • Exam days you are allowed a single index card (provided) of notes. Any complex procedures will be provided.
  • Do not plagiarize anything (not on notes, homework, or exams). You can always ask for more time on exams.
  • Ask questions!

нσω ¢ℓαѕѕєѕ яυи

Verine is a very serious professor when fires are lit and active ingredients are on the tables; otherwise, she is very lax. She keeps class pretty friendly and light– questions are encouraged during any lecture or presentation or demo. She’ll spice up the serious potions with fun potions to hone technique. She is easily distracted in that a student can get her to rant on theory with simple questions, but is always focused on the realm of potions.

First and second years usually have two-week cycles for different topics or potions: It starts with detailed lectures on the information or technique in question, extensive technique and safety discussion and demonstrations (often including alternate brewing methods). Then students try brewing the potion themselves, followed by a day of reflection and troubleshooting, then another brewing day. Each section is concluded by review with some kind of evaluative aspect. If they have a day spare, she usually prefers to have them brewing something in review.

Almost every brewing assignment is done in pairs or small groups. Exams are individual with only a notecard of notes allowed–like everything else in her class, exams tend to be challenging/ difficult/complicated but straightforward–no trick questions. Review days she tries to do something fun. (Actually most days she tries to inject something exciting in.)

Homework can be turned in for full credit as long as it is submitted before the final exam of the semester. It usually includes:

• Prompts of worksheets requiring students to look something a method or recipe in the textbook or library. (background weeks)
  • A write up of whatever notes from that day (lecture days) or report and reflection on the brewing process (brewing days)
  • There is always recommended reading, but most is content covered in lectures.

addaellis

addaellis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:53 am

User Image✽❃
VERINE YSEULT WINCHESTER

51 years || Ravenclaw Alumna || halfblood
Potioneer and Potions Professor

Verine was pacing nervously around her classroom. She hadn’t been so nervous even last year starting out. But last year she had been entirely too lax with the students. This year she vowed to do better. Have more structure.

“Good morning!” Verine started at just past 9:03. “Welcome to Hogwarts! If you’ve all made it, then you know this is Potions 1. With potions, we learn to brew and bottle magic, drawing upon the magical properties in herbs and parts of magical creatures to create our magical effects.”

Verine smiled at the class, reminding herself that these first years didn’t yet have an opinion of her or the entirely too-lax way she ran class. ”Since this is your first class, let’s get to know each other with some introductions. Shall we say...name, house, and classes you’re most looking forward to? Or if you’re not quite sure yet, just something about Hogwarts that you’re excited for.

“So let’s see...My name is Verine Winchester and I was a Ravenclaw at Hogwarts--oh, quite a while ago. Professor Verine, Professor Winchester, whatever you’d like is fine! My favorite classes in school were potions and divination, and I was really excited to learn just about everything.”

Verine listened with a friendly smile as the first years introduced themselves. She made a few notes on her roster, taking attendance with it as they went.

setting Potions 1, Fall 2053 || with First Years
appearance 5'7", 140 lbs || wearing Something from here
status Fresh minds, fresh start!

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Far off in the distance
A fire comes to life
A flicker of a flame breaks through the dark
Burning soft and bright
Dancing with the light
Awakening the Heavens and the Earth
❃✽
"Awakening" by Celtic Woman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:58 am
User Image
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
FIRST-YEAR HUFFLEPUFF
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

User Image

Wyn dropped into her seat feeling a little out of breath. The cauldron was a bit heavy, especially with her copy of Magical Drafts and Potions and the phials clinking around inside it. Her other hand had clasped her set of scales, and she was glad to unburden herself when she reached the table. Eyeing the chalkboard, she pulled a hair tie from around her wrist and pulled her loose curls into a ponytail.

She's pretty, Wyn thought of her potions instructor as she welcomed them. Potions seemed like a pretty simple subject. It was probably like cooking, right? You'd follow a recipe and all. That was something Wyn could surely do. Professor Winchester began the icebreaker, and Wyn waited her turn before speaking:

"I'm Wyn Vaughan-Warde, Hufflepuff." She smiled, still not quite used to associating her name with her house. It felt so good to belong. "I think I'm most excited for Herbology and Astronomy, although this class seems interesting too." She knew that she'd be good at the prior two, being that her bedroom at home was filled with plants and her father's head was filled with stars and planets, or at least images of them. It had taken quite a bit of effort to explain to him just how to take care of each of her little plant babies, and still she worried that she'd return home to a plant graveyard. But anyway, whether she'd be as good with potions remained to be seen. Hope in her eyes, she continued listening to the other students as they made their own introductions.

OOC:
                                                Quote:
                                                Quote:

User Image
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

"I do believe you could excel anywhere, my dear
If you simply put your mind to it
Your trust is encouraging, and well-placed, I assure you
I think you'll do quite well in Hufflepuff!"

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:29 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
♡ Aria ♡ Artemisia Rosalie League ♡
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxx
Time: Fall 2053
------------------------------------------------------------------------xx

Aria felt that the redheaded Professor Winchester made an interesting contrast to the potions room full of questionable looking ingredients (Aria was not thrilled with the idea of cutting up slugs) and no doubt the bubbling and brewing to come. Perhaps it was rude, though, to judge one's personality by what their profession is. A former Ravenclaw who loved to learn, very well suited to be a professor if Aria was judging. She swore she tried not to.

First up was Wyn a Hufflepuff and Aria could not help but feel a bit of disappointment in not getting to be first. She wanted to be seen as a leader. Alas! Still others should be allowed to lead too. Diversity was important.

When it was her turn Aria absolutely glowed as she introduced herself as a Gryffindor: "Artemisia League of Gryffindor. I prefer Aria though." Still smiling she continued, "I'll leave electives out for this one. I'm really looking forward to Charms and History of Magic, though I hope to learn plenty from all my courses."

The knack for charms was supposed to have passed down from her maternal grandmother at the very least who did work for the ministry as an obliviator. Uncle David was quite talented at Charms - and a quite bit of other magic too. And even her mother, despite her apparent uselessness in anything but quidditch and posing for pictures and giving out interviews, had demonstrated spectacular use of charms. There was a reason Cathaline League never bothered hiring a maid. It was easier for her to wave her wand a few times than bothering calling and vetting a maid service for her penthouse.

As for History of Magic, that was obvious Aria felt. Aria dreamed of working for the ministry but she would fail her duty if she could not reflect and learn from history. History was so full of darkness, Aria wanted to learn all that and then find a way to destroy that darkness so it would never happen again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Professor set the hat down carefully on the student's head. For a moment the hat was silent before speaking....
                                                Not your mother, indeed
                                                Looking for bigger, better things, are you?
                                                Well, I'm sure you'll find them in

Gryffindor!
                                                {OoC: }
                                                Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:15 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx⇴ Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Potions Classroom
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Harlynn, Echo, Yari.... and Commoners
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Potions Meet & Greet?
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? This class is disgusting

Ah Potions. One of the two classes that Milan was least looking forward to. Both this one and Herbology involved handling things that were absolutely disgusting, and he wanted no part of them. Unfortunately, he was required to remain in the classes until at least fifth year. It was practically tragic. Walking into the room, he settled near his sisters, crossing his arms with a frown firmly in place.

The teacher, Professor Winchester, introduced herself. Apparently she too had been a Ravenclaw. How interesting. She posed an introductory lesson, and Milan wondered why he'd bothered lugging his potions textbook along. A couple others introduced themselves, and when it got to him, he rolled his eyes, but followed procedure. "My name is Milan Wellbelove, and I'm in Ravenclaw house. As for classes... so far none have impressed me, though Wandless Magic and Wandlore seem interesting enough. Can't take them for a couple years, unfortunately." After speaking, he straightened his nice vest, hoping to maintain composure, despite being surrounded by.... whatever horrible smell was permeating the room.

addaellis

CatWaffle

Stefan Lee Salvatore

I ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ sᴛᴏʀʏ, sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴏғғ ᴍʏ ᴄʜᴇsᴛ
Mʏ ʟɪғᴇ ɢᴇᴛs ᴋɪɴᴅᴀ ʙᴏʀɪɴɢ, ɴᴇᴇᴅ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ I ᴄᴀɴ ᴄᴏɴғᴇss
'Tɪʟ ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ sʟᴇᴇᴠᴇs ᴀʀᴇ sᴛᴀɪɴᴇᴅ ʀᴇᴅ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ᴛʜᴀᴛ I'ᴠᴇ sᴀɪᴅ
Cᴏᴍᴇ ʙʏ ɪᴛ ʜᴏɴᴇsᴛʟʏ I sᴡᴇᴀʀ, ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ sᴀᴡ ᴍᴇ ᴡɪɴᴋ, ɴᴏ
I'ᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀɪɴᴋ sᴏ ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴍᴇ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʜᴇᴀʀ
Sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟɪɢʜᴛ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴇᴀʀs, I'ᴍ sɪᴄᴋ ᴏғ ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴsɪɴᴄᴇʀᴇ
Sᴏ I'ᴍ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs ᴀᴡᴀʏ ᴛʜɪs ᴛɪᴍᴇ
Dᴏɴ'ᴛ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴘᴇʀғᴇᴄᴛ ʟɪᴇ. Dᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴀʀᴇ ɪғ ᴄʀɪᴛɪᴄs ᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴊᴜᴍᴘ ɪɴ ʟɪɴᴇ
I'ᴍ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ɢɪᴠᴇ ᴀʟʟ ᴍʏ sᴇᴄʀᴇᴛs ᴀᴡᴀʏ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxWʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Potions Classroom
xxx Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Other First Years, Prof. Verine
xxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Potions Class!
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? I'm excited for everything!

Daphne was super excited about all her classes, but potions seemed super fun. Maybe they'd get to cackle over a giant cauldron like in all the movies she'd seen. Walking in, she fluffed her skirt, which poofed out, thanks to a few petticoats underneath. She looked around, then found a place to sit. It was alone, but hopefully someone would sit with her. The teacher, who had a very bubbly seeming personality, started up the class, introducing them all to Potions 1. Sweet!

Apparently they'd start off by announcing their names, houses, and favorite classes. Awesome! It was going to be great. Plus, what better way to get to know her classmates? She knew a couple of them from clubs and the common room, but some was not all! As she listened to a few others (including one that sounded very angry to be here), Daphne took her turn. "My name's Daphne Greensborough, and I'm a Slytherin. I'm excited about... well... all the classes! Plus all the exploring there is to do! It's going to be a super duper fun year!" She grinned brightly, tilting her head as her pigtails bobbed to the movement.

I ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴍɪss ᴀ ʙᴇᴀᴛ! I'ᴍ ʟɪɢʜᴛɴɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴍʏ ғᴇᴇᴛ!
Aɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ sᴇᴇ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ sᴇᴇ
I'ᴍ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴍʏ ᴏᴡɴ, I ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴠᴇs ᴜᴘ ᴀs I ɢᴏ
Aɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴋɴᴏᴡ
Bᴜᴛ I ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴄʀᴜɪsɪɴɢ, ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ sᴛᴏᴘ, ᴡᴏɴ'ᴛ sᴛᴏᴘ ɢʀᴏᴏᴠɪɴɢ
Iᴛ's ʟɪᴋᴇ I ɢᴏᴛ ᴛʜɪs ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴍɪɴᴅ sᴀʏɪɴɢ ɪᴛ's ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʙᴇ ᴀʟʀɪɢʜᴛ
'Cᴀᴜsᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀs ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ᴘʟᴀʏ, ᴘʟᴀʏ, ᴘʟᴀʏ, ᴘʟᴀʏ, ᴘʟᴀʏ
Aɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀᴛᴇʀs ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ʜᴀᴛᴇ, ʜᴀᴛᴇ, ʜᴀᴛᴇ, ʜᴀᴛᴇ, ʜᴀᴛᴇ
Bᴀʙʏ, I'ᴍ ᴊᴜsᴛ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ sʜᴀᴋᴇ, sʜᴀᴋᴇ, sʜᴀᴋᴇ, sʜᴀᴋᴇ, sʜᴀᴋᴇ
I sʜᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴏғғ, I sʜᴀᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴏғғ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 pm

User Image★✩
ECHO ANGHARAD WELLBELOVE

first year || Slytherin || halfblood
Art Club resource || Daily Dragon writer || Quidditch reserve || LARP art historian

Echo Angharad was definitely a morning person. She woke up at 7:00 on most days, and today in preparation for the first day of class she’d woken up even earlier, reviewing her notes behind drawn curtains. However boorish the uniforms were, the fact that uniforms were mandatory made dressing easy. She did her sisters’ hair, they did hers, and by the time 8:55 rolled around, Echo was immaculately dressed, awake, and more than ready to get to learning already.

She sighed at the cubbies in the Potions dungeon where they were expected to leave their belongings. The entire room smelled...musty. And herby. And...strangely sterile for the multitudes of ingredients displayed along the left wall. She found Milan’s belongings and tucked the coffee with them. ”Good morning,” she greeted her brother and best friend. ”I got you your milk and creamer with a dash of coffee. Tragically, it’ll probably be cold by the end of class though. ”

The professor started class late. Echo was quite unimpressed at first glass. Professor Winchester didn’t look like a potions mistress, and she seemed entirely too chipper for someone supposed to be teaching them the delicate art of brewing. She introduced herself after Milan:

”Good morning, My name is Echo Angharad Wellbelove, Slytherin house.” Now really she was quite excited for Potions--as her quadruplets knew she had already started a potions portfolio of common recipes on index cards-- and had no qualms with being seen as a teacher’s pet. She would end up there or being called that anyways, she was sure. ”I am looking forward to learning all branches of magic, but particularly Potions and Charms so have high expectations for this class.”

setting Potions, first class of 2053 || with first years
appearance 4’6”, slim || wearing uniform, immaculately pressed
status Time to learn

(What follows) me as the whitest lace of light
(Will swallow whole) just begs to be imbrued?
(What follows) has led me to this place
Where I belong, with all erased
What follows
✩★
"Girl’s Not Grey" by AFI. Cover by Fueled by Emo.

addaellis

oyehh

Feral Fairy

24,500 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:02 pm

User Image
                                              User Image

User Image
                                            • Between dragging herself out of bed to get some breakfast and then dragging herself back to gather her supplies, Mona was awake enough to not walk into walls and follow some other students into the class, but her hair remained a dull dark brown. Between being the first class on a Monday and the idea of cutting up and practically cooking some disgusting slimey guts, Potions was on thin ice. But she still hoped that it went well. This was her first class at Hogwarts and Mona knew they weren't going to send her home (alhamdullilah), but if it went wrong then it would be a horrible omen for the year.

After putting her bag in one of the cubbies, Mona looked around and upon seeing Wyn sitting alone, she took a seat beside her. She greeted her with a tired smile. "Hope you don't mind me sitting here," she said before arranging her things on the table.

The teacher—who was there when they entered—seemed nice at least. She asked people to introduce themselves and the class complied, each introducing themselves before it was their turn. Wyn went first and then Mona spoke up. "I'm Monira Al-Hadad from Hufflepuff as well and-" a yawn interrupted her mid-sentence and both her face and her hair flushed bright red. Determined to not look at anyone else, she continued. "Um, I don't know what I'll like, maybe Charms, but I'd like to see how each class ends up."

• WHEN Fall 2053 tab tab tab WHERE Potions class tab tab tab WITH Wyn, other classmates

OOC Mona wanted to sit with a familiar face so I quoted you Chrys o3o

ChrysalismAndPetrichor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 pm

User Image☻☺
GALEN EZREAL SAYLOR

first year || Hufflepuff || halfblood metamorphmagus
Adventurer's Guild chronicler || Art Club cartoonist
Cooking Club pancake mixer || Quidditch fan

Monday morning, Galen was awake bright and early. He had never had formal education before, and was working on his list to send home of all the reasons school could be great. After breakfast, he made his way down to the dungeons. It smelled somewhat like the apothecary that Vera worked at, but more...stone instead of warm, a fainter metallic in the air. His appearance shifted slowly, from a golden tint in his eyes to curious curls in his hair. His skin prickled as he dropped his bag off and found an empty seat, saving a spot for Cassidy at the same table.

”Want to be each other for introductions?” Galen whispered to his fellow meta friend, his face squishing and molding a little, roughly mimicking Cassidy’s natural features. Galen wasn’t very good at controlling his meta abilities to be honest, but the past few years had given him some motivation to try. And this was some harmless playfulness!

So when it came time to introduce themselves, Galen stood and despite his clearly golden-rimmed robes and tie, and said, ”Hey, I’m Cassidy Nakano-Roussel, in Ravenclaw. I’m really excited for Flying and Quidditch, but also Herbology and Potions!”

Luckily, both meta boys had expressed similar excitements, so it wasn’t too hard to guess Cass's interests. Galen sat down, unable to suppress a small giggle, and pink and blue pokedots dotted over his skin, betraying his mischief.

setting Potions || with Cassidy,
appearance Roughly like Cassidy. || wearing uniform, in obviously Hufflepuff colors
status he he he!

Welcome back the sunrise,
I'm finally waking up.
And I've been here for far too long,
but I think I've had enough.
Cause I've been praying for a change
for such a long long time.
Take a breath and step outside
and lay the past behind.
☺☻
"Supernova Sunrise" by We Are Leo

addaellis

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:38 am

Tryna stand up on my own two feet
                                          This conversation ain't comin' easily
                                          And darling, I know it's getting late
                                          So what do you say we leave this place?

Cass was excited for class! Almost too excited to eat! But papa had taught him it was important to have a good breakfast. And sur he could've done a sugery breakfast caise he was somewhat unsupervised in his eating the foods set for breakfast reminded him too much of home to pass up. He most certainly wasnt late but he did arive after his yellow clad buddy Galen. Galens own meta gene was a bit more wild than his own. Though Cass also had papa who helped learn to keep it consistent. Once they sat and learned they be introducing themselves Galen had a great idea. They could pretend to be each other! Galen did a pretty good job almost like a mirroor bit not backwards. Cass spent plenty of time to know how to mimic Galen's look. Unless somone had been watching it look like both boys traded seats. (and uniforms but that didnt fully cross the wonder meta duo's minds)

Soon it was Cass/Galens turn's hopefullly he was a good actor. In his brilliantly navy robes with eagle patch he hoped up with normally Galen's perpetual zeal "Hi everyone! I'm Galen Saylor and I'm Hufflepuff! What I'm looking forward to is Flying and Quidditch, but also Herbology and Potions!" after a chpper intro he sat down with a grin part playing it up as Galen eas more expressive and part Cass was haing fun.

Walk me home in the dead of night
                                                                          I can't be alone with all that's on my mind
                                                                          So say you'll stay with me tonight
                                                                          'Cause there is so much wrong going on outside

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:17 am
User Image
Harlynn Alexandria Wellbelove
first year || Slytherin || halfblood

Harlynn was still getting use to having to share room. Hard to get thenright look when all thenother girls were running around. Thankfully two of the girls were her sisters. Once ready they got breakfast which was decent enough and it eas off to classes.

Arriving at potions thay sat by Milan and it too so much not to hug Milan. He'd probly hate it cause they're in public. But she missed him even if it was just for a night. They like other classes had to introduce themselves. Once it was her turn she stood up. "My name is Harlynn Wellbelove, and the classes im looking forward to would be charms and mabye potions we'll have to see." She said in her usual low key sassy way. She didnt know enoigh just yet to say any class was dumb. Though she wasnt looking forward to herbology, dirt was gross and she wasnt some gardener  

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:22 pm
User Image
Yaretzi Rose Wellbelove
First Year Slytherin

"Two plus two is fish. Come on, be more creative!"

Yari was thankful for Echo, she had made sure everyone was awake and they were well put together before they had to be in classes for the day. She was glad for the uniforms, none of the people had unmatching outfits at least, the tops matched the bottoms that matched teh shoes, it was quite nice. Yari was sad she hadn't thought to bring Milan a coffee, although, the brother didn't need it coffee really was a nasty thing. She sat down with her siblings, glad that at least they got to do their classes with Milan, she missed being with her brother 24/7.

After her siblings had introduced herself, she replied to the professor, "My name is Yaretzi Wellbelove, my friends call me Yari, but you can call me Wellbelove. I'm a Slytherin, and well I'm not sure what class I'm looking forward to. I'm not looking forward to potions though, I don't want to de-leg my frogs." She had wanted to bring her pet frog with her to all of her classes, but thought better of it when she realized they had potions. She hoped that no ones cats would eat her pet while she was gone... time would tell. Maybe she could find a carry around case for her friend, she would make a note to find one.

"You can't tell me I'm wrong, I know I'm right."

Setting: Potions with the First years
Thoughts: We match. I miss Milan.
Wearing: Uniforms

“”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:37 pm
♖ Dominik ♖ Knapp ♖
♖ Hufflepuff First Year ♖
Future Activites

User Image
▬▬ There isnt a day that goes by that I dont think about you▬▬

Dominik had really wanted to make friendds with her fellow first years, but they were almost too much, and that was saying something especially having grown up with so many siblings. She hadn't even learned anything yet that would bring her closer to finding her brother, it was rather disappointing. She would get to learn all of the kdis at Hogwarts eventually, it might just take a while, and she could wait for that.

When she entered the early morning potions class she sat in the front corner, she didn't need to see all the others in the class and how their potions were doing, she would focus on her own. When it came her time to introduce herself she replied, "My name is Dominik Knapp, I'm a Hufflepuff. I'm looking forward to learning tracking spells and potions, so I can find where my brother went. So I guess I'm looking forward to this class." She opened her notebook and prepared to take notes for whatever was going to happen in class.

▬▬ Being here just puts me one step closer to finding you Dee.▬▬

Where & Who: First Year Potions
Thinking about: I'll get to know them, then itnroduce them to DeeDee!

Quote:

Quote:

Stefan Lee Salvatore
Crew

Invisible Gekko

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cheerbringer 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 pm

User Image✽❃
VERINE YSEULT WINCHESTER

51 years || Ravenclaw Alumna || halfblood
Potioneer and Potions Professor

First year potions students had spent their first two months going over the basics for everything. Everything. From basic potions safety, mortar and pestle technique, to simple conversion math and observation note taking techniques, they had spent some time on understanding just about every aspect of basic potions practice. They had learned three different methods of purifying water--unsurprisingly none of the first years could perform the Delbou purification spell to that proficiency, and Verine later found out the base spell was part of the fourth-year alchemy curriculum. (Thankfully her colleagues persuaded her that explaining everything involved so that 11 year olds could cast the spell was simply an ineffective use of Potions I time and developmentally inappropriate.)

There had been three full 45 minute lectures rants on how waving the wand at the end of a potion was not just a casual wave but involved a mental and magical process of knitting all the ingredients together and improved obviously with a greater understanding of the particular potions theory-- not that a casual wave wouldn’t work in most cases, but that it really was just sucking half the magic out of potions and leaving so much to chance. Not that these weren’t active classes-- what first year student could say they had prepared Standard Ingredient, made stew in class, and attempted a fourth-year level spell anyways?

In any case, it was November before Ver was made aware that the kids hadn’t even made a full potion all the way through. That simply wouldn’t do! She had wanted to start with Wiggenweld--it was possibly the most useful potion!--but had been persuaded it was a little advanced for a first potion. After a full two weeks discussing all the ingredients, how each ingredient acted in the potion, and multiple demonstrations and discussions of safety, today the first years were finally turned loose to brew the entire Cure for Boils potion for themselves.

“Good morning! As we have been anticipating, today we will be making our first attempts at the Cure for Boils.” Verine greeted a few minutes after nine. She seemed more chipper as usual, excited for the kids to experience the full potion brewing process. The procedure they would be using was on the chalkboard in front, and the students had copied the entire thing at least once or twice in their notebooks. All the necessary ingredients were already arrayed on the demonstration table.

”If, once your boil-cures are finished, you would like to try out today’s potion on yourself, come up to the front and we can give it a shot! If you have any questions or hesitations, or need help lighting your fires, please don’t hesitate to ask! Two to a cauldron please, and go ahead!”

Verine herself made her way from table to table, quietly observing their efforts and hoping everything went smoothly today.

board/ probably in their notes by now

Cure for Boils
Cure for Boils (or Boil Cure) is an elementary potion for curing boils on the skin.

Materials:

• 6 snake fangs (nonvenomous) -- crushed to a fine powder.
  • Dried nettles -- finely crushed
  • Flobberworm mucus
  • Porcupine quills
  • 4 horned slugs -- stewed

Procedure

1. Bring 125 grams of purified water to a boil.
  2. Add 4 measures of crushed snake fang. The mixture should be yellow.
  3. Add 2 measures flobberworm mucus
  4. Add dried nettles until the mixture turns green.
  5. Heat the mixture on medium heat for 10 seconds
  6. Wave your wand.
  7. Leave to brew for around 15-20 minutes. The solution should be a rich green color and thick in texture.
  8. Add 4 measures of stewed horned slugs.
  9. When the solution is bubbling, take the cauldron off the fire and cool.
  10. Add 2 porcupine quills (make sure the potion is sufficiently cool!)
  11. Stir 5 times clockwise.
  12. Wave your wand to complete the potion. If brewed correctly, pink smoke will rise from the cauldron and the potion will be blue.

Allow the potion to cool to a deep blue color before administering.

Recommended Homework:
Did your boil-cure work? How effective was it? Assemble your observations and your knowledge of the ingredients to explain what may have contributed to your result.

Citation and explanation:

This Cure for Boils potion procedure was adapted from the procedures listed on the: HP Fandom wikia, which list 3 variations. It was later edited to fall more in line with the steps listed in guild’s draft of Magical Drafts and Potions.

Ingredients were determined from their presence in both book and game appearances of the brewing recipe. Distilled (purified water) was used as a starting potion. 236 milliliters, or 1 cup, was simply used as base amount to start the potion, much like you might have stock or water when starting a soup. (Originally this was mistyped as 125 grams, which is the weight of a cup of flour.) Snake fangs, nettles, and horned slugs were common to all the procedures, indicating these were all active or essential ingredients. Dried nettles are a known dehydration element. No property meaning could be found for snake fangs or horned slugs, so properties were invented based off the symbolism of the creatures: snakes can be used to symbolise venom, medicine, and guardianship, and since the snake fangs in the boil-cure potion are specified as nonvenomous, we interpret this as using it as some kind of active healing element; slugs are symbols of balance, so it was used as a kind of neutralizing agent. Based on the book, an incomplete potion (pre-porcupine quills) will cause boils; additionally, since porcupine quills are used as a topical antibiotic, this was included as necessary and active as well. Finally, flobberworm mucus is listed as a thickening agent (assumedly like flour or cornstarch).

Procedure order was derived as best possible from the orders provided. Snake fangs create the initial mixture, serving as a base healing element. The mixture is then thickened (flobberworm mucus) and dehydrated (dried nettles). This presumably would also help reduce the brewing time as it is dehydrating via the ingredient instead of via evaporation. Horned slugs are added last to neutralize any residual toxins. Everything is cooled before the porcupine quills as adding them to a hot cauldron will melt the cauldron, create a horrid odour, and cause the skin to erupt in boils (from the book). Stirring presumably has to do with some kind of magical effect. Wand waving as a final step is explained in-post as a magical process that is more than just a casual wave.

Since slugs are known to lead to brain parasites if improperly ingested, porcupine quills are topically used, and boils are an affliction on the surface of the skin, the cure for boils potion is presumably applied as a poultice to the affected area. Thus, the potion is assumed to be rather thick and viscous, more akin to a cream or paste than water. Colors are given as this seems to be the way potions are conducted in the HP universe; however measurements are estimated and given for more precise potion-making technique.

setting Potions 1, mid-November 2053 || with First Years
appearance 5'7", 140 lbs || wearing Something from here
status Oh I hope everything goes well!

I spent forever coming up with that citation/ rationale section, if something doesn't make sense pls....let me know so I can fix it for next year lol XD

”QUOTING”

Far off in the distance
A fire comes to life
A flicker of a flame breaks through the dark
Burning soft and bright
Dancing with the light
Awakening the Heavens and the Earth
❃✽
"Awakening" by Celtic Woman

First Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]