Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:20 pm
Quote:
Prompt:
Wintertime in the Kawani is in full swing, and February is no exception! A strong snowstorm and cold front has blown into the lands, blanketing much of the land in white. Some areas have completely been overwhelmed by snow--and places that are typically warmer or never see the[/ stuff have also been covered in the white stuff.

How is your Soquili handling this snowstorm? Were they caught unaware? Are they experiencing snow for the first time, or are they used to it? What do they do now that they're living in a winter wonderland?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Total Word Count: 1,834

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:59 pm
The wind was picking up, nearing blizzard levels as the Kalona-hybrid struggled to keep himself upright. Ice was beginning to form over his feathers and he had been scanning the earth below for a safe spot to land. Most surfaces were already covered in a solid layer of ice and unfortunately, most of the land below was uneven as it was and would be tricky landing in the best of weather. However, he wouldn't be able to fly much longer in these conditions, the frost was building up on his feathers and he could feel the numbness licking at the tips of his wings. His search was growing a bit more desperate; anywhere would do, he just needed a site to set down in a controlled fashion before the weather decided to put him down without a choice.

There! A bit of level land with a dark crevasse that seemed likely to be a cave of some sort lay just below. He began his descent, decreasing altitude on shivering wings. It wouldn't be his smoothest landing by any stretch, but at this point he would settle for any landing without serious injury or harm. His hooves hit the earth and it was rough enough that he had to continue running for a few steps until he could slow his momentum, but at least his legs didn't buckle beneath him. Though they might if he had to stand out in this cold unprotected for very long. With only a quick glance around, he ducked his horned head against the wind and rushed into the shelter of the small cave.

Almost immediately upon entering the cave, Aeolus got relief from the cutting winds that felt like claws pricking at his pelt. He took a deep breath of relief, slowing his pace, but continuing to move further into the shelter of the cave and away from the blizzard raging just outside. It was dark, but it was cozy enough. It would do anyway. Beggars couldn't be choosers in times like these. He just needed a safe place to rest and ride out this storm. His hooves carried him into the darkness and though he remained somewhat chilled, he could feel the sensation returning to his limbs. He shook his feathered wings to dislodge the remaining frost before tucking them securely against his back. Darker and darker his surroundings got, the noise of the storm giving way to silence that seemed to echo around him.

As he continued, however, it seemed...was it actually getting lighter up ahead? His eyes had just begun adjusting to the dark when he realized actually it was getting lighter up ahead. A soft glow up ahead reflected soft shadows on the cave walls and he became wary as he continued forward, trying to silence his hoofbeats now.

WC: 468  

Teigra

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Teigra

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:29 pm
Having carefully nudged a small pile of kindling together, some more firewood nearby, the 'suti stallion got ready to settle in for the night. Who knew how long it would take for this winter storm to blow over? Hopefully he'd managed to pull a enough supplies in here to wait it out. Adjusting the position of a few pieces of kindling, the fire 'Suti leaned in with a slow, deep exhale to ignite the tinder. A few dry twigs, some crunchy leaves; as the embers took hold and grew, he increased the fuel for the fire. Before long, Magnus had a warm, glowing fire going on the cave floor, surrounded by small stones as a border. Settling in, he prepared to keep his energy reserves maintained and just wait out the storm for as long as necessary.

Until he heard a noise coming from the direction of the cave entrance.

Aeolus' advance had slowed, his ears twitching for any noises from up ahead where the glowing light grew brighter. A few light shuffling sounds could be heard, but then those went silent. Had he been heard? Who could be in here? Who would be out here in this remote place in the middle of a storm?

...well, he supposed he was, so that answered that self inquiry. It wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that another could have sought shelter here from the storm. However, would they be accepting of company, especially if they noted his kalona horns? Warily, he stepped forward, the slightest whiff of smoke in the air now...the thought of a fire was definitely welcoming. His mind had started to wander away from the thought of a necessary threat and more to the possibility of entertaining that perhaps some lovely mare made her home here and wouldn't mind the company of a handsome stallion to keep her from being lonely until the storm blew over.

Magnus waited by the fire, seemingly calm, but ready to react at a moment's notice if a threat were to make itself known. The fire was burning strongly on its own now, and if he needed, he could manipulate the flames to do his bidding. His eyes narrowed as a sound from behind a craggy section of cave wall drew his narrowed gaze.

The two stallions locked eyes...tensed...then when neither reacted strongly on sight, seemed to lapse into an uneasy silence before Aeolus broke it.

"Ah, I see this cave is already occupied. I mean no harm; I need only take shelter from the storm for a time, then I'll be on my way again."

Magnus raised a brow curiously at the other stallion, looking him over. He straightened his neck slightly, folding his leathery wings against his back in a seemingly relaxed manner. "No harm done. Seems like quite the storm out there. Personally, I prefer to keep my wings warm and dry," he chuckled.

Aeolus snorted softly, shuffling his hooves on the rocky cave floor and glancing back over his shoulder towards the cave entrance, then to his damp, chilled wings. "I normally would as well. Too cold out there to keep flying in this nasty weather." Oh geez, he was bad at this whole 'small talk' thing at the best of times, which...wasn't often. He was generally a rather solitary type. It was far easier to avoid others rather than those who would misunderstand his half-Kalona nature, or judge him for it. He was proud of who he was...but that didn't mean that others would be, or would understand. As such, his personal social skills could be described as more than a little lacking. For a moment, he pondered if the storm might be worth the risk to find a more private place to bed down until the storm blew over.

The fire 'Suti's gaze traveled over the other stallion's form, studying his posture and awkward expression. Okay, for one with such an imposing figure, could he actually be that socially awkward? Or was it something else? Smirking slightly, Magnus tipped his chin upward, then nodded to the fire. "Well, plenty of room in here. How about you come over here and get those lovely wings warm and dried, hmm?"

WC: 701  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:29 pm
If he'd felt awkward before, Aeolus suddenly felt a hundred times more self-conscious than he had a moment ago. Staring at the strange stallion for a moment, he tried to read the other's expression. He was grinning slightly, warm eyes like smoldering embers seeming almost to laugh at Aeolus' shocked silence. He looked towards the tempting warmth of the fire, however, then as if on cue, a shiver of lingering chill rippled through his form. If it had been the home of a lovely mare, he'd have been all too eager to share a place by the fire, but...

Magnus lifted a brow in amusement as the other stallion shifted from awkward to almost nervous. Oh, now that's just precious. Chuckling softly, the 'Suti was clearly more at ease now, his element on hand if needed, but he wasn't sure that would be necessarily. It should be sufficient for keeping the area warm and cozy only. His initial concerns over another stallion being territorial or threatening to take over his shelter were dying down, the other's imposing appearance seeming to be little more than a front for an awkward individual, likely out of their element so to speak. "Come now, friend, you're going to catch cold standing over there all wet and chilled. The fire will help you dry off and well, being a Fire 'Suti, I've been told I'm fairly warm as well," he winked.

Yeah, okay, maybe going back out into the storm would be preferable. Aeolus stood in place, rigidly planting his hooves where he stood as he glared at the grinning orange and black 'Suti. "I don't-- What? No! Nope! That's it! I'm out of here!" he declared, turning and fully intending to go out and freeze to death instead of sharing a cave with that creepy, grinning, weirdo stallion.

Magnus was quick to rise and move deftly around the fire, having been warm and comfortable and not hindered by the chill that made one's muscles and joints slow to work correctly as the other seemed to be. He laughed, shaking his head which caused his soft curls to bounce as he rushed to block the other's escape. "Now, now, don't do that. While I'm sure you'd make just as handsome an ice sculpture, well...it seems like quite a loss if you do that. Forgive me my forwardness. I simply...appreciate the beautiful things in life. I mean no harm to you, friend, nor embarrassment. Simply to say that company would be preferable to staring at these cave walls in solitude until the weather outside has exhausted its temper tantrum. Please, feel free to stay until the storm abides. I mean you no harm as long as you grant me the same courtesy."

Aeolus wasn't used to such attention, at least not from another stallion, and while he felt awkward, something in the other's voice was also very soothing, the way he kept talking in an almost lyrical fashion, the words tempting him back to the warmth and safety by the fire. He didn't really want to go outside to freeze to death. And he was pretty tired. Just instead of dying from the cold or the storm knocking him from the sky, instead he would have to worry about dying of awkward embarrassment. Lovely.

Grumpily clearing his throat, Aeolus made a futile attempt to regain some of his proud composure while glancing just to the side of the other stallion's gaze. "Yes, well, I suppose I could stay. Until the storm blows over. Then I can be on my way again. You say you have supplies? I mean, if you don't mind, that is--" Great, now he was rambling.

Magnus chuckled, stepping to the black and white stallion's side, his leathery wing unfurling to drape warmly over the other's chilled, wet feathers. "I don't mind. Come friend, make yourself comfortable and warm yourself. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. The name is Magnus Dei, but you can just call me Magnus."

"Aeolus."

WC: 665

[FIN]

Teigra

Shameless Shapeshifter

21,640 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff