Welcome to Gaia! ::

Our Village

Back to Guilds

Come home to where Community Spirit grows! 

Tags: games, community, resources, role play, prizes 

Reply Village Commons
Our village recipe book

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ochru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:57 am
Simply post your favorite cooking recipes here. Lets see who the chefs in this village are. (Should be fun)

Popsicles homemade

Take a mold that can be frozen, place some popsicle sticks in there (sticks can be bought from craft stores), use some home made juice of your choice and keep in mind soda pop works too. Place the filled mold in the freezer and be careful not to spill. Wait until frozen and enjoy.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:09 pm
No recipes. I just start cooking as a hobby (also as a way to save money and get healthier), so I am far from being a professional cook. I've been experimenting different blends of spices and cooking methods, but with very similar starting ingredients. I use the same vegetables throughout stir fries, roasting, soups, etc.

Made a mexican-ish blend with paprika, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. This is good for tacos and burritos, especially how cheap rice and beans are. How much of each ingredient though? Well, it will vary depending on how many portions I'm cooking for myself, the quality of the spice itself, and whether it was freshly grounded (or haven't been used for years). I smell the spice and take small taste of each spice, and adjust accordingly.

There's also this Korean youtube channel that I watch to learn some Korean dishes. Common ingredients used are Soy Sauce, Korean Chili Powder, Mirin, Oyster Sauce, Sesame Oil, Corn Syrup, and Sugar. This is useful to spice up vegetable stir fries or noodle/rice dishes (though I like to limit my carb intake). Usually equal parts of each ingredients, but less on the Corn Syrup, Mirin and Sugar (since they both are mostly used to sweeten the dish).

Chicken bullion, beef flavor powder, and the like can be added to soup-broth/sauces if it is lacking in flavor, but you're better off using certain cooking skills to attract the most flavor out of your ingredients. Caramelizing and roasting certain ingredients are such examples, such as cooking down onions, roasting your whole spices before grinding them and saute-ing in oil of choice (peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon sticks), and boiling your chicken/beef bones for hours (or, you can use pressure cooker).

If you want to add an extra "umami" (I typically call it the savory flavor) taste to the dish, using seaweed/sea-kelp, mushrooms, tomatoes, dry fish/anchovies (or fish sauce) is typically recommended for natural alternatives, rather than something that is man-made/chemical or highly processed, aka MSG.  

Yen Quest

Tiny Shapeshifter

Clove Boheme

Allied Explorer

8,600 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm
I used to do a lot of cooking and baking before my stroke -- but now it is my significant other who does the cooking. He likes to make hamburgers and hot dogs a lot, but he makes a great tossed salad too.

I especially look forward to his lunches. Toasted bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches, chicken sandwich (white breast meat) with mayo, and a fabulous grilled cheese.

When he brings home a frozen pizza, he enhances the flavour by melting extra mozzarella cheese on top.

We are both watching our sugar intake, so toned-down bakery goods get stored in our fridge, like the Metro Grocery Store's mini fruit bites (mini fruit danish-turn overs) which are low in sugar, but make a delightful little dessert.❤️  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:12 pm
Ants on a log

Take a celery stick and put peanut butter in it. If you are allergic to nuts then use cheese spread. Then for the ants... use raisins. When using cheese do not use raisins. Use cracker bits instead or croutons.  

Ochru

Yen Quest

Tiny Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:55 pm
Summer rolls my mother usually make.

Filling for the summer rolls: Saute butter, sliced beef, and onions until caramelized.

Construct the summer rolls: Wet rice paper with warm water, add lettuce/mint, add cooked beef/onions, and wrap/roll it up like a burrito.

Dip it into fish sauce: which is prepared with water, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, pineapple, and lemon grass.

My brother recommend adding a slice of avocado for that extra creamy touch.  
Village Commons

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games