Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Paneling at cons

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

have you ever paneled at a convention before?
  yeah !
  nope! but i want to
View Results

SweatshirtNinja27

Lonely Phantom

17,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:09 pm
hello ! i was wondering if anyone here has any advice for paneling during conventions.

i really want to host a panel on 2.5d stage productions, but i'm always afraid of submitting the idea because i don't know how many people would be interested.(and then of course, the second part is actually putting the panel together haha ^^; )

any advice would be helpful !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:52 am
I was only a panel member a few times.. I was never the main person putting it together, but what i noticed from watching my friends is that creating an outline for yourself with the main points you want to hit is a good idea. That way you don't lose track of the topics you want to bring up. If you're worried about running out of topics before your time slot is over, you can open up a questions/comments section for attendees or plan something like mini trivia games.

Definitely do your best to speak clearly into the mic. There's been some panels I've gone to where it was PACKED! So I was stuck in the far back and it was so hard to hear the panelists speaking even though I really wanted to hear what they have to say.

And lastly, i'd say submit your idea anyway!! Worst case scenario, it might get denied for your first attempt, but if that happens, you can just try to ask if there's anything you could add or improve to make it more likely to be approved the next time  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:01 am
I have been the lead on panels, but all of my panels were educational and not group events like character panels. So a lot of my questions have to do with what you're thinking about doing? From what I understand is that it's a musical type event.

We're totally up for helping you flesh out your idea if you need some help.

As far as gathering people. Start with your friends who are into it and any theater kids you know. Then expanding out to local theaters and school theater departments. You'll find that they'll be plenty of people who may not know the media, but are willing to jump in if the costume is provided. Also find a regional group online. You'll probably find more that way too and they may already have a costume or willing to get one together for it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:58 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
ahh thank you for responding and your feedback !

yes! the speaking into the mic is so important! i've always found it frustrating when i am unable to hear the panelist or someone tries to just shout over the crowd.

and when it comes to running out of time, i like the idea of adding a Q/A or free share section. I'm just want to be careful about coming off as an expert when i'm really just an enthusiast. For the panel I'm thinking about submitting, i don't know if minigames would be the best option - but if I can figure something out, maybe i can do something like a "mini stage play". perhaps find scenes from popular anime and grab some volunteers to act it out. it'd be a cool way for people to engage people hehe. I would need to flesh that idea out though.

i really like the idea of asking for feedback whether or not it gets accepted! it's really interesting to see how different cons work. my local con does a lot more cultural content whereas i've been to other cons which are strictly anime focused, and even one where they had more of a drag focus than anything animanga related. all are fun! but there's always a bit of tailoring to the audience haha!

i'm looking at the panel application from and one thing that I struggle with is gauging how many people would be interested in the topic. i don't see very many people talk about it, but perhaps i need to expand my circles out and find more stage play enthusiasts.

I actually had a chance to chat with a former chair of the convention - and he mentioned it would cover a niche he's never seen before. so that would be neat!

I might lowball the expected attendees, and if a lot of people are interested, i'll know for the future ~~

SweatshirtNinja27

Lonely Phantom

17,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200

SweatshirtNinja27

Lonely Phantom

17,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:02 pm
angelmage99
thank you so much for your feedback and response !! i really appreciate it !

as far as a friend group, embarrassingly, i don't really have anyone else who is into the topic / planning to go to these cons with me. and currently i want to run this at a smaller con (which is unfortunately, not my local one) so i don't have many connections to local theater groups - my hope is that i would be able to find more people interested after doing the panel (but maybe i'm being too hopeful with that.)

i am notoriously bad at reaching out to groups, but i really like the idea! i will build up my confidence and see if there's people i can reach out to ! (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑

Regarding the content -
for the one that I'm currently thinking of it would lean more towards education.

In short, I want to bring to these 2.5d productions because there's so much that can be explored with them.
1) they aren't anime which can make use of animation talent especially for more fantastical shows,
2) they aren't movies which are specifically catered to the big screen.

as a result everything you are seeing is live. practiced, but live. there's so much to talk about
- set design
- choreography
- use of puppetry
- screen to stage interpretation.

for me, i did a bit of theater when i was in high school (but i was only ever in the ensemble) so it's fun to see what they decide to do. But even more, i love seeing how they interpret some of my favorite stories. taking something popular like demon slayer and giving people even more content to watch. and while most of it isn't subtitled, most people come into the stage plays as fans of the series, many of the stories are things they've already seen but now it's different. (but there are some series like Sailor Moon, Haikyuu, Fate that might put in original content - which i know can be a deal breaker)

and then there are seiyuu fans. people who follow certain voice actors. some of them play the character from the anime / game on stage too! Ryo Kitamura is a good example of that where they actually focus more on theater, but voices Arashi Narukami in enstars. So he plays both her character in the game and on stage ! which is really cool. but i also find that you can find favorite stage actors too ! and for me, that means more support of the arts.

unfortunately, a lot of this means it's not typically available over seas. Crunchyroll has the Persona 5 and Fate Stage Plays. And I know My Neighbor Totoro was recently travelling around Europe (though I don't know how that worked as I've only been able to see trailers). They've also had Spirited Away the stage play in theaters as part of Ghibli fest, and Fruits Basket recently streamed their stage play globally, but is no longer accessible. all this to say, i'm also wary about getting people hyped up for them and immediately turning around and saying, "they are are out there! but it's like a scavenger hunt to find what you're looking for!"

Sorry I got really carried away, but I would really appreciate yours, or anyone's thoughts on this topic. Even if it's just questions that you can anticipate other's having. Or ideas of what I can include smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:35 pm
SweatshirtNinja27

From what you've told me, it sounds like working with a school in the beginning may help you or at least talking to someone. The script is always the first thing needed. Even if it evolves later. Maybe seeing if someone offers a script writing class at a local collage or university and asking them about online resources to get started would be the best chance.

As for things disappearing or just remain hidden. Right now it is. Until you take action and write down, no one else can know about it. Yes it may be bogged down one day, but a lot of the work I do it also hidden too. I just take oppertunies when someone needs up help to pass along my tutorial link. Once you get it going, you can post it on different threads and platforms to avertise it. Every anniversery you can can rename your work in pride. Someone is going to love it and people will celebrate with you, it never really disappears.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

SweatshirtNinja27

Lonely Phantom

17,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:11 pm
angelmage99

sorry - i guess, i'm not really looking for how to write stage plays. rather, my goal is to share why people should consider watching them in the first place.
i guess, i'm a little confused with the suggestion to start with a script writing class. can you explain a little bit more?
i don't mean to be rude, i'm just confused! sorry!

but yes! building things out is always really important. i'm slowly trying to build up a resource thread. thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:22 pm
SweatshirtNinja27

Oh. I'm sorry. I was the one who got confused. my interpertation was that you wanted to do a panel in a musical form. Like you were doing one of those character panels, but with music. My bad.

Switch Gear Time.

Okay let me phase the new knowledge this way. Why do you feel people should watch them? It'll help with thought organization.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:41 pm
SweatshirtNinja27

my goal is to share why people should consider watching them in the first place.

Here's the perfect thesis for your panel! haha.

If you're on any social media, you could always follow certain tags to see if you can find people going to the same con that could be interested in either attending or spreading the word. If your panel gets approved, DEFINITELY spread the word everywhere! That way, even people who may not know about it may come out of curiosity and hopefully learn something new. You can check the home site of your con too and if they have forums there, start to see if anyone's already a fan of 2.5d, or let people know to check out your panel if they're curious.

Every con is different, but if yours provides a screen for you to use, you can play some of your favorite short clips and explain why you love certain parts. Or play different roles a single actor has done to showcase their range.

You have a great point in how animated/big screen cinema/live performances all have their own charm and ways of story telling. The movie and stage versions of Into The Woods may have the same soundtrack, but they are still VERY different! (RIP to all the stage Milky Whites lol.) If you can clip parts of the stage plays that are similar to scenes in anime, that could be a fun comparison too!

Idk what con you're going to, but I hope your panel ends up a glowing success!! I would totally attend! I love stage plays, but 99% of the time have run into the same problem of incomplete videos, no subs, or both lol. I would love if one day they get more popular globally and hopefully gain more support for either fansubs or (even better) official subs.

I also want to add that if you have a lower attendee count than you hoped for, don't be disheartened! It can open the opportunity to interact more closely with your audience and have a more in-depth conversation about existing stage plays, and potential ones you or they might like to see  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games