Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Kitchens
Student Kitchen Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:24 pm
The Student Kitchen

User Image

The student kitchen is attached to the side of the Muggle Studies Classroom. It is open at all times for students or staff to cook their own meals, snacks, or otherwise. The only time it is not open to students or staff is during the Muggle Studies classes that may need the kitchen (at which case a sign will be placed on the door)

The room is also where the Culinary Club hosts their weekly meetups.

Please make sure you clean up any messes before leaving, and report any damages or issues to a professor as soon as possible.

Happy Cooking!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:50 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx Wʜᴇʀᴇ Aᴍ I? Student Kitchen
xxx Wʜᴏ Is Wɪᴛʜ Mᴇ? Mercifully Alone
xxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Gᴏɪɴɢ Oɴ? Trying to make dinner
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? I should've brought the whole book

Ella had fled the cooking club, where she was happy no one had chased after her. She hid in the library, tucked in a tiny corner surrounded by books like a little shelter. Here, no one could bother her. They most likely wouldn't be able to find her, and she was happy about that. She remained there for a few hours, reading in the near-dark of her shelter. After a bit, one of the cook books in hand made her empty belly rumble softly. She was used to long stretches without food, but at the same time, she remembered the sign on the student kitchen saying it was open to anyone. Maybe this long after the club ended, the kitchen would be empty. And if not, well, she could always flee and wait for dinner.

Ella quickly and quietly put away the books, first writing down the recipe so she wouldn't have to speak with the chatty librarian. Once done, she slipped out the door and walked along the shadowy sides of the walls until she'd made it back to the kitchen. Carefully, she looked around, finding it blissfully, mercifully empty. She slid into the room, quietly closing the heavy door behind her. It was always open, but hopefully with it closed she'd get some privacy for at least a few minutes. Setting the recipe down on the counter, Ella started working to find the ingredients. Mushrooms, angel hair pasta, butter and oil... The familiar recipe made her hungry, and though she didn't like Romania, she just wanted the comfort of their usually hot dishes. Of course, this would likely be the only time she'd try it without needing to reheat the food...

'Mash the garlic cloves... With what? A hammer?'

She looked around her, trying to find the right tool for the job. Part of her wondered if the actual cookbook didn't provide more instructions. But she didn't want to leave now. Maybe she could try using the back of a spoon? Ella vaguely remembered her mom doing similar to mash bananas for bread.... Ella grabbed a small spoon, carefully trying to mash the cloves on a little saucer. Too bad she didn't already know how to cook!

{{Wearing :: Cute Clothes}}
          {{Ella's Recipe for Mushroom Pasta}}
          Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

Aɴᴅ ɴᴏᴡ ʏᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ɢʀᴏᴡɴ ᴜᴘ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜɪs ɴᴏᴛɪᴏɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙʟᴀᴍᴇ
          Aɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ sᴇᴇᴍ sᴏ sᴛʀᴏɴɢ sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs, ʙᴜᴛ I ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ sᴛɪʟʟ ғᴇᴇʟ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ
          As ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ɢɪʀʟ ᴡʜᴏ sʜɪɴᴇᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ʜɪs ʟᴀᴢʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴘᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ʜᴇʟʟ
          I ᴡɪsʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ, sᴛɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ɪᴍᴘʀᴇss ʜɪᴍ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴇ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟɪsᴛᴇɴ
          Oʜ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴀᴅ ᴡʜᴇɴ ʜᴇ ᴄʀᴜsʜᴇᴅ ᴀʟʟ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍs?
          Oʜ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ɪɴsɪᴅᴇ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴅʏɪɴɢ ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴᴛ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ
          Hᴇ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴏ ᴄᴏʟᴅ ᴡʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʜɪs ᴅᴀᴜɢʜᴛᴇʀ
          Bᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴠᴇɪɴs ᴀs ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ʜɪs ɴᴀᴍᴇ ᴛᴜʀɴs ᴛʜɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ
          Yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ ᴀɴᴅ I ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ's ɴᴏᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴜʟᴛ. Iᴛ ᴡᴀs ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴜʟᴛ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:59 pm
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish
RavenclawFifth YearFifteen Years OldSingleRavenclaw PrefectQuidditch Vice-CaptainCulinary Club Captain

Today was a qualified success so far as Linsey was concerned. This year’s edition of the Culinary Club was off and running, and all the food she’d made came out as she’d hoped. There was a mix of old friends and a few new friends who’d showed up, and there was even Sebastian from the Daily Dragon there to take pictures of everything. It was ‘qualified’, because in all of the excitement, Llewella disappeared, and seemingly nobody noticed until it was well past too late to try to do anything about it. ‘Good thing I play Beater, and not a Seeker,’ she thought. ‘I didn’t even know she was gone. As Captain, I should have done a better job of making her feel welcome.’

After the club stuff was over, she’d put whatever leftovers out for any who wanted it, and cleaned up the area, Linsey spent the rest of her day digging into her studies. As it got later, she decided to just n** down to the Student Kitchen and whip something up for a meal, assuming none of the leftovers remained, rather than go all the way down to the Great Hall, so she could continue studying, and maybe work on a piece for Art Club. At this point, she’d changed out of the nice clothes from Club, and was wearing one of her handmade long skirts, a warm oversized Ravenclaw sweatshirt, and her Ugg slippers, while her nearly waist-length silvery-white hair was worn loose, washing over her shoulders like an azure waterfall.

She walked into the kitchen just as she heard, “ 'Mash the garlic cloves... With what? A hammer?' ” It was then she saw Llewella standing at a counter, apparently attempting to crush garlic with a spoon in the same way one might with an overripe banana. Seeing that sent a kick of guilt through her like a Bludger to the gut. The Fifth Year breathed a silent thank you, and told herself, ‘I will put this to right.’ Linsey walked over in the direction of the First Year, and with a wistful smile and a soft voice, she said, “Hi, Llewella. Would you like some help?”

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image
                  "All my life I never really knew me till today
                  Now I know why, I'm just another step along the way

I lie awake for hours, I'm just waiting for the sun
                  When the journey we are making has begun
                  Don't deny the feeling that is stealing through your heart
                  Every happy ending needs to have a start

All my life I never really knew me till today
                  Now I know why, I'm just another step along the way "

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:54 am
User ImageUser Image
xxx Wʜᴏ Is Wɪᴛʜ Mᴇ? Linsey
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? What is she gonna do?!?!

Ella was struggling to figure out the correct way to mash this silly clove. It was then that she had to wonder a new question. What the heck was a clove? She looked at the little wedge, then glanced over at the full thing. Was she supposed to mash all six wedges... times two?? Or just two little wedges? Darn it. She really should've grabbed that book. She clucked her tongue a few times, brows furrowed in concentration. Suddenly, a noise behind her caused Ella to turn sharply, shaking hands brandishing the table spoon as her only means of survival. Wide brown eyes looked at the person inside, taking a second to recognize the girl from Cooking Club earlier.

"O-oh, ma'am... I-I'm sorry. I was just..."

A quiver ran through her, the girl already strategizing how to run away. Though... something was holding her back. Was it hunger? The sheer exhaustion from trying to avoid the Great Hall... Was it that this girl had been the first to introduce herself by saying Ella's name? How did she even know her name? It's not like they'd ever spoken before... A small hand reached up to tug at a stray lock of hair as the deep brown eyes watched the silvery-haired girl. What was she going to do? Was she going to berate Ella for leaving the club with nary a word? Was she going to start a million questions to try and figure out every detail of Ella's weird and somewhat tragic life? Ella was so afraid for the worst options to come.

Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

As ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ɢɪʀʟ ᴡʜᴏ sʜɪɴᴇᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ, ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ʜɪs ʟᴀᴢʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴘᴜᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ʜᴇʟʟ
          I ᴡɪsʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ, sᴛɪʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ɪᴍᴘʀᴇss ʜɪᴍ ʙᴜᴛ ʜᴇ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴡɪʟʟ ʟɪsᴛᴇɴ
          Yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ᴀɴɢᴇʟ ᴀɴᴅ I ᴘʀᴏᴍɪsᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ's ɴᴏᴛ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴜʟᴛ. Iᴛ ᴡᴀs ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ғᴀᴜʟᴛ

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:57 am
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish
RavenclawFifth YearFifteen Years OldSingleRavenclaw PrefectQuidditch Vice-CaptainCulinary Club Captain

Linsey couldn’t help but giggle softly. ‘I just got ‘ma’am-ed’,’ she thought. It was one thing for Declan to call her ‘Ms. Linsey’, she thought it was sweet, and she got called that a lot back home, particularly by the boys at church, but she didn’t see herself as being old enough or important enough to be a ‘ma’am’. “Please, Linsey is fine enough,” she said, as she had a bemused look in her eyes. “Save ‘ma’am’ for the professors, they’ve earned it; I’m just a student, like you...And, if anyone is owed an apology, it’s you. I should have been a more welcoming and watchful hostess, and I wasn’t, and for that, I’m sorry. The first meeting of the school year is always a bit of a raucous affair, and may be a wee bit daunting for someone just walking in.”

Eyeing the tablespoon that the little First Year was using to maybe hold her at bay, like she was warding off a marauding vampire, and the way her small hands were shaking, Linsey felt sick in her heart. ‘Fer Heaven’s sake, the poor little thing is scared of me. What the heck….’ she said gently, “And, please, lass, relax; I dinnae bite.”

As she was rooting about it in a drawer, Linsey added in a quiet tone, “Oh, and I shouldn’t mind Callum, were I you. He’s a wee bit rough ‘round the edges, I’ll grant ye, but he’s actually a good sort…Ah, here’s what the doctor ordered….” She fished a garlic press from the depths of a drawer, and started showing Llewella how to use it, by loading a single clove into it. “Sooo, what’re we makin’ here?”

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:22 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? What is she gonna do?!?!

Ella looked a little surprised when the blonde set up a laugh. Had she said something odd? Apparently it was over the formality of "ma'am". Okay, just Linsey then. She took the worry and pinned it upon herself, saying it was Ella that deserved the apology, and that Linsey hadn't done her job. A look of shame and worry fell over the first year. "No, ma... Linsey. You were excellent, it was just... busy." Her soft voice spoke as she shuffled a bit. She didn't know how to explain how... easily overwhelmed she always was. And though everyone (mostly) had been quite nice, they all turned attention to her at the same time and she got nervous... and then, well...

With the silvered spoon still tight in her grip, Linsey seemed to wonder what was the matter. She told Ella to relax, and the girl shifted a bit, still wary about trusting this person. Linsey seemed nice, but so had people at the girls-only school her parents had first sent her to. Of course, several of the elder had been friends with her brothers through the year, since their family was quite wealthy and well known. With a small exhale, nearly so soft it wouldn't be heard, though to her sounded like an indignant huff, Ella gently set the spoon back in place, taking an extra second to make sure it was perfectly parallel to the others in place.

Once done, dark eyes looked back to the other, who was now looking in a drawer. Ella tilted her head a bit, messy hair spilling to the side like a muddied river. The older girl spoke again, though this time softer. Don't mind Callum, he was just rough upfront... but actually nice. "N-no, it's just... we'd met before..." Hopefully that was enough of an explanation for the elder girl. She stepped back with a weird device, and Ella worried a moment what it was. Linsey took the garlic clove in hand, and used the device to make the mashed garlic with ease. Oh! That would be way faster than using a spoon...

Linsey asked what Ella was making, and the brunette handed over the handwritten recipe, all done in tiny, yet neat script. "Paste cremoase cu ciuperci." Her soft voice spoke, an unusually sharp edge to the tone as she switched over to the Romanian her Father required her to use (even before she'd ever heard the words). "It's a mushroom pasta, basically. From...home...?" She hesitated over words, still remembering Wales as home with her mama, before being sent to the harsh land with her father. but she didn't want to explain this to the girl... not yet, perhaps not ever.

User Image

Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:09 am
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

I appreciate you saying that,” Linsey said, her tones almost as soft as Ella’s own, “and it was pretty busy today. I can assure you, its not usually so crazy during club meetings, but it is a bunch of fun once we get into doing things. Today was just a celebration since it was the first meeting back from summer holiday, and it was nice the Daily Dragon sent round somebody to take pictures. I hope they turn out; I want to send a copy of the paper home to my family.” Just talking about how things went otherwise was enough to buoy Linsey’s spirits. “But, really, please, really do give the club another chance. It won’t be near so…well, overwhelming, I guess.”

Linsey was glad to see Ella set the spoon down, not that she had felt particularly threatened, but that she’d felt so badly that Ella was concerned she was a danger. Of course, she could be worried a certain wolfhound might be waiting in the wings. He wasn’t, Blannat was stretched out on the floor in front of the hearth in the Common Room, waiting for Linsey to return. She heard Ella’s account of an earlier encounter with Callum, and she got the impression that they’d somehow gotten off on the wrong foot with each other. “Sounds like a simple misunderstanding, they happen,” was Linsey’s comment, not wanting to pry or press things, especially if it really wasn’t anything serious.

Taking a look at the handwritten card, Linsey ooohed appreciatively. “That does sound good for supper. You know, I don’t think we’ve ever done a Romania themed club meeting before. We should do that soon. Would you appreciate that, Llewella? Tell you what, if you wouldn’t mind doubling up on the noodles, I’ll make some chicken with the same sauce recipe to go with, salad, and there should still be some leftover Focaccia bread from the meeting, that way we both can have a nice supper. I can help you if you get stuck, of course. Does that sound good to you?”

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:20 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? I like this garlic masher thing...

The faintest hint of a smile touched Ella's lips, though the motion didn't quite touch her eyes. Linsey continued, saying that the morning had been busier than usual, and that normally it wasn't quite so hectic. Ella simply nodded once, not sure how to react. If normal was quite a bit more calm, perhaps she should revisit the idea of return. "It wasn't just... that." Her voice was soft, not wanting to delve into the traumas of her past. Linsey wouldn't want to know, she wouldn't care about Ella's life. After all, her family always told her she wouldn't ever matter.

Ella gave a vague notion of what had happened with Callum originally, thinking Linsey might already suspect that Ella was a little scared of the Slytherin. He had been so terribly insistent that he owed her some big grand gesture, but she really just wanted some peace. Admittedly, from what she remembered, she'd liked sweets as a child, but in Romania, she was very seldom able to eat anything sweet at all. A small sigh escaped her as dark eyes sank to the ground. She felt eternally ostracized, strange and alien from the others around her.

When asked about the recipe, Ella handed over her copy, and Linsey seemed intrigued. Apparently they'd never done a Romanian themed meeting at the culinary club, and why would they? It wasn't particularly popular food. She asked if Ella would appreciate the Romanian food, and a small frown settled in. "I'm not... originally from Romania. But... I've lived there a while." That was informative without being too intuitive. Plus, if Linsey made a special theme night just for her, she figured Ella would be the focus of attention... or at least required to bring food she'd never actually learned to prepare. Linsey's next idea was that if Ella could double the recipe, she'd prepare some chicken to add.

Linsey wanted to do a pretty big dinner, at least for the brunette's standards. But bread and pasta did sound really good. "I can do that, yes. I... would double everything.... right?" She looked over at Linsey, feeling a bit silly for her question. Grabbing out the mostly-empty pen from her pocket, Ella carefully wrote down the doubled numbers for everything, then went to grab more of the items she'd already collected. Once everything else was gathered, Ella lifted the garlic press that Linsey had used, carefully mashing three other cloves into a small bowl. She got a big measuring cup, carefully putting six liters of water in the biggest pot she could find. "That seems like an awful lot..."

Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:35 pm
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

Linsey listened to the younger girl, and she heard her say ‘it wasn’t just that, and she raised an eyebrow, and asked, “Oh? Please, do tell, if you feel comfortable enough.” Being new to the whole business of running club, she knew she needed to be able to listen to her membership, and make changes if it was to help make things fun for everybody else. As they discussed the recipe, Ella made mention that she wasn’t actually from Romania, at least not originally, and commented, “Well, that’s interesting. Where are you from, Llewella? I’m from Waterford County, Ireland. We live not too far from the Irish Sea.”

As the girls started getting into making dinner, Linsey answered Ella’s question with, “Yes, double everything, though not the water; no more than four liters on that, otherwise we won’t have dinner until nearly curfew, it’ll take so long for that much water to boil.” Linsey was thinking about how she wanted to prepare the meat, since she was coming up with this on the fly, and checked to be sure nobody else was nearby, before saying, “Okay, I need… you and you, and you….”

Gesturing with a finger and breathing the words of an incantation, a cast-iron skillet was lifted from its resting place on a rack, along with a mixing bowl and a cutting board, and they sailed effortlessly across the room. The Fifth Year saw this as a practical exercise for Wandless class, though she couldn’t help humming along the melody of Paul Dukas’ ‘L’Apprente Sorcier’ as she worked, as a bit of whimsey caught her. The skillet settled upon the stove atop a burner, while the cutting board and bowl landed safely on the counter. Cocking her head to one side, Linsey worked out her plan while studying Ella’s recipe card, so she could make the sauce correctly, she added, “Hmmm, better make that three bowls, and then ingredients….”

Linsey called two smaller mixing bowls over to her, and then gestured for various ingredients and spices to travel over to where she and Ella were working. Far from showing off, she was doing this in a matter-of-fact manner while she had the space and opportunity to do so, where some student wasn’t going to walk blindly into her exercise. In one bowl she was assembling the sauce, while the breading was in another, while the chicken went into another. While it was practice, she was having a bit of fun, and she smiled as she worked. “You know, I was thinking about finishing this with a nice dessert. Nothing fancy or too heavy; we’re having pasta and bread, that’s starch enough already, but sweet all the same. Berries and cream sound good to you?”

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:07 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? And a dessert too??

Linsey asked Ella to clarify, and the brunette wished for a moment she'd never spoken. Her gaze fell to the stone floor as her brain tried to come up with something to add. "I just... don't have much... experience with people." Maybe that would work. She really didn't think anyone would believe her about her brothers, and if they did, they probably wouldn't care. The teacher at her first ever boarding school told her she was lying, then called her dad... who was understandably furious. She'd gotten a major punishment that day, so she'd never repeated it.

"I'm originally from Wales, but I don't remember which part. I was four when I moved..." Dark eyes looked over at the blonde, who seemed to be a caring person, if nothing else. It was still a long road before any sort of trust could build on Ella's part... but maybe? Ella busied herself in making food, looking a little confused (and a bit embarrassed) when told that her ratio of water was incorrect. Apparently the amount of boiling water was negotiable, depending. She was pretty sure she remembered something about needing only enough to cover the pasta, but it had been her mumma who told her that more than half her life ago.

Ella put the water on the fob to boil, then looked over at Linsey as she was summoning items with only her hands. That must be the wandless magic she'd read about. Chestnut eyes were full of fascination as the first year watched a skillet, bowls, and a board fly over. Curiosity showed on every facet of her expression as the older girl worked. This was quite interesting, and perhaps it'd be something of a learning experience. It seemed like Linsey was just thinking this stuff up, rather than using a recipe like Ella. "How... how are you doing that?" She asked, almost unconsciously. Everything was floating over in neat precision, and Linsey was working with it in ease.

The first year carefully added her pasta to the pot of now-bubbling water, before looking back over when a question was asked. Linsey was planning a dessert too? That seemed like a lot, but Ella didn't want to upset the older girl. Then again, she also didn't want to admit that she was pretty sure she hadn't eaten berries since she was a toddler. Maybe it would be nice? "I-I think it sounds nice?" Her words were timid, almost like she didn't believe them... but hopefully Linsey did.

Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:10 am
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

I can understand that,” said Linsey, after listening to Ella’s seemingly hesitant response. She was given to understand many of the incoming students at Hogwarts were homeschooled for the entirety of their early education, and so they were only really used to being around family and a tutor. She went to the same Catholic primary school her kinsfolk had since, like, ever, until her inadvertent displays of magic made her continued attendance more problematic than practical. She still kept touch with her friends from those days, many of whom she’d see at church over the holidays. “Coming to this school can be a bit of…an adjustment for a lot of incoming students. Takes a while getting used to being around so many folk all the time.”

Ella mentioned being from Wales originally before moving to Romania when she was just four years old. “Is there a story to go with that? What’s it like there?” Linsey asked curiously. She’d never been to Romania, the closest she’d ever been to that part of the Continent was Northern Italy and the Cinqua Terre region, so she was genuinely interested.

Linsey smiled when Ella asked how she was doing things. “If you mean the spells, that’s Wandless magic. Its an elective class starting in Third Year, and its so cool once you get the hang of doing things with the technique. I’m just getting in a bit of practice; I’ve got OWLs to take at the end of the school year.” As she said this, she deftly caught the egg she’d wanted in midair with one hand, before cracking it open on the side of the mixing bowl and emptying the contents into the bowl. “As for the meat: the sauce I’m making as per the recipe, since I’ve never made it before, the breading I’m creating from scratch with panko and seasonings, while the chicken breast will be coated with a little bit of EVOO and butter, so it retains juice and tenderness, while providing a bit of crunch, before getting covered in the breading and then cooked in the skillet which was coated with more EVOO.”

She described how the breading was being made as she prepared it, though instead of grams and milligrams, she used pinches and dashes to describe the proportions. Once this was done, she coated the two small chicken breasts she’d summoned for the two of them, and then placed them in the cast-iron skillet to cook. As the chicken was cooking, Linsey gestured, breathed incantations and the makings of dessert, along with another mixing bowl, started arriving and settling neatly down upon the counter in front of her. She began washing the fruit off in the sink, before pouring a measure of blueberries, blackberries and red raspberries into the bowl.

To Linsey’s ears, Ella seemed unsure about the choice of dessert, she smiled and said softly, “One thing Grammy Grey taught me was that dessert doesn’t need to be cookies, sweets and candy and stuff like that. Some fruit and a bit of whipped cream is plenty good enough. Here, try some...” Linsey held out the bowl of mixed berries for Ella to sample.

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:31 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? And a dessert too??

Ella wasn't sure why Linsey seemed so interested in talking. Part of her head said that perhaps the older girl was friends with one of her brothers. After all, she was the same age as Radovan & Serghei. It seemed highly unlikely, but she'd seen weirder. An Irish girl and an Romanian boy being friends? It was even possible Linsey's family was somehow intermingled in the Antonov life. Linsey said the school was an adjustment for a lot of the kids, and Ella scoffed slightly, dropping her gaze to the floor. "Would you believe I was actually quite excited to come along?"

After explaining her Welsh origins, Linsey asked why and what the area was like. "Romania? She is... harsh. Our home is in the mountains, so the winter snow can grow tall enough to bury a... well... it grows tall." Linsey didn't need that story, not now. "But um... I moved to live with family, we'll say." Another not-quite-an-answer answer, but hopefully enough. It's not like Linsey could just know anything of Ella's parentage, or the bizarre circumstance that led to her creation. Heck, Ella only knew about it because she'd been hiding up in the rafters to avoid her brothers when she overheard Father and Ivona talk about requesting another surrogate for more sons.... but with much harsher rules, of course, since they didn't want another Ella.

A sigh escaped as the brunette tried to return her thoughts to the dinner they were cooking. Linsey explained all about the Wandless magic elective class and what she was doing food wise, while Ella carefully worked on slicing mushrooms in a little pile. They were weighed to precisely 1 kg, then set aside as she worked on frying up the mashed garlic and butter. As Linsey spoke about olive oils, Ella hesitated to take the bottle for her own cooking, but knew hers was needed. With a look of fright, Ella grabbed the bottle just long enough to measure 2 tablespoons, before the bottle was very carefully put back exactly where it had been borrowed from.

Even after it was returned, carnelian eyes watched the older girl, expecting to be hit, or worse, for daring interrupt. As the older girl moved, Ella seemed to be extra jumpy, but tried to busy herself in frying the mushrooms before adding the oil and covering the pot. She even nervously took a few small steps back. Enough to be out of reach, but not quite enough to be noticeable by someone not paying enough attention. When Linsey offered a bowl of berries to eat, Ella hesitantly reached out to take a berry to nibble on. It was weird to have someone care her opinions, and Ella was honestly waiting for the shoe to drop. "It's lovely, thank you."

Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:55 pm
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

Actually, I do believe it, because I was so excited myself. When I finally got my letter, I wanted to leave right then and there. I’d heard stories all my life about Hogwarts from my aunts and uncles and Mom, and I had my chance to go too. I listened to Professor Hawthorne give a talk at the big festival in Diagon Alley that year, and right then, I just knew I needed to take her Art class when I got here.” Linsey leaned in close to Llewella, and said in a conspiratorial tone, “I even sneaked into her class when I was a First Year, just so I could be part of it.” Linsey giggled, then added, as she got back to paying attention to her work, “Got caught, of course; like I was really trying all that hard to be sneaky, and, thankfully, the professor was understanding, so I really didn’t get into any trouble for it. All in all, I’m glad I came here.”

Linsey shivered at the description of how the snows could bury---well, Ella didn’t exactly elaborate, but she got the point of it anyway. “I’m glad it doesn’t snow like that here, or back home. Mind you, we get some impressive storms, but not like you’re describing. It’s so pretty when it snows around Waterford, especially by the sea.” She noted how her new friend was being rather reticent about the circumstances of her current home, and wondered idly what might be going on there. She decided not to pry, as it would be rather rude, and Llewella was already pretty jumpy.

She paused to watch how the little brunette did her work, noting how she paid close attention to her measures, as though she were preparing a potion, rather than a meal. Linsey noted how she put the bottle of oil in exactly the spot it had been put in previously, and that she backed away and was watching her. With a few softly spoken spells and gestures, mixing bowls she no longer needed were whisked off to a nearby sink, which was now filling with hot water and suds. She gave the younger girl a gentle smile, and she said in a soft tone, “Llewella, please, relax. I don’t know what you’re so worried about, but I can assure you I’m mostly harmless.”

After Llewella took only a single berry from the bowl, Linsey partitioned the mixture into two small dessert bowls, and added a generous tot of whipped cream before setting them aside. She then summoning the materials for salad, and two salad bowls. The berry bowl she set down where both of the could snack on what remained. In a cheerful tone, Linsey indicated the bowl, and said, “Take as much as you like, please. Part of the fun of cooking is trying stuff while you’re making it.”

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:08 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? I'm gonna be so full...

Ella grinned a faint grin when Linsey concurred that Hogwarts had been exciting to her as well. At least it wasn't just Ella... Then again, as the older girl continued to explain her excitement was more of true eagerness, not just a hope to flee a terrible life. She even said she'd sneaked into the art class when she was a first year, and spoke it like it was a secret. She said she'd been caught, but hadn't exactly been hiding. "The secret is to stay to the shadows, then make yourself small..." She offered, looking over at the blonde curiously. "But you shouldn't hide..." Her words were calm here, the younger girl feeling a bit concerned over this new... friend?

Their conversation shifted to snow, and Linsey said she was glad it wasn't enough to bury things like home. Apparently they got storms, but nothing so insane as the mountains. Apparently it was even quite beautiful by the sea. "Snow by the sea? That sounds magical. I've only seen snow in the mountains, and it's too heavy to be lovely..." Plus she often had to "enjoy" the snowfall from the rafters in her attic room... or from outside somewhere. Stupid boys making her life difficult. Perhaps someday she could see the snowfall by the sea, but for now, it'd likely be here alone.

Ella drifted back into focus, trying to make their dinner a perfected affair. After she very carefully set the bottle of oil back down, Linsey seemed to scold her, though with a soft voice that Ella wasn't used to hearing. Her gaze drifted to the ground, before she spoke the only words she thought might make the situation better. "I-I'm sorry, Miss Linsey." She said she was harmless... well, mostly... but Ella didn't want to risk it. What if the older girl got mad? What if she asked Ella to leave.... then she'd have to find another source of food.

Linsey finished decorating the bowls of fruit, then set them in small bowls. The blonde then started working on salads as well, and Ella figured her tummy would explode after such a big meal. Linsey said she could have as much as she wanted, but apparently didn't know that the younger girl very seldom ate such big portions. "I just have to drain the pasta, then mix it all together, I think." Dark eyes looked up at the older girl, hoping for confirmation before she were to move. Once she had it, the brunette carefully carried the heavy pot to the sink to spill it through a colander. Once done, she moved back to the range to mix the noodles with the sauce she'd made. Linsey had already grabbed down some bowls, so Ella filled them, though hers had far less food in it. There was still a ton left, so she figured that maybe if it was good, Linsey could share it with her friends. After all, Ella didn't have any.

Graydon Ironshield
          #5B92E5

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:23 pm
User Image
Linsey Grey-Cavendish

Linsey listened to Llewella’s advice for how best to hide and stay hidden with a bemused expression. When she slipped into the Art class as a First Year, while she initially hid from everybody, as it went along, she wanted to simply be part of the shared experience, and while she managed to stay out of the attention of her fellow students, she did manage not to escape Professor Hawthorne’s notice, which was what she wanted. “Ah, touché, mon ami,” she said gently, when Llewella said that she shouldn’t hide, “Nor, should you feel the need to do so either. You have as much of a right to be here, or anywhere else in this school for that matter, as any other student.”

It is magical,” agreed Linsey, when discussing the snows falling on the coast. As she spoke, her nearly luminous blue eyes took on a faraway look; as much as she missed being at Hogwarts over the summer, she missed being home when she was here. In her mind’s eye, she was gazing out the window upon the cold gray Irish Sea, and seeing the first fall of the winter's snows anew. “In a way, it's almost as though it becomes an entirely other place when the snows come. Of this world, but really not so much so, like Nature chose to redraw herself. I’ll have to show you my sketchbook some time; I’ve done a lot of drawings of home in winter over the years.”

As they worked, and Linsey pointed out Llewella had little to fear from her, she apologized, and referred to her as ‘Ms. Linsey’, which, in her book was better than being ‘ma’am-ed’, and she found rather liked it, as it was something she got from the boys at church. “There’s nothing to be sorry for, Llewella,” she said, again in a soft tone. “I’m just concerned for you, that’s all. You shouldn’t have to feel scared here either. The student kitchens are a sort of haven for me, and it can be the same for you as well. Whatever else is going on at the school, it stops at the doorway, and here I have peace.”

As Llewella was about to drain the water, she checked with Linsey about what she was doing, and Linsey said encouragingly, “Yep, that’s right, just remember to save back a cup of the pasta water, two cups actually, because we’ll stir that into the sauce.” It was right about then, the chicken was done cooking, and she served one of the chicken breasts to Llewella and poured the completed sauce over the meat. Yeah, she had more sauce than what was honestly needed, but it could always be saved for another meal. She also saw how small a portion of the pasta her new friend served herself, and then thought about how she’d only tried a single berry. When she wasn’t looking, Linsey added a bit more to Llewella’s portions.

OOC:
Cinnabun Gryffie

[]

User Image