User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The snow storm had blown through the Kiwani lands and dumped mountains of snow in what seemed like such a short time. Everywhere was frozen and buried. Even the clearing in which Argento’s family lived had snow piled up. Tree branches hung low from the weight of the snow, threatening to fall on any unsuspecting Soquili’s head if they weren’t careful.

All of this did little to deter Argento from running about in excitement. He had seen snow but he had never seen SO MUCH of it. Jarda and Esparda were working on pushing the snow out of the way. Argento had gotten it in his mind to give them a helping hood. Because that is what heros did. Unfortunately he wasn’t quite as strong as the older stallion and ended up falling into a snow drift to which Esparda had to dig him out of. He was quickly nudged away to go do something else.

His attention was immediately caught by Dafina, Darma and Jiaranza who were knocking the snow off of tree branches. He would help these damsels in distress! But he only ended up getting snow dropped on him from a tree. Jiaranza pulled him out by his short white tail then shooed him away. It was too dangerous for a small colt.

Feeling dejected, Argento slinked away with his head lowered.

“What’s wrong, Argie?” The gruff voice startled him and he whirled around to see Dante sitting off to the side. The buffalo had joined the family recently but he wasn’t anyone’s familiar.

Wrinkling his nose he plopped down in the snow next to him. “I want to help too but everyone says I’m too small. Dante how am I suppose to be a hero if I’m too small?” His eyes glistened with worry as his ears flicked back.

The buffalo chickened heartily, giving his wings a little stretch. “You won’t be small forever. Just gotta be patient.”

“Bu…but if I wait it will take forever!” The colt looked even more dejected if that was even possible. His small dappled body trembled.

Dante felt sorry for the colt. He wanted so bad to grow up fast and be big so he could live the hero life. Glancing around the clearing he watched the Soquili working and then an idea came to him. Nudging Argento with his should he got to his hooves. “Come on. Maybe you can’t help here but I’m sure we can find someone who needs help.”

Jumping to his hooves, Argento shook with excitement. Dante thought he might shake right off his hooves. “Yes!” He pranced after the buffalo, knees and head high.”What act of heroism do you think we will find?!” The snow had silenced much of the surrounding forest so his voice seemed louder than normal. Or maybe he really was just loud from the excitement. Dante wasn’t sure.

“Dunno. Guess we will just have to see.”

They hadn’t gone far when the sound of frantic barking reached the pair. Argento immediately stopped in his. Tail high, ears perked. “What’s that?!”

Dante stopped as well, tilting his head slightly to listen. “Sounds like it’s coming from this direction. Definitely someone in distress. Come on.” He flicked his skinny tail and took off in an easterly direction.

Through a bit of scrub brush they soon broke out of the trees into another clearing. At the far end a vixen was barking and yelling while digging at the base of a oak tree. She was frantic. Dante slowly approached. While most animals were pretty reasonable he didn’t want to surprise her and cause her to become defensive. Argento stood still as a statue while Dante got wind of the situation.

The buffalo frowned and waved the colt over with his wing. “Her den is beneath this tree and her kits are in there.” Argento looked at the spot where the vixen had been digging. “Her mate is still out hunting but she can’t dig the den out on her own.”

Argento’s expression turned into one of understanding and determination. Jumping back he puffed his chest out. “Don’t worry ma’am! I’ll save your kits!!” And with that Argento went to work digging out the snow. He remembered the techniques in which he saw his family use to dig and shovel out snow.

He just couldn’t let anything bad happen to these kits!

By the time he had dug deep enough to reach them his tiny hooves ached and his nose felt like it had icicles hanging from him. With teeth chattering he watched as the small kits came tumbling out and rushed to their mother. And it made him crave the comfort of his own mother.

Dante had spent the entire time just watching as the cot dug out the den. And to be honest he was kind of impressed. Not once did Argento stop or complain. He had a hero’s mission. The buffalo didn’t want to take that away from him. Getting to his hooves he stretched before casually walking over to Argento and giving him a nudge back the way they came. “Come in Argie let’s go home and get warm.” Not only was he feeling the cold he was pretty hungry as well. Argento had to be starving too with all that digging. Saying good byes to the vixen and her kits was quick. She had been very thankful for the help and was happy to rush her kits back inside the den out of the cold. They were rather small themselves and would get cold easily.

As if in response to his thoughts Argento’s tummy growled rather loudly. “O-o-okay.” He could barely get the word out with how much his teeth were chattering. Going home and curling up with his family was exactly what he needed right now. He felt exhausted and only stumbled about ten times but Dante was there to nudge him on.

By the time they had returned back to the family clearing the sun was hanging low in the sky. Most of the snow had been cleared from the ground and the trees. Which made him glacé because he was too tired to help anyone else today.

“You did good kid.” Dante smiled warmly.

“Mmm.” Argento mumbled. His eyelids felt so heavy as he stumbled in his mother‘s direction. She was laying beneath a small ash tree, when she spotted Argento a sense of relief seemed to wash over her face. She did not stand at his approach and he was glad because all he wanted to do was lay down. He flopped down next to her belly and nuzzled her soft, warm body.

“What have you been doing that has you so tired little one?” The dark mare nudged his cheek.

He let out a long, loud yawn. Smacking his lips as his eyelids dropped more. “Hero stuff.”

“Oh! Well then I hope it was good hero stuff I would not want you doing naughty hero stuff.” She lovingly licked his ears while curling up tighter around him.

“Hero stuff is always good, mama. Don’t you know?” He was too tired to be indignant. “Always….”

Firefly smiled at her son, chuckling softly before she began to hum quietly. The other family members soon began to settle all around them for the evening. By the time the stars were blazing in the night sky Argento was fast asleep.

Dreaming about all the hero quests he would do once he was all grown up.

Dante had found himself a tasty meal before clambering into his small cave. Luckily it was still quite warm inside. The cold had not reached here and he found himself drifting as he glanced in Argento’s direction. “You did good today Argie.” He yawned. “You will be a great hero one day. But don’t grow up too fast. Enjoy being a foal while you can.” That was his hope for the colt. Once you were an adult you had responsibilities and those weren’t all that fun.

Nope.

The little colt must have had an effect on him because Dante found himself in a hero’s dream. Stopping Skinwalkers from decimating herd of Soquili with a glance. Or rescuing foals from rivers that had broken their banks. He could hear others chanting his name as he soaked up all the glory. But it wasn’t groups of grateful victims chanting his name. Dante popped open one eye and saw Argento standing at the entrance to his cave.

“Dante….Dante!….DANTE!” The sound of gushing came from the others in the clearing who were still sleeping. Argento ducked his head and whispered the buffalo‘a name again. “Dante are you awake?”

“I am now…” He grumbled.

Dropping to his belly, Argento wiggled in through the small entrance. Eyes bright and a smile on his face. “Dante wasn’t it great how I rescued that fox family?”

He wished he had the kind of energy this foal did. Dante was pretty sure only a few minutes had passed. “Yea you did a good thing. You want to do another good thing?”

Argento’s ears perked and he almost jumped up to hit his head on the cave roof. “Yea!! I mean… yea.” He whispered the last part.

Rolling to his other side Dante curled into a tight ball. “Go back to sleep.”

Blinking Argento was confused. “Oh…ok…thanks Dante for helping me in my hero’s journey. You are a really good Squire. I’ll let you sleep.” Wiggling back out the colt went back to his mother.

Letting out a sigh of relief Dante began to drift off to sleep once again. “Squire… hmph…” He grumbled to himself.