Submit

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:41 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dai
Magni was still over the moon in recent weeks, his ornately-decorated, silver flower accessory carefully woven into his hair each morning. Sure, he still kind of looked grumpy per usual, but it was a happy grumpy. Like a happy French Bulldog. The amount of consideration Tiberius had shown... Oh how Magni loved him!

If only he'd been born a faun.

But they'd get past that. Maybe he could help train some more faun for the mine? Get some more time off?

That was for later.

For now, he was searching for the Shaper in hopes of asking for a little favor. The light pae were fond of a different sort of tradition, so he hoped to replicate that for his fiance.

Mene
Takis was, as usual, in his workshop. Today, however, he was alone--no apprentices to be found. He was working on some ceremonial bowls, as he'd caught wind that there had been a baby boom, of sorts, and though it would still be a season or two before they came of age, he wanted to be ready.

His ear twitched as he heard hoofsteps outside his workshop door, but would ignore them until someone knocked.

Dai
Upon reaching the door, Magni stopped and gave the frame three solid knocks before calling in, his voice booming (and probably a little inappropriately loud for the location) as he did so.

"Shaper - are you in?"

Mene
Takis jumped, startled, and he bobbled the bowl he was holding. Thankfully he caught it and set it on his workbench. Jeepers. He went to the door and opened it, curious about the source of this voice. Ah, that made sense then.

He cleared his throat gently. "Can I help you with something?" he asked.

Dai
Oh yes, he was here. Good good.

"Yes. I've come for wood." Full stop.

Mene
Takis nodded slowly, eyes slightly widened. "Uh....huh," he agreed. "Would you mind being.....slightly more specific about what you're looking for?"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:43 am
Dai
"Yes, wood. I need some. You are the Shaper, so I've come to you for it." He crossed his arms and nodded, displaying that he considered the request perfectly understandable.

Mene
Takis opened the door a bit wider and made an inviting gesture. "Why don't you come in and I'll see how I can help." He had a feeling this was going to take a while.

Dai
Magni was just a touch confused about why he needed to come in, but no matter. He wasn't leaving without some wood, or the promise for some later. That much was certain.

"If you say so."

He followed on in, arms still crossed, and looked around the workshop. Man, now wasn't this a funny little place?

Mene
Takis gestured to a bench for the other male to sit. He himself leaned on the workbench. "So I've come to understand that you're looking for wood. What is it you're intending to use it for? Are you wanting to do a carving project? Do you need something made from the Tree's wood? I can't help you if I don't know the context."

Dai
When prompted, Magni took the seat and looked up at Takis, he's posture otherwise relaxing as he uncrossed his arms and made himself comfortable. He gave a single, firm nod. "Yes, a carving project. I intend to make it a ring." His eyes seemed to light up a bit at Takis' suggestion. "Her wood would be great, but I assumed you'd tell me no if I asked for it."

Mene
Takis' curiosity was piqued, but he didn't press. "Typically we don't use the Tree's wood for carving projects; I'm the one who creates things from it. A ring sounds like something special. Can you tell me more about it? Who it's for, that sort of thing." He couldn't tell if the other male was being intentionally evasive, or was just...not one to mince words. "There's many kinds of wood that would make durable and attractive jewelry."

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:45 am
Dai
Magni clicked his tongue and frowned (his version of a pout), but quickly recovered with a shrug. "Yeup... Figured as much." He placed a hand on his knee and leaned forward. "It is special - its an engagement ring, like how those living outside the tree do. I'm going to carve it out and then engrave it. Make it pretty as best I can."

Mene
"Ah," said Takis, nodding with understanding. Everything sort of clicked into place, especially the ornate hair ornament he wore.

"That is a special project. And congratulations on your engagement." He wasn't going to ask questions about to whom, figuring that the other male would volunteer those details if he wished. "And unfortunately you're correct. She--" he gestured around them. "--would have needed to approve first. However--" He clapped his hands together once and leaned up off his workbench. "I have several other lovely options for you to undertake this labor of love." He riffled around the workbench until he found a box of wood offcuts. Most of these would be suitable size and hardness for a durable ring. "Let's see, I've got oak, walnut, rosewood, ironwood--that one might give you a bit of trouble but would certainly make a statement--and I'm sure I've got a maple in here somewhere, ah, here it is." He laid the pieces out before the other male for his inspection.

Dai
Magni gave a single nod and leaned back again, the pride evident in his expression. He crossed his arms as he continued to listen, and his eyes looked over the wood. That... Was a lot of wood to decide between. He frowned slightly. "What's the difference between them? I'm a miner, not a woodsman."

Mene
"Of course," nodded Takis. "I can tell you the properties of each, but any of them would make a fine and durable ring. If you wish, you can choose based on which you find to be most attractive." He arranged the pieces in a line, them gave a short description of each. "This maple tends to be softer, so it will be easier on your tools, and it'll be a lovely sort of red color once it's oiled. Oak has a very strong grain, just lovely to look at, and is quite hard, very durable. Rosewood is very pretty, has a pinkish red sort of tone once you finish it. Mainly use it for musical instruments but perhaps that's to your fancy. Walnut is has a beautiful and rich color and a fine, more even grain. And ironwood, it's the hardest wood there is. Would certainly make a statement about the strength of your commitment, but would also be a challenge to work with."

He leaned back and gave the other male a moment to think.

Dai
Magni furrowed his brows as he looked over the pieces laid before him, staring intently as each was described. He looked at ironwood, "I would like to say I'd take this one to prove my devotion... But I am not a woodworker, and I am not skilled at any of this... There's no point if even I can't make it beautiful." He huffed, a little frustrated his background wasn't going to be as helpful in this endeavor as he'd have liked. Perhaps he could focus on the color - what would look nice with Tiberius's skin tone? "I worry maple wouldn't last..." Though that seemed it would have been quite pretty. The closest to that would be... "I suppose I'll go with rosewood, then."

Mene
Takis nodded and picked up the rosewood piece. He ruffled around some more and found two more small pieces, then handed all three to Magni. "Take these," he said. "If something befalls your first go, you can begin again without having to come back." He chucked the other pieces back into an empty toolbox. He ought to be more organized around here. "Do you have any other questions?" he asked. He hoped the other male wouldn't ask him how to make a ring, as he hadn't actually carved anything in a long time. He left the plain wood to his apprentices, and focused on the Tree, which certainly kept him quite busy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:46 am
Dai
Magni nodded and took all three pieces of wood - the rest would be up to him. He was already beginning to stand up to show himself out when Takis spoke again and he paused mid-movement, thought to himself, and nodded once more. "Can I come when it's almost done, get a professional's advice for the finishing touches? My fiance is a whitesmith, and I'm just a miner - not exactly comparable levels of skill with handywork." There was definitely an opportunity to make an innuendo joke there, but OP didn't take the low hanging fruit.

Mene
Takis nodded. "Of course. And if I'm not here, any of my apprentices are just as skilled with woodworking. Good luck with your project--and your engagement." It was then he noticed the ornate flower in the other male's hair, and put the pieces together. What a lovely gesture, then.

Dai
Magni offered one more nod before he finished standing up, wood in his arms, and headed on home.

He had some work to do.

Menelie

Toothsome Fairy

14,725 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Happy Birthday! 100
:[ The Fifth Age ]:

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers