Reply "CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!
13 Weeks Off...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I...
  Take the 13 weeks off and enjoy them.
  Get a job in the meantime to put money into savings.
View Results

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 pm
It seems likely I'm about to have 13 weeks off... confused

I work next weekend, but then WinterFest is over and I return to Texas. I got rehired at the waterpark, but they're requiring me to have 13 weeks off due to being classified as "seasonal." *headdesk*

It's not optimal. Though I could probably get hired somewhere else in the meantime to fill the employment gap. But I also don't really want to. SMH.

Taking the break would be bad for the pocketbook, but great for my mental health, because I'd love to have the time to pursue creative endeavors for awhile. Grow my Etsy shop, do some crafts, cook, that kind of thing. Everything always has a flip side.

So Why Notians, what do you think?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:17 pm
Honestly, if you can afford not working for those 13 weeks, and cut a few things here and there, I'd do it. I'd do it in a heartbeat.  

SuicidalSkittles
Crew

Rainbow Witch

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:23 pm
SuicidalSkittles
Honestly, if you can afford not working for those 13 weeks, and cut a few things here and there, I'd do it. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

"Afford" is a difficult to evaluate condition...

Because yes, I can afford it. As in, I can probably break even between my Etsy shop and mega-part-time job (it's like ten hours a week, tops, usually more like five), because I don't spend much on food and the like, and Neil's job can easily take care of the rest of the bills. So most likely taking 13 weeks off wouldn't even require me to dip into currently accrued savings.

Buuut it comes at an "opportunity cost" that I am trying to save money for a home loan and surrogacy. If I work, then I'm closer to those goals. Can I "afford" to lose that progress?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:58 pm
Knowing how important mental health is, especially during these uncertain times, I would say enjoy the time off. But I also understand wanting to keep working on saving up for your goals. 3nodding  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:28 pm
Doing what you love vs making extra... Interesting conundrum. Breaks can be good for mental health, but so can finding fulfilling work. If you feel like getting a job while you wait could help, I'd say go for it, even if it's a part time job. If you want to just take it easy, do Etsy and RedBubble, do it, whatever makes you happiest.

It might be good to spend time with Neil too. surprised

Perhaps you could do all three somehow, strike some sort of balance... 3nodding  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games