Submit

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:58 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Mene
It had been quite some time since Miriam had visited Asher. Traveling got more difficult as she got further along, and she spent most of her time preparing for the babies anyway. She'd worked with the rest of the village to plan and build a home of her own. Living with her mothers had worked well for her up until this point, but now she needed a place of her own to raise her family. Then she'd spent lots of time getting furniture, dishes, the sorts of things you need in a new home.

When the babies had finally come, Miriam realized she couldn't very well travel with them to Partayzia. And so she'd written Asher a letter:

Dear Asher,
I hope you'll excuse the letter instead of coming in person. I hope this reaches you alright--our courier is otherwise occupied.

The babies are here! Two girls, beautiful and sweet. I would love if you're able to come to Koehaira to meet them. If not, I'll write again until they're old enough to travel.

Warmly,
Miriam

Dai
It was probably a week since the letter had been sent off - perhaps a bit longer - that Asher found himself leaving home for the first time to venture to Koehaira. To meet his children. Oh good Guardians... he had children... He still couldn't believe it.

Maybe the kids wouldn't look like him?

Now, now. Don't be an a**-sher. Miriam wouldn't have sent for him if they clearly weren't his.

Upon reaching the village, he paused to pull out the letter and re-read it before looking up and out. Hmm... She hadn't included where in Koehaira to find her... And he had a feeling it probably wasn't the best idea to just go asking around. What to do - this was certainly a pickle.

Mene
A newcomer in Koehaira was always cause for interest, which is why it was fortunate that Amapola, and not Elizabeth, had seen the dark male first. She was on her way home and happened to notice him. Now, Amapola wasn't the brightest star in the sky, but she was able to put pieces together, especially when they were so obvious. She approached him from the front and waved cheerfully. "You must be Asher," she said in an almost comically-conspiratorial voice. "I'm Amapola--Miriam's aunt. Lucky it was me that found you and not my sister." She giggled and looped her arm through his. "Miriam's got her own place now, here, I'll show you." Miriam hadn't been exactly forthcoming on details about the father of her new children, but Amapola didn't exactly blame her. Frankly she was thrilled that the guy had at least shown up, although her own experience made her think she might just hang around on the porch while he visited, just incase. She steered him down and around toward Miriam's home. "Just knock and then go ahead and go in, I imagine she's expecting you, right?" She pointed to the door.

Miriam was inside curled up on an upholstered chair with a mug of tea and a book. The girls were napping so she was taking advantage of some quiet time, although it had been tempting to nap.

Dai
Asher nearly jumped as he was pulled out of his musings by an unexpected presence. What the... He'd been so zoned out that he didn't even notice her out of his peripheral vision. He raised a hand in a half-wave as he confirmed with a, "Yeah, that's me..." Well that was quite a bit of energy - guess it ran in the family. He'd hardly blinked when she had already started (literally) pulling him around. Wait, was this even appropriate? She called herself Miriam's aunt...

And now he was here.

He glanced at Amapola, quite cognizant that she wasn't leaving yet, then back to the door. Guess he actually couldn't just back out, huh. Was that why she was still here? Smart woman.

He gave two knocks on the door, pausing for just a moment before letting himself in. It didn't take too long to find Miriam, who was, in fact, no longer pregnant. He raised his hand (again) and gave a small, "Yo."

Mene
Miriam looked up from her book, then broke into a smile and stood, tucking a scrap of parchment into the book to mark her place as she set it down in her chair. "Asher!" she exclaimed softly, pleased. "I'm, um, glad you're here." The awkwardness of the moment was not lost on her, but she was genuinely very happy that he had come. She started to blush but put up a firm wall around those feelings. Not today with that. "How was your trip?" she asked, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She didn't want to jump right to the babies, especially since they were napping, but neither did she want to delay him meeting them, as that was obviously why he'd come. "Can I get you something? Glass of water, glass of wine? Something to eat?"

Dai
Some of the awkwardness dissipated as Miriam seemed to be her normal self, and Asher's poster and smile relaxed in turn. He reached up to scratch the back of his head. "Y'know, not bad for it being my first time leaving the village." He actually appreciated that she wasn't immediately bringing up the elephant in the room. "Actually, yeah, some wine would be good." Something to keep the nerves down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:01 am
Mene
Miriam's eyebrows went up. She couldn't believe Asher hadn't left Partayzia before. He had always seemed so worldly. "Well, welcome to Koehaira," she said with a small expansive gesture and a smile. "I'll give you the 'tour' later if you want." She started toward the kitchen area. "Red or white? I'm no sommelier but I do have a few bottles around."

Dai
Hey man, no judging. You could learn quite a lot by word-of-mouth.

He laughed at that. "Just the way to the inn - I ran into your.... Er.... Your Aunt? She's the one that pointed out your house." He gestured to the front door. "Hell, she might still be here."

He placed his hands on his hips and twisted around, half- looking at her lower back and rear, half-looking at the direction she was going. "I don't usually do wine, so just something sweet? That work?"

Mene
"I've got just the thing," said Miriam, tail swishing. She stood on her tip-toes to reach the wine shelf, which tilted forward to keep the corks wet. She pulled down a bottle of golden liquid and poured two glasses.

Aunt Amapola..? She rolled her eyes. "Everyone in this town is so damned nosy," she grumbled. Then she made a dismissing motion with her hand, picked up the glasses, and handed one to Asher. "It's peach," she explained. "Quite sweet, less tannins than like a red so it's not bitter." She herself liked the boldness of a good red wine, but she was flexible. "I'll show you to the inn later if you like, but you're also welcome to stay here, save a little money. I've got an extra room."

Dai
Asher laughed as he took the glass from her and held it up to look at the lightly-colored liquid. "Bet that's probably nice in it's own way." Wouldn't be his vibe though - much as he enjoyed his calm off days, he needed the excitement of his evening encounters as well... And he had a feeling he couldn't get that here.

He took out a sip and gave an appreciative nod. "That is quite good - you'll have to show me to some places to stock up before I head home." He then raised a brow at her suggestion as he took another sip. "Won't that just cause you trouble? Gossip and all that."

As much as he'd enjoy an evening opportunity tonight, he also kind of didn't want to get stuck caring for the kids at random times.

Mene
Miriam took a sip and sat back down in her chair, motioning toward the sofa. "I mean, they're going to gossip either way, but if you'd prefer not to I'd understand. The inn is pretty comfortable and the pub has great food."

It seemed no sooner had she sat down than a tiny noise sounded from the other room. She sighed lightly. "Looks like someone's awake. I'll be right back." She walked softly toward a room with an open door and peeeeeked inside, not wanting to disturb the girls if they were going to settle back to sleep. Unfortunately Naomi, who'd woke first, had woken Leah, so now both of them were squirming around in the crib.

"Ah, my darlings," cooed Miriam, scooping them into her arms. "How was your nap?" She gave them both a kiss on the head. "There's someone here for you to meet, my loves. I want you to be on your best behavior, okay? Of course you will."

Miriam returned to the front room with the girls, and sat down on a fluffy rug on the floor in the center of the room. She carefully laid each infant on the rug on their bellies. Miriam made a little ta-da motion and smiled. "You're welcome to come sit down here and play, if you want, or you can hang out where you are."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dai
"I figured I'd be around a few days at least - just lemme know what's easier for you Puppy girl." He followed after her to the sofa, sat down, and leaned back into a comfortable position.

He tilted his head and slightly furrowed his brows at her comment - he didn't hear anything unusual... Must be the wolf in her. He held onto her glass as she left and looked up at the ceiling, somewhat contemplating life. Damn... Really though, how had this happened? You weren't supposed to be able to conceive without a fertility potion...

Then she returned, tots in arm.

He blinked as he looked down at the pair of them, lightly commenting, "Well s**t, guess they were mind after all." Duh asshat. He didn't immediately move closer, however, and just kind of awkwardly stared at them.

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:02 am
Mene
Miriam laughed lightly. "Yes, fairly obviously," she agreed with good humor. She wasn't bothered that he didn't move closer, and wouldn't bring it up. "Their eyes remind me of you," she said fondly. "And I think they're a perfect blend of the two of us." She chuckled a little. "Although my sister Xalia thinks they look like our parents."

"Their names are Naomi and Leah," she said tenderly, touching each in turn. She blushed a little, then continued. "I, um, I also gave them your family name. I hope that's alright."

Dai
Perhaps as expected, he felt moreso a combination of disbelief and perhaps some apprehension towards his newfound kin than any sort of immediate parental love. But that was okay.

"Oh yeah, they do... And they've got your wolf features too - at least a bit." He took a sip of his wine and looked between the two and repeated, "Naomi... Leah..." He looked back at her, "Oh, Samhain? That's fine. They'll have to come meet my father and auntie at some point then, find out where it came from."

At least they wouldn't be like him, no recollection of his... mother? ...father? ...birthing parent?

Apparently auntie had met him once, but who knew.

Mene
Miriam seemed to brighten at this suggestion. "I'd love that," she said. She wanted to raise these girls on her own, but she didn't want them to be totally disconnected from their father, either. One look at Amapola and all her family's issues....yeah, she didn't want that. Miriam was happy that she and Asher were on the same page about all this, and that he seemed at least willing to stay engaged. Having children hadn't been the plan, of course, but they appeared to be making the best of it.

"So, how's work been?" she asked, changing the subject back away from the children and motioning for her wine glass back.

:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games