Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Ideas to Grow Our Guild! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have some poll plat!
  mmm.....free platinum
  thanks!
View Results

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:56 pm
angelmage99
Okay I have a question.

I'm in the process of creating threads for cons on the east coast. I'm only doing 10,000+ cons (for my sanity) for the moment, but my question is if I should place notes on concerning commentary that cons have previously made?

For Example:
Anime Oasis this year made a comment about restricting clothing to being related to Japanese themes only. Meaning western media was a no-no.

What do you guys think. I personally like to know when and what people have said about cons. I don't support bad behavior or policies. The commentary doesn't have to be all bad. On the flip side it could be something that con did to support another group or the community. I personally do make an effort to support groups and organizations that are positive.

Example:
Kuroneko Con this year unveiled a second mascot who is non-binary in support of the non-binary staff and visitors.

What do you guys think. Should I have a note option to help people deciding to go to a con?

I like that idea! Con ethics is something that didn't used to be as widely discussed as it is now, and I feel like its increasingly important to crowds. We can list such info and leave it up to each congoer to decide if its a deal breaker or not for them.

Imo, its always worth celebrating the positives of a changing con culture. Like, I didn't know about Kuro-Neko con's mascot!! That's awesome! Likewise, even for the negative I think its good to be aware bc as a community we should be able to demand better from our cons. I know Sac-Anime lost a lot of veteran attendees due to some of their policies even before covid, and even more people due to some of their pandemic decisions.

While I think it was much too little, a little too late, after all the lockdowns ended they improved their policy at least a smidgen as...well..an attempt lol. But I digress lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:50 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
angelmage99
Okay I have a question.

I'm in the process of creating threads for cons on the east coast. I'm only doing 10,000+ cons (for my sanity) for the moment, but my question is if I should place notes on concerning commentary that cons have previously made?

For Example:
Anime Oasis this year made a comment about restricting clothing to being related to Japanese themes only. Meaning western media was a no-no.

What do you guys think. I personally like to know when and what people have said about cons. I don't support bad behavior or policies. The commentary doesn't have to be all bad. On the flip side it could be something that con did to support another group or the community. I personally do make an effort to support groups and organizations that are positive.

Example:
Kuroneko Con this year unveiled a second mascot who is non-binary in support of the non-binary staff and visitors.

What do you guys think. Should I have a note option to help people deciding to go to a con?

I like that idea! Con ethics is something that didn't used to be as widely discussed as it is now, and I feel like its increasingly important to crowds. We can list such info and leave it up to each congoer to decide if its a deal breaker or not for them.

Imo, its always worth celebrating the positives of a changing con culture. Like, I didn't know about Kuro-Neko con's mascot!! That's awesome! Likewise, even for the negative I think its good to be aware bc as a community we should be able to demand better from our cons. I know Sac-Anime lost a lot of veteran attendees due to some of their policies even before covid, and even more people due to some of their pandemic decisions.

While I think it was much too little, a little too late, after all the lockdowns ended they improved their policy at least a smidgen as...well..an attempt lol. But I digress lol.

I agree. There's a new con that's popped up this year close to to me (about an hour) and have yet to mention any attempt of making a policy or declaration of support (or anything). I'll give them a break since they're new, but if they don't have one by their third convention I'm out.

I also feel it important to post dates of when said action happen. Like you know "Anime Oasis made some upsetting comments that caused the community to question them in 2023, please clip this link for more info."
That way if it's an older issue, people can make their own choice. For me Anime Oasis is getting a three year break before I go back. I felt the issue serious, they needed to be grounded, but I think they are getting the message now and that is 'don't piss off the fans'.

Also side note: I do have a thread where I post said topic of con issues like what happened with Anime Boise for discussion. Or really any issues that pop up in the Con/Cosplay Community. Like the stuff that's happening with AI Art.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:35 pm
angelmage99
Okay I have a question.

For Example:

Example:

This note option sounds like a good idea. Conventions are going through a big transformation right now. Some are posting and or enforcing new rules that haven't been seen before. Some are related to costume types, LGBTQ, ethnic groups, pronouns and so much more. If a convention posts specific rules we need to determine if they are important and if they are post what they are in thread. Also we need to be mindful of what the new rule is about and be respectful. Make sure to refer people to the Conventions website for more info. Directing people to the website will help them determine if the con is for them, Also we may have to check each year to see if the rules have changed. I have a feeling that we are going to go through confusing times for a while. Hopefully the cons can endure the changes and keep the fun alive.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:26 am
I just had an idea and would like to know what you all think. How do you feel about having a Masterpost in each subforum that lists all the conventions as well as what type they are? that way if someone is looking for a specific type of new con to try out (anime, steampunk, comic, etc.) it can be easy for them to browse by type?  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:58 am
smithers456
angelmage99
Okay I have a question.

For Example:

Example:

This note option sounds like a good idea. Conventions are going through a big transformation right now. Some are posting and or enforcing new rules that haven't been seen before. Some are related to costume types, LGBTQ, ethnic groups, pronouns and so much more. If a convention posts specific rules we need to determine if they are important and if they are post what they are in thread. Also we need to be mindful of what the new rule is about and be respectful. Make sure to refer people to the Conventions website for more info. Directing people to the website will help them determine if the con is for them, Also we may have to check each year to see if the rules have changed. I have a feeling that we are going to go through confusing times for a while. Hopefully the cons can endure the changes and keep the fun alive.

I agree about making sure we check for changes. We should also keep an eye for each other. Like if someone hears something from a con in my areas please tell me. Sadly most of what I hear about is going to be the stuff that explodes or the stuff in my living area. Like I know a lot about Kuroneko Con because that was my home anime con for a long time.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:52 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
I just had an idea and would like to know what you all think. How do you feel about having a Masterpost in each subforum that lists all the conventions as well as what type they are? that way if someone is looking for a specific type of new con to try out (anime, steampunk, comic, etc.) it can be easy for them to browse by type?

Arisa check out the Conventions Website and News thread on the main forum. On it is a link to https://animecons.com/events/ (Anime Cons) Their is an ongoing list of conventions on it. The website is pretty big website. It features upcoming websites from around the world. Also you can look back at previous ones. I found this website a long time ago and we can certainly make use of it now. A typical listing has the name, website, date, and location of the convention. Their could be a thread in all of the sub forums with this website link in it. Check out the Anime Cons website you will be amazed.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:01 am
The people who do AnimeCon.com also do a master site for all conventions FanCons.com. The list may be different depending on what website the info was submitted.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:10 pm
angelmage99
The people who do AnimeCon.com also do a master site for all conventions FanCons.com. The list may be different depending on what website the info was submitted.

Sounds like it's worth checking out both Websites.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:35 pm
I have reached Goal!!!!

I was set out to have 150 tutorial list and I've made it. To be honest It's 158+, but I didn't want to make a listing for every single Final Fantasy or every Miyazaki Movie. That and my last bit was a list of 13 shonen all together going from 145 to 158 once finished.

I'll now focus a little more on general list and listing Anime Cons for my regions. I'll probably do more anime cons while I get things together on the general list.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:01 pm
angelmage99
I have reached Goal!!!!

I was set out to have 150 tutorial list and I've made it. To be honest It's 158+, but I didn't want to make a listing for every single Final Fantasy or every Miyazaki Movie. That and my last bit was a list of 13 shonen all together going from 145 to 158 once finished.

I'll now focus a little more on general list and listing Anime Cons for my regions. I'll probably do more anime cons while I get things together on the general list.

WOOOO!! Congratulations!!! That's awesome!  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:41 am
Okay I need some opinions.

I'm working on creating fewer treads in the Tutorials Forum. I plan on combining things together and creating list. Originally I was thinking of making a mega thread, but I'm starting to see some flaws in that idea. Mainly there are so many subjects I could touch on and that if I need to alter the thread, it would be a pain in the butt.

I'm starting to think that breaking the thread into several smaller threads would be a better idea. I'm also wondering to what extent that I was subjects talked about.

That being said please keep several questions in mind when looking through my current plan and also please ask me questions if you have any. First does the subject fit the theme of the idea of tutorials? Would it be better in a different forum/thread? Is there anything that isn't talked about?

Thread #1
Quote:
COSPLAY PLANNING/COMMUNITY
Resources
Materials
Patterns
News in Cosplay (Latest updates on materials and techniques)
Accesability and Diversity
Social Media- Finding Friends
Social Media- To advertise oneself
Cosplay Contest Participation
Cosplay Contest Judging
Becoming A Cosplay Guest and Their Roles

Thread #2
Quote:
COSPLAY CREATION BASICS
Types of Creation and Terms
Machines, Tools, and Devices
Make Up
Wigs
Footwear
Eyewear and Contacts
Cross-Plays
Basic Sewing
Using Foam
Using Thermo-Plastics
Leather Tutorials
Resin
Jewelry
Patternmaking
Boning
Using Dye
Using Clay
Applique
Crotching, Kniting, and Looming
Embrodiery and Cross Stitching

Thread #3
Quote:
CLOTHING DESIGN
Altering Clothing
Underthings
Swimsuits
Socks/Stocking
Skirts
Pants
Shirts
Dresses
Jackets

Thread #4
Quote:
FEATURED PIECES
Armor Tutorials
Wings
Horns
Beaks/Noses
Ears
Claws

Thread #5
Quote:
ACCESSORIES AND PROPS
Weapons/Props
Hats
Headwear
Gloves
Capes and Cloaks
Other Accessories

Thread #6
Quote:
GENRE PIECES
Fantasy Clothing
Sci-Fi Clothing
Lolita Clothing
Gothic Clothing
Historical
Steampunk
Monsters and Horror
Kigurumi-Pajamas
Kigurumi-Heads
Furry Costumes
Mecha Builds

I recognize that some subjects will crossover, but I plan on linking the threads together. Like if someone wanted to know about sewing a cape, then a link to the basic sewing page would be there.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 pm
angelmage99

Even broken up, some of those will be quite hefty threads! Do you intend for them to be lists of resources only, or for discussion/questions? Because I feel like some topics would do perfect as resource lists, but there's some that I feel will definitely have a lot to be discussed. Unless you'd like to have the main thread (maybe as a Sticky) be an informative list/touch points, and then also have a discussion thread that you link to it? Just spitballing ideas!  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:48 pm
angelmage99
Okay I need some opinions.

I'm working on creating fewer treads in the Tutorials Forum. I plan on combining things together and creating list. Originally I was thinking of making a mega thread, but I'm starting to see some flaws in that idea. Mainly there are so many subjects I could touch on and that if I need to alter the thread, it would be a pain in the butt.

I'm starting to think that breaking the thread into several smaller threads would be a better idea. I'm also wondering to what extent that I was subjects talked about.

That being said please keep several questions in mind when looking through my current plan and also please ask me questions if you have any. First does the subject fit the theme of the idea of tutorials? Would it be better in a different forum/thread? Is there anything that isn't talked about?

Thread #1
Quote:
COSPLAY PLANNING/COMMUNITY
Resources
Materials
Patterns
News in Cosplay (Latest updates on materials and techniques)
Accesability and Diversity
Social Media- Finding Friends
Social Media- To advertise oneself
Cosplay Contest Participation
Cosplay Contest Judging
Becoming A Cosplay Guest and Their Roles

Thread #2
Quote:
COSPLAY CREATION BASICS
Types of Creation and Terms
Machines, Tools, and Devices
Make Up
Wigs
Footwear
Eyewear and Contacts
Cross-Plays
Basic Sewing
Using Foam
Using Thermo-Plastics
Leather Tutorials
Resin
Jewelry
Patternmaking
Boning
Using Dye
Using Clay
Applique
Crotching, Kniting, and Looming
Embrodiery and Cross Stitching

Thread #3
Quote:
CLOTHING DESIGN
Altering Clothing
Underthings
Swimsuits
Socks/Stocking
Skirts
Pants
Shirts
Dresses
Jackets

Thread #4
Quote:
FEATURED PIECES
Armor Tutorials
Wings
Horns
Beaks/Noses
Ears
Claws

Thread #5
Quote:
ACCESSORIES AND PROPS
Weapons/Props
Hats
Headwear
Gloves
Capes and Cloaks
Other Accessories

Thread #6
Quote:
GENRE PIECES
Fantasy Clothing
Sci-Fi Clothing
Lolita Clothing
Gothic Clothing
Historical
Steampunk
Monsters and Horror
Kigurumi-Pajamas
Kigurumi-Heads
Furry Costumes
Mecha Builds

I recognize that some subjects will crossover, but I plan on linking the threads together. Like if someone wanted to know about sewing a cape, then a link to the basic sewing page would be there.

I feel that these threads could be posted in the Cosplay Help Sub Forum or we could even create a new Sub Forum. Something to think about. Also we don't necessarily want the threads to be too long. In the end we want Guild Members to want to read and use them. The Tutorial threads are just fine. The Cosplay Help Sub Forum needs some work. Not sure what to do with Salsa's threads yet. There are useful things in the threads she started.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:56 pm
Arisa and Ashlegh good news. Our fellow Crew Member OnsenMark recently posted in 2 threads. It's been a long time since he has been on the Guild. One of the places he posted was on the Introduce Yourself thread on the Main Forum. Please quote him on the thread and welcome him back.

Arisa I think you brought us some good luck. Two Crew Members have popped up and posted since you joined.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:21 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu

Okay to answer your questions. For the most part I'm thinking resource list, but Arisa you give me an idea. I Can block out a certain number of post and then open up for disccussion out the end. I may not do that for the more tutorial cosplay list like for making wings (as people can post more question in the cosplay help if the tutorials don't have an answer), but for the first thread idea it would work well.

I still may add notes for that first thread or any of the tutorial threads if I feel comfortable about doing so. I'm not an expert or anything, but I still may know that using a breathing technique during a cosplay contest walk-on will help a lot with keeping track of when to change and move or a note that if you're making a piece and there's an anime character with a similar piece, to do research on that character.

Maybe getting some Crew/VC/Cap to make quotes and tips if they have experience would help. It'll also make it fun and help to break up the post.

Example

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

"Angelmage"
Blah Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items