Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Ideas to Grow Our Guild! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have some poll plat!
  mmm.....free platinum
  thanks!
View Results

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:25 am
angelmage99

I want to mention not to do Anime Oasis. I heard yesterday that, because of the stupid thing they said, that the con is done, no more. I was talking to some of the organizers for the the Horror con (in the same city) and they told me (they're regulars). Nothing official has been posted from my research.

We should wait until a date is posted or a noticed of Anime Oasis not happening again comes up. That being said I've seen other things that AO is done as well.

Edit: Found the official Announcement

Omg, wow. I had heard people expecting that to happen after how this year went. It definitely seemed like the final straw for a lot of people. Thanks for the heads up!

smithers456

i also considered quoting people from those posts, along with their date of posting and putting it in the updated one so it can still read like the og thread.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:28 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
angelmage99

I want to mention not to do Anime Oasis. I heard yesterday that, because of the stupid thing they said, that the con is done, no more. I was talking to some of the organizers for the the Horror con (in the same city) and they told me (they're regulars). Nothing official has been posted from my research.

We should wait until a date is posted or a noticed of Anime Oasis not happening again comes up. That being said I've seen other things that AO is done as well.

Omg, wow. I had heard people expecting that to happen after how this year went. It definitely seemed like the final straw for a lot of people. Thanks for the heads up!

smithers456

i also considered quoting people from those posts, along with their date of posting and putting it in the updated one so it can still read like the og thread.

A lot of people still went, but I know there was a counter event/picnic at the same time as the con on Saturday. I didn't end up going to the counter event. On top of that it seemed like there was a single person controling the scene instead of a committee. Like Committees are better after you've passed the first few years of being a con.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:39 pm
angelmage99
Ennichi_Jimetsu
angelmage99

It's sad that a long-term convention could be coming an end. One thing for sure is that Covid has changed the landscape for everything. Also, inflation has made prices go up for everything. Biggest part of a convention is the people running it. Perhaps someone, or a group can start the Anime Oasis over again as a smaller convention.

Back in the 90's I helped out at a local convention. I was in a Star Trek Club, and we volunteered to help. One of the big differences in this convention is that it was part of a group of conventions all run by one group called Creation Entertainment.They mostly run Science Fiction, Comic Book, and Fantasy conventions. They have conventions running across the country and other countries. Click the link and check it out. I just did and noted that they are still around in a number of places. I wish they would come back to Michigan. Makes me wonder if there are other large convention groups out there. Creation Entertainment Conventions were not mentioned before due to the Guild being mostly Anime based years ago. Some Comic Cons are mentioned in the Guild but not a lot. Since Cosplay has grown so much, we could start adding other convention types in addition to Anime.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:22 pm
From what I've heard others say, it sounds like a lot of people felt it was more fo a solo show a lot of times. Which is unfortunate. If he felt the need to do everything himself, its probably contributed to why he feels so burnt out now. But also, for large community events it's good to get perspectives of many people, not just to enforce your own.

Here's hoping another will rise in its place though.  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:51 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
From what I've heard others say, it sounds like a lot of people felt it was more fo a solo show a lot of times. Which is unfortunate. If he felt the need to do everything himself, its probably contributed to why he feels so burnt out now. But also, for large community events it's good to get perspectives of many people, not just to enforce your own.

Here's hoping another will rise in its place though.

It is a huge blow. It's the only anime con in the state. The next closest con is in Spokane, WA, Helena, MT, or in Layton, UT (depending on where you live).

Well there was someone trying to crowd fund a ridculous amount of money. They wanted $60,000. I may have shut that down. For a first time con that is not an okay amount of money. $10,000 would have been more reasonable and still be able to do a lot. You don't know how the con will go. They posted it on Facebook and they couldn't answer to me so they took the post down after I stated why I wouldn't.

On the flipside there are two new cons this year. RetroX (toy show, oddly sucessful and coming back next year) and Snake River Horror Con (Happening right before Halloween). The Horror Con is ran by people I know through work, so I'm going to be volunteering for it. They asked for my info when they saw me.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:02 pm
angelmage99
It is a huge blow. It's the only anime con in the state. The next closest con is in Spokane, WA, Helena, MT, or in Layton, UT (depending on where you live).

Well there was someone trying to crowd fund a ridculous amount of money. They wanted $60,000. I may have shut that down. For a first time con that is not an okay amount of money. $10,000 would have been more reasonable and still be able to do a lot. You don't know how the con will go. They posted it on Facebook and they couldn't answer to me so they took the post down after I stated why I wouldn't.

On the flipside there are two new cons this year. RetroX (toy show, oddly sucessful and coming back next year) and Snake River Horror Con (Happening right before Halloween). The Horror Con is ran by people I know through work, so I'm going to be volunteering for it. They asked for my info when they saw me.

WOW! That is far too much for a baby con imo.. I'm not sure if even Crunchyroll's convention kicked off with 60k. And they've been fairly big for a relatively new con.

I'm glad there's at least those two new ones! Who knows, maybe they'll take off pretty quick too  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:40 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
angelmage99

WOW! That is far too much for a baby con imo.. I'm not sure if even Crunchyroll's convention kicked off with 60k. And they've been fairly big for a relatively new con.

I'm glad there's at least those two new ones! Who knows, maybe they'll take off pretty quick too

Well the new ones are starting off right. Snake River Horror Con is the spawn of Idaho State Horror Con (in Boise) and RetroX is in a bigger and better location for year 2.

There is also some other possible cons that may pop up including a Gaming Con. I have a former Co-worker who is interested in possibily starting one. We've talked about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:44 pm
In the past, does anyone know if we had a thread to advertise in the Guild section of the gaia forums?  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:27 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
In the past, does anyone know if we had a thread to advertise in the Guild section of the gaia forums?

We don't have any official Gaia threads in the Forum and Chat areas for our Guild. I honestly don't know much about them. I generally just keep to our threads and our two Affiliated Guilds. If you have any ideas about expanding to those areas let me know.

Yes we use to have two threads in the Guild for advertising.

1.Social Media Cosplay Accounts - Members can post the links to their Anime and Cosplay websites and accounts on it. I. t took a while to find it. I moved the thread to the Getting to know you Sub Forum. I figured that was a good place for the thread for now. Check it out.

2. Convention, Guild, & Website Advertising - You can post in this thread to either promote a convention or even advertise it. You can do this in the Regional Convention Sub Forums as well. This thread also gives you the opportunity to promote multiple Cons or special causes that a particular con is promoting. I could not find this thread. It was supposed to be in the Main Forum.

As for a general advertising thread I could set one up but it would be a case by case permission to post in it.

We could create a new Convention, Guild & Website Advertising thread. Again. Something to think about  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:53 am
smithers456

We don't have any official Gaia threads in the Forum and Chat areas for our Guild. I honestly don't know much about them. I generally just keep to our threads and our two Affiliated Guilds. If you have any ideas about expanding to those areas let me know.

Yes we use to have two threads in the Guild for advertising.

1.Social Media Cosplay Accounts - Members can post the links to their Anime and Cosplay websites and accounts on it. I. t took a while to find it. I moved the thread to the Getting to know you Sub Forum. I figured that was a good place for the thread for now. Check it out.

2. Convention, Guild, & Website Advertising - You can post in this thread to either promote a convention or even advertise it. You can do this in the Regional Convention Sub Forums as well. This thread also gives you the opportunity to promote multiple Cons or special causes that a particular con is promoting. I could not find this thread. It was supposed to be in the Main Forum.

As for a general advertising thread I could set one up but it would be a case by case permission to post in it.

We could create a new Convention, Guild & Website Advertising thread. Again. Something to think about

I would have to think of how I want to format my post, but I was thinking of creating a thread for us in the Gaia Guild Network. It looks like a lot of other guild advertise there to try and get attention of new members or talk with other guilds. I still need to comb through more threads for ideas  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:17 am
Quick and simple, and later than I was hoping to get to it, but I made us a small contest ad in this forum:

https://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-guilds-network/anime-conventions-the-global-connection-halloween-contest/t.113290587_1/#2  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff