User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Merremia had always idolized the way Navarchus worked. Every celebration, fireside, you name it, it had his handiwork on it. He always knew how to set the right mood, have the right color scheme, it just set Merremia's heart screaming and she just had to learn how to do that.

There was also something to be proud of in that line of work. With how often the Flutters all came together to celebrate something, why, it felt like he was constantly busy and constantly just nailing it. She would find out just how!

For now, she was just happy if he'd let her run his errands or be bossed around when it came to decorating. Even if it meant being sticky lady (handing the sticky stuff to keep things up) or lunch provider (she had to make sure he ate) she was happy to do it. The thing is... she just had to get the courage to ask.

She knocked lightly on his door unsure if he was even there. She took a deep breathe and rehearsed the words she wanted to say in her head. She'd land this and be in the best job ever!

While it might seem like Navarchus was always and forever on top of his game, the reality was that one could cover a lot of anxiety by simply not pausing long enough to take questions and confidently barking instructions, instead. In between projects, though, the seemingly gregarious and flamboyant male often retreated to his alcove and pondered where he'd failed and how he could improve for the next grand event.

In the middle of one of these reveries, Nav was startled back to the here and now by the knock at his door. Now who could that be? Did something, Forn Forbid, unscheduled happen?

"Coming!" he called, pausing momentarily to furiously smooth his hair and wings before pulling the door open. "Can I he- Oh, hello Mer," he said, attempting to blink away his confusion but only succeeding in looking charmingly befuddled. "Did I forget to eat again?"

Merremia couldn't help the smile that tugged at her lips at his look, "Hello, Nava." she greeted the ever charming male. "No, not just yet." she teased lightly before looking serious. Everything she had rehersed in her head just flew out her ears and into the great beyond. Oh my, what was it she was doing here!?

She fumbled a second before taking a deep breathe and pushing forward, "I idolize you- no wait." she blushed slightly at how that came out. "I love the work you do." she decided honesty was the best course of work. "You bring so many joy in your care of our firesides and celebrations. I-i would really like to help." she said with a shy rub of the back of her neck. She didn't want him to say no, but she prepared her heart for it anyways.

"I am not sure if you even need the helping hand, but I am happy to do whatever it is that you need. Fetching supplies, making sure you eat on time. As long as you share your secrets with me." she said with a grin despite her lack of confidence in the moment.

Well now, that was some compliment. Fighting the urge to titter inanely and blush like a paeterpillar, Nav coughed politely into his hand until he mastered himself and then listened patiently while Merremia got through what she needed to say.

"Oh, my darling Merry, you already make sure I don't starve," he laughed airily, waving her inside and showing her to a seat on his little window bench. "And it's only because Anthias keeps yelling at me not to that I don't just willy nilly order everyone about. But, if this is what you want, all you had to do was say so. Congratulations, you're hired! Would you like something to drink?"

Merremia followed him inside eagerly, anxiety raging inside as she wondered if he was letting her in to let her down gently. Oh how wrong was she.

“I-I am?” She chirped in shock as she sat herself down. That was… easy? “Can I be blunt? I was sure I was going to have to convince you.” She said, the realization slowly sinking in and a giant smile pulling up her lips. She was hired!! Soon she’d be learning all of the secrets and helping with all of the smiles! How could she sit still with such good news!?

“Please! I’ll take any kind of boiled leaf or flowers you got.” She glanced out his window, tapping lightly on the wood under her, “So when do I start!? What do I start with?” She asked eagerly.

"Convince me?" he called, incredulous, from his little kitchenette while he flitted around filling a small pitcher from his pail of drinking water, crushing some dried flowers into it, and setting the whole thing on top of his small clay oven to heat up.

"Everyone likes a party, Mer. Planning is just coordinating everyone's efforts to make it a good one," he explained, carefully taking the pitcher off the oven when the liquid started to steam and pouring some into an earthenware cup for her.

"As for when you can start, well, you have impeccable timing," he added, carrying a plain, but serviceable, tea set (complete with small jar of honey to sweeten their hot leaf water) over and joining Merremia on the window seat. "The spring Fireside is coming up and it's gonna be big. Anthy says those kids from Harn will be formally introduced to everyone then, annnnd," Nav extended the word as he leaned closer, looking conspiratorial. "Rumor has it the Queen of Harn has been found!"

"Y-yeah" she laughed now completely embarrassed. "It's obvious you were born for this position with how you bring everything together so seamlessly. With your skill I was assuming you'd like someone with talent or at least some experience." she explained as she watched him work. He movement were always so precise and fluid, how did he make everything look so effortless? "But I've always been captivated by your work and how much joy you bring others that I've been dying to help."

Her ears perked. Was this her first lesson? She could almost feel her tail wagging in anticipation. Shoot, why hadn't she brought something to write with? "That makes sense. At least I know I love a good party." It made her tilt her head, "Speaking of, when did you know this is what you wanted to do for everyone?"

"Oh its so cute." she cooed to herself as he brought the set out. He was so fancy! She was feeling rather spoiled in the moment. She made sure she scooted over enough for him and gladly took the time to add some honey and take that first sip with an appreciative sigh. She nodded along with his words. She had heard about a sudden winter seed harvest. It had been big news since nothing like that had happened to them before- well and the fact the rest of them as just been shoved into a weird hibernation. She just didn't realize it was already time!

She was sipping again when the words hit her. She swallowed hard to keep from spewing the hot liquid all over him and coughed "Queen Ilwen has been found!?" She put her hand on his shoulder in utter shock having to hold herself back from shaking him, "Spill it all, Nava!"

"Oh my flowers, Mer! Please do, but really don't, stop with the flattery; it's gonna go right to my ego," Nav warned, the slow deliberate fanning of his fancy wings giving away just how much he enjoyed the praise.

"My reasons weren't anything particularly noble or selfless, though. With more training and practice, I'd probably become a decent mender. But I'm better at making things pretty than functional. So I made up a job that would give me an excuse to glam up the place."

When her hand landed on his shoulder, Navarchus braced himself for her to try and literally shake the gossip out of him, but when it became clear she was refraining, he brought his own cup to his lips and carefully sipped, peering over the rim at her. "That's the thing, Mer. I don't know anything else. Just that; 'The Queen of Harn has been found'." He sighed wistfully, lowering his mug.

"Isn't it just so mysterious? I bet Queen Belwen will clear everything up at the Fireside. And I will need all the help I can get to make the decorations match the enormity of the occasion! Happy to have you, Merry."

Merremia tried to hold back a snort at the male's antics. He was so obviously loving it and his reaction was worth it. His reasoning though was surprisingly honest, "No kidding? Huh." she had to soak that in for a min. "Thanks for the honesty, really. It makes me feel better to know that all my exploring wasn't in vain. Hopefully this'll end up a happy ending for me as well."

He was devious! She watched in horror as he took that precise second to take a sip, "You monster." she whispered with a grin, showing she didn't mean it, but she was dying inside to know nonetheless.

"What!?" she had to keep from screeching. She laughed and leaned her head back sighing heavily, "Nava, you are ruthless." she looked back at him "Its so mysterious that it has me crawling out of my skin!" she looked off in the distance, only now remembering to take another sip. "Where has she been all this time? Why did she leave in the first place?" the cup stopped halfway up to her mouth before her head whipped back towards him, "Does this mean somepae went out there!?" Could the Queen have some back on her own? If so, why hadn't she before? ...and what word from the outside world did she bring back with her!? Her head was spinning!

"Aww, what happened to 'you idolize me'?" Nav pretended to pout, working hard not to laugh aloud at her playfully murderous expression. "I understand your frustrations, though. Every time I tried to follow up on the rumor, the trail was cold before I even started. Huff Guess we'll both just have to wait and see."