CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:28 am
Hello, everyone. CrystBalfast here of the Mermaid Princess RP Guild!

Here is a PSA about the characters explaining about Total Panic & the Introduction to 1989.
This is for those who are unfamiliar with the TV Show that ran from 1989 to 1990.
This is the First of 4 variety participation series being Total Panic, Outta Here, What Would You Do & You're On.

This section is also outside the main IC for the guild.

PSA OOC Time: 12-12-2022/12-13-2022 to 12-14-2022/12-23-2022

PSA Segments:
= Introduction to 1989
= Total Panic Wake Up Call

In Progress Visits:

Completed Visits:

Total Panic Sound Stage
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:10 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Richard
St. Ivalice Prince (Knight)
"Strength isn't my only weapon."

[Player's Room]

Richard along with Athena and her mother enter the Player's Room
Hello, everyone.

User Image User Image User Image User Image
Narrator: Welcome to 1989!
The Narrator plays talks about 1989 first before Total Panic

*Entertainment in 1989*
Narrator: In Movies, theaters are packed with Smash Hits & one Disney Princess movie which altered the course of Folklore History forever.
Movies released in that year were...
Batman,
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade,
Ghostbusters 2,
Lethal Weapon 2,
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,
Back to the Future 2...
and that Disney Princess Movie I mentioned before as a Game Changer for Fairy Tale History; The Little Mermaid.
Which not only introduced the World of Atlantica and its Generations to the World such as Athena, Ariel & Melody, but also proved that a Mermaid can have her happily ever after ending too.

*Music in 1989*
Narrator: The B-52s make their comeback by releasing Love Shack & Cosmic Thing.

*Books in 1989*
Narrator: R.L Stine launches his Children's Stephen King of Horror by releasing Fear Street.

*Gaming in 1989*
Narrator: SimCity, EarthBound Zero (Mother 1), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade are released alongside the SEGA Genesis with its bundled game Altered Beast. But it would be 2 more years until a Blue Hedgehog we all know and love arrives on Earth to skyrocket SEGA to towering success.
But in the meantime, the Console Wars were fought between the Atari Lynx and Game Boy. However, the Game Boy struck down the Atari Lynx with its Launch Title of Tetris. Also, The Wizard happened too.

*Births in 1989*
Narrator: Taylor Swift, Daniel Radcliffe & Elizabeth Olsen are born.

*Television in 1989*
Narrator: Steve Urkel arrives on Family Matters, The Cryptkeeper rises from his Grave in Tales from the Crypt & Seinfeld moves in.
Other shows include Baywatch & America's Home Videos.
However, during that time, FOX Network airs a Cartoon Sitcom that we come to know and love before Disney got its hands on it decades later, being The Simpsons.

*Children's TV in 1989*
Narrator: Beetlejuice, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Shining Time Station, along with Super Mario Brothers Super Show & The Legend of Zelda premiere on Television.

Sounds like a lot happened, Athena. Richard said to Athena

Queentintin

Quote:

Quote:

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin

Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 am
Athena
Princess of Atlantica
User Image
Oh my *smiles* it all sounds so fun, what fun shows and games 3nodding . so exciting tell us more pls heart and *The Little Mermaid* , sounds sweet =)
thinks Athena

CrystBalfast

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:39 am
Richard

[Player's Room]

*Nickelodeon 1989*
Narrator: Nickelodeon under its Golden Age, Celebrated its 10th Birthday with its Revenue income of $90 Million. Various Pilots happened to determined the Launch of the Nicktoons. The Nickelodoen Studios was being built alongside the Sound Stages in Orlando at the Under Construction Universal Studios Orlando. More on Nick Studios later.

In 1989, Nickelodeon had 6 New Shows, 2 Original Series, 2 Games, the first of 4 Participation Shows & 1 from Nick at Nite.
The First Original Series being Teenage Sitcom, the first of many on Nickelodeon called Hey Dude.
The Second Original Series being a Successor to Pinwheel complete with Preschooler Puppet Shows & Colorful Sets.

Double Dare's Payout was starting to pay off as this was the birth of 1990s. Nickelodeon which would lay the foundation for more Original Content yet to come during its Golden Age.

Nickelodeon celebrated its anniversary, by launching a 2-3 Hour Participation Show called Total Panic with Games, Highlights, Interviews, Previews, Prizes, Music and more.

Why 2-3 Hours? Doesn't that sound like a Programing Block than a show in some ways? Richard asked Athena and her mother

Queentintin

Quote:

Quote:

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin

Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:36 am
User Image

Athena
Princess of Atlantica

lol Richard, yes my Prince it does sound like it , surprised
thinks his Princess

CrystBalfast

Quote:

Quote:

User Image
Aphrodite
Athena's Mother (Former Goddess/Mortal)

They had good ideas , though, people let themselves get programmed, it's fun =),right
thinks Aphrodite, it sure got attention I imagine ,special,anniversary 3nodding

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:49 am
Richard

[Player's Room]

*Total Panic: Structuring & Hosts*
Narrator: After its launch, Total Panic aired every Sunday from 9AM to 12 Noon. Which may have not been the best time back then due to Church and Sunday School. Since most Network Television Stations opted for News Programing. For USA Network, they were running Cartoon Express during that time while Nickelodeon aired its Daytime Shows such as Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, Lassie.

Total Panic was a Mixture of segments both On Set & On Location such as Reviews, Previews, Participation and more...
One example being a Game Review (Ex: Altered Beast), a Quick Segment where audience members would answer questions for a shot a Grand Prize, or even visiting a Sitcom Today set from the 1950s to 1980s in a way, to name a few.

Audience interaction and participation was a key element where they would decide something such as Music Videos.

The Games they played looked akin to Double Dare but it also felt like picking something completely random at times.

Total Panic sometimes shuffles around from interviews to Obstacle Courses, even fun and games. The Residing Hosts for Total Panic was Keith Diamond and Molly Pesce.

Molly Pesce or Molly Scott entered her Show Bussiness through Beauty Pagents of Miss Amercia 1987.
After Total Panic, she proceeded to Comedy Central's Short Attention Span Theater.

Keith Diamond, after Total Panic went to voice Agent J on the Men in Black Animated Series for Kids WB. He left Total Panic around July 1989 & was succeed by Greg Lee.

Greg Lee was the announcer for Outta Here which we'll talk about later on. His must renowned role was the Host of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego from 1991 to 1995 on PBS.

Sounds like fun, my Wisdom Heart... Richard said to Athena.

Queentintin

Quote:

Quote:

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin

Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:59 am
Athena
Princess of Atlantica
User Image
It sure does, my Prince xoxo .
thinks wow interesting biggrin , I did not know that much ty^^

CrystBalfast

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:23 pm
Richard

[Player's Room]

*Total Panic: Reception*
Narrator: Total Panic had no script, rehearsals and takes, there was pretty much plenty of randomness not to mention random people being chosen from the audience which differs from show to show.
This was not the first time something like this happened as it felt like Wonderama from 1955 to 1977 all over again.

What became of Total Panic was the Orlando Space by the 1990s. One such example was Rated K which felt like a Film Review Show on Nick until it finished airing in 1988. Rated K for Kids by Kids did arrive onto Total Panic.
So Total Panic felt like that it combined Wonderama with Nick Rocks & Rated K in a way.
Like Double Dare, it went through Workshoping and Pilot Testing.

By July 1989, Total Panic became a 2 Hour Show such as "Best of Total Panic" in September 1989.
In March 1990, Total Panic's Production was moved to the Universal Studios Theme Park in Orlando which was still being built where it was refit but continued its zany themes.

After Nick Studios was opened to the Public, Total Panic became a Half Hour Weekday show which lead to Outta Here being Total Panic's 1st Successor which we'll get to later.
Total Panic aired its final episode in September 1990.
Not much video content of that show exists at the moment as two hours to partial videos can be found. Recording a 3 Hour Show was really hard back then as Video Recorders back then Maxed Out at 2 Hours. Better Recording Options was made in 1989 on VCRs.

While Total Panic had its share of Games, its one of a few games that did NOT air on Nick GAS where most Nick Games were aired as Reruns.

Aphrodite, sounds like Total Panic went through some ups and downs. I think if it was brought back, it would be fun. Richard said to Athena.

Queentintin

SweetSorrow101

Quote:

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

SweetSorrow101

Crew

Sweet Friend

19,400 Points
  • Solarpowered 250
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:56 pm
User Image
Athena
Princess of Atlantica

I agree my love prince *smiles* future Prince of Atlantica and St-Ivalice heart
thinks Athena they has quite a run 3nodding

CrystBalfast

Quote:

Quote:

User Image
Aphrodite

I agree as well=) it would be nice to see them return biggrin
thinks Aphrodite

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:16 pm
Richard

[Player's Room]

*Total Panic: Overall*
Narrator: Overall, Total Panic is pretty fun. It just goes to show just because a show has a cult following with a Cheap B-Motif, its still enjoyable. The open floor space did work out well along with its successors, Outta Here, What Would You Do & You're On. There was one element of Total Panic that would be revisited down the road.

One game in Total Panic was called Eat-a-Bug where audience members would stand in front of a Chroma Key Screen & wave their arms to swat bugs while avoiding spiders & bees. While it looked simple enough, this was new during 1989 where computers respond to a Chroma Key. 2 Members of Total Panic's Crew were inspired by this Marvel where you can build an entire game using this concept.
But that's another story...

Aphrodite, Athena, sounds like a Foreshadowing when the Narrator talks about Nick Arcade. Richard said to Athena.

*End of PSA*

Queentintin

SweetSorrow101

Quote:

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Queentintin

Vice Captain

Fashionable Delight

33,100 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:42 pm
User Image

Aphrodite

Pretty creative indeed, =) must have been something!*smiles*
thinks Aphrodite

CrystBalfast

User Image

Athena
Princess of Atlantica

wow, who knew there was such cool games, and yes understood about the Foreshadowing ,right my love?
thinks Athena, except the *Eat the Bugs* Game lol  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:04 am

CrystBalfast
Captain

Devoted Admirer

11,050 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
OOC PSAs, Games and Specials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers