Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Ideas to Grow Our Guild! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have some poll plat!
  mmm.....free platinum
  thanks!
View Results

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:44 am
smithers456

I feel that these threads could be posted in the Cosplay Help Sub Forum or we could even create a new Sub Forum. Something to think about. Also we don't necessarily want the threads to be too long. In the end we want Guild Members to want to read and use them. The Tutorial threads are just fine. The Cosplay Help Sub Forum needs some work. Not sure what to do with Salsa's threads yet. There are useful things in the threads she started.

I think the general cosplay information would probably be best in the Cosplay help subforum, because it's not specifically tutorials. While the rest are tutorials and can be put into the tutorial thread. A lot of this work will be replacing Xinitia's work.

Maybe we can do to Salsa what I'm doing to Xintia. Give them the credit for the work they put in and combine and update things together to make it look clearer? Salsa may have known things that I didn't so that could help out with not having a bunch of "look at this for more answers".  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:44 pm
smithers456
Arisa and Ashlegh good news. Our fellow Crew Member OnsenMark recently posted in 2 threads. It's been a long time since he has been on the Guild. One of the places he posted was on the Introduce Yourself thread on the Main Forum. Please quote him on the thread and welcome him back.
Arisa I think you brought us some good luck. Two Crew Members have popped up and posted since you joined.

That's awesome!! I'll definitely take a look at his posts mrgreen
angelmage99
Ennichi_Jimetsu

Okay to answer your questions. For the most part I'm thinking resource list, but Arisa you give me an idea. I Can block out a certain number of post and then open up for disccussion out the end. I may not do that for the more tutorial cosplay list like for making wings (as people can post more question in the cosplay help if the tutorials don't have an answer), but for the first thread idea it would work well.

I still may add notes for that first thread or any of the tutorial threads if I feel comfortable about doing so. I'm not an expert or anything, but I still may know that using a breathing technique during a cosplay contest walk-on will help a lot with keeping track of when to change and move or a note that if you're making a piece and there's an anime character with a similar piece, to do research on that character.

Maybe getting some Crew/VC/Cap to make quotes and tips if they have experience would help. It'll also make it fun and help to break up the post.

Example

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

"Angelmage"
Blah Blah Blah Blah

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

I think that's a great way to approach it! In that case, here's my thoughts on each of your threads:

Quote:
Thread #1
COSPLAY PLANNING/COMMUNITY
Resources
Materials
Patterns
News in Cosplay (Latest updates on materials and techniques)
Accesability and Diversity
Social Media- Finding Friends
Social Media- To advertise oneself
Cosplay Contest Participation
Cosplay Contest Judging
Becoming A Cosplay Guest and Their Roles

I love this thread's concept. While it'd still be handy to link them into this thread, I feel like the topics that are hefty enough to be separated into their own thread (sticky or not) would be News in Cosplay (would be great to update the thread regularly, and can serve as a place for people discuss the news), Both social media topics (algorithms are ever changing and hard to understand when you're just getting started or tech un-savvy like me lol. Main posts could be the info you think of, as well as edited with other user's tips and tricks. Everyone can discuss what works for them on different platforms), Contests gave me an idea that could be fun. if people are participating/judging one, maybe we can have a shout-out area to support them? Especially if its a con that will have a live-stream or later released recording. it'd be a good place to cheer people on and congratulate them.

Quote:
Thread #2
COSPLAY CREATION BASICS
Types of Creation and Terms
Machines, Tools, and Devices
Make Up
Wigs
Footwear
Eyewear and Contacts
Cross-Plays
Basic Sewing
Using Foam
Using Thermo-Plastics
Leather Tutorials
Resin
Jewelry
Patternmaking
Boning
Using Dye
Using Clay
Applique
Crotching, Kniting, and Looming
Embrodiery and Cross Stitching

I think this one's pretty great as-is. The only thing I can think of adding is a mention of safety measures for things like wearing masks/respirators/proper gloves with certain things. I see soooo many creators NOT do any of that in their videos/tutorials and I think it sets a bad example for new Makers. Years ago, I made the mistake of not knowing to use gloves with E6000 until my fingertips started going a little numb because I'd heard so many cosplayers say "nah, it's fine!"

Quote:
Thread #3
CLOTHING DESIGN
Altering Clothing
Underthings
Swimsuits
Socks/Stocking
Skirts
Pants
Shirts
Dresses
Jackets

This one is great for showing people the basics and details of different garments! Knowing the names of different silhouettes can help them know what patterns or tutorials to look for.

Quote:
Thread #4
FEATURED PIECES
Armor Tutorials
Wings
Horns
Beaks/Noses
Ears
Claws

Good as-is imo, Maybe just re-iterate safety gear again!

Quote:
Thread #5
ACCESSORIES AND PROPS
Weapons/Props
Hats
Headwear
Gloves
Capes and Cloaks
Other Accessories

Also good as-is

Quote:
Thread #6
GENRE PIECES
Fantasy Clothing
Sci-Fi Clothing
Lolita Clothing
Gothic Clothing
Historical
Steampunk
Monsters and Horror
Kigurumi-Pajamas
Kigurumi-Heads
Furry Costumes
Mecha Builds

Some of these have such big communities I think they'll definitely need to link out to other threads in addition to the resources you link. A lot of these have big and nuanced history as fashion sub-genres and counter-cultures that it's hard to group it all into just one thread. Historical and Lolita could almost be a sub-forum on their own. Though I don't know if that would deviate the guild too much from being con/cosplay based? Unless we'd like to have just one subforum for alt. fashion/sub-cultures? I will leave that to Captain and Vice Captains to decide!

I am a fashion major though, so whatever is decided I will happily help contribute lol. I'm more versed in historical, lolita, and some kei fashions, but am down to help with research since there'd be sooo much to cover!  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:18 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu

In terms of commenting about safety... 110%. I work at Joann's right now and I recently people have asked about resin and buying dyes. I always tell them to read the instructions and know that they need to have extra supplies that are not related to their cooking.

As far as the costume subgenres. I should probably also mention events that people can go to. There are Steampunk, furry, and Horror Cons. There are also historical events that people can go to.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:50 pm
angelmage99
In terms of commenting about safety... 110%. I work at Joann's right now and I recently people have asked about resin and buying dyes. I always tell them to read the instructions and know that they need to have extra supplies that are not related to their cooking.

As far as the costume subgenres. I should probably also mention events that people can go to. There are Steampunk, furry, and Horror Cons. There are also historical events that people can go to.

Lol I'm glad you're there to advise them!! Their nerve endings should thank you in 10 years.

Mentioning events is a good idea too! Should we include those in the list of localized conventions? Or a separate subforum?  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:10 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
angelmage99

Lol I'm glad you're there to advise them!! Their nerve endings should thank you in 10 years.

Mentioning events is a good idea too! Should we include those in the list of localized conventions? Or a separate subforum?

I think I'm going to mention the cons and link them to the websites within thread. A lot of them are smaller and so it may kind of a waste of time to have them in their regional subforms, but worth mentioning so people who are interested can go.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:00 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

I feel that these threads could be posted in the Cosplay Help Sub Forum or we could even create a new Sub Forum. Something to think about. Also we don't necessarily want the threads to be too long. In the end we want Guild Members to want to read and use them. The Tutorial threads are just fine. The Cosplay Help Sub Forum needs some work. Not sure what to do with Salsa's threads yet. There are useful things in the threads she started.

I think the general cosplay information would probably be best in the Cosplay help subforum, because it's not specifically tutorials. While the rest are tutorials and can be put into the tutorial thread. A lot of this work will be replacing Xinitia's work.

Maybe we can do to Salsa what I'm doing to Xintia. Give them the credit for the work they put in and combine and update things together to make it look clearer? Salsa may have known things that I didn't so that could help out with not having a bunch of "look at this for more answers".

That's fine. You can do the same thing with salsaplant's work. Note that her threads go back to when the Guild was started. So their could be some useful older ideas that are still good for current times.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:24 pm
Everyone here is an updated version of the Conventions Sub Forums. Note I decided to put them in alphabetical order. The Midwest and Western cons will still be needed to be sorted out and moved if needed. A copy of the old and current lists will be in the Crew Sub Forum.

Current USA Convention Sub Forums List as of Aug 2023

.: Northeast :.
-Connecticut
-Delaware
-Maine
-Maryland/DC
-Massachusetts
-New Hampshire
-New Jersey
-New York
-Pennsylvania
-Rhode Island
-Vermont

.: Southern :.
-Alabama
-Arkansas
-Florida
-Georgia
-Louisiana
-Mississippi
-North Carolina
-Oklahoma
-South Carolina
-Tennessee
-Texas
-Virginia
-West Virginia

.: MidWest :.
-Illinois
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Kansas
-Kentucky
-Michigan
-Minnesota
-Missouri
-Nebraska
-North Dakota
-Ohio
-South Dakota
-Wisconsin

.: West Coast & Mountain :.
-Alaska
-Arizona
-California
-Colorado
-Hawaii
-Idaho
-Montana
-Nevada
-New Mexico
-Oregon
-Utah
-Washington
-Wyoming  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:22 am
Is there a way to archive or delete threads to clean up a forum space? I was thinking of archiving/deleting (whichever is preferred) old/repeated convention threads as I work though West Coast/Mountain region. I am considering having the larger cons all remain Sticky, and smaller events be regular threads that can still be updated in the same manner.  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:58 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
Is there a way to archive or delete threads to clean up a forum space? I was thinking of archiving/deleting (whichever is preferred) old/repeated convention threads as I work though West Coast/Mountain region. I am considering having the larger cons all remain Sticky, and smaller events be regular threads that can still be updated in the same manner.

We have a subforum for archieving threads.

As for deleting forums...

On the left hand bottom of the page, under the reply button, is an X in a circle. That's the delete button.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:29 pm
angelmage99

On the left hand bottom of the page, under the reply button, is an X in a circle. That's the delete button.

Oh i see! thank you! I was thinking of archiving them, but to clear space do you all prefer I delete the doubles? I wanted to get your opinions before I start  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:39 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
angelmage99

Oh i see! thank you! I was thinking of archiving them, but to clear space do you all prefer I delete the doubles? I wanted to get your opinions before I start

Since you're doing the convention subforum. I'd recommend keeping at least one thread. When I started working on them orginally Smithers and I talked about what we wanted for the first post. I thinking keeping at least one of those would be a good idea.

Another idea is deleting the threads as you go. For example: I noticed a couple of Sac-Con threads. Gathering information that work with your posting goal and then deleting them.

I'd also like to recommend not working too much about the small cons. Focus on bigger conventions for now. So for Washington and Oregon it'll be Kumori Con, Rose City Comic Con, Emerald City Comic Con, PAX, and Sakura Con. Anime Oasis should be featured as well, but avoid any other for now, and Utah only needs FanX and Anime Banzai for now. All the other cons are too small and localized for the time being. Once we get people who go to those cons (besides me) we'll add them.

Also one last side note: One of the things I'm doing in my threads is putting the month(s) the con usually takes place in. Like Sakura-Con is Easter weekend which lands in March or April. That way people can make plans even if the date is not releasled yet.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:24 pm
angelmage99

Since you're doing the convention subforum. I'd recommend keeping at least one thread. When I started working on them orginally Smithers and I talked about what we wanted for the first post. I thinking keeping at least one of those would be a good idea.

Another idea is deleting the threads as you go. For example: I noticed a couple of Sac-Con threads. Gathering information that work with your posting goal and then deleting them.

I'd also like to recommend not working too much about the small cons. Focus on bigger conventions for now. So for Washington and Oregon it'll be Kumori Con, Rose City Comic Con, Emerald City Comic Con, PAX, and Sakura Con. Anime Oasis should be featured as well, but avoid any other for now, and Utah only needs FanX and Anime Banzai for now. All the other cons are too small and localized for the time being. Once we get people who go to those cons (besides me) we'll add them.

Also one last side note: One of the things I'm doing in my threads is putting the month(s) the con usually takes place in. Like Sakura-Con is Easter weekend which lands in March or April. That way people can make plans even if the date is not releasled yet.

Thanks for the pointers, Angel! I'll also include the events I go to even if they're relatively smaller. If I hear of anyone in my local community coming back to Gaia, I'll be able to point them to the guild. (Unlikely, but I'm hopeful! lol. Plus I was thinking it could be a nice addition for people who attend to write a short review of x or y con. It could be a good way for people to decide if they'd like to commit to attending one or not. Sac-Anime is this weekend, so I'll be able to add one for it this year.)

In the case of Sakura-con, I included in the notes that their main heading has the incorrect dates, but that their registration page is correct. I'll be sure to include similar info for any other events with the same issue. Otherwise, keeping the date approximate like you said is a good idea  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:51 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu

Thanks for the pointers, Angel! I'll also include the events I go to even if they're relatively smaller. If I hear of anyone in my local community coming back to Gaia, I'll be able to point them to the guild. (Unlikely, but I'm hopeful! lol. Plus I was thinking it could be a nice addition for people who attend to write a short review of x or y con. It could be a good way for people to decide if they'd like to commit to attending one or not. Sac-Anime is this weekend, so I'll be able to add one for it this year.)

In the case of Sakura-con, I included in the notes that their main heading has the incorrect dates, but that their registration page is correct. I'll be sure to include similar info for any other events with the same issue. Otherwise, keeping the date approximate like you said is a good idea

Oh my. Good catch. Yes. It always best to give as much info as possible.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:40 pm
Some conventions have multiple threads that represent different years of the convention. We could try combining those threads into one thread. Each post in the new thread would have it's convention year and who posted it. Then have a second thread for the same convention with the current or upcoming information on the convention. Something to think about.

Something to keep in mind about the convention sub forums. They are for both info for the different cons and stories that members have posted about going to them. Every now and then I remind the Guild Members about that. I hope that more posting happens about conventions and members start talking to each other about them. Interactions use to happen a lot. With convention going on the rise I would like to hear how they go.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:46 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu

I want to mention not to do Anime Oasis. I heard yesterday that, because of the stupid thing they said, that the con is done, no more. I was talking to some of the organizers for the the Horror con (in the same city) and they told me (they're regulars). Nothing official has been posted from my research.

We should wait until a date is posted or a noticed of Anime Oasis not happening again comes up. That being said I've seen other things that AO is done as well.

Edit: Found the official Announcement  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces