Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
What are your goals?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:52 pm
This isn't about cosplay directly. That's another thread. This is more about your goals for upping your cosplay game. It can be learning to do jewelry-making, creating a goal to save money for a dress form, or anything relating to upping your craft.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:55 pm
My Current Goals

Stopping being afraid of my serger (I'm doing better)
Stop being afraid of boning
Practice Embrodiery more
Try to enter more costume contest.
Use my cricut more for stencils  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:51 pm
Eventually I'd like to get a steamer and embroidery machine to add to my tools pile. My apartment doesn't have the space for another sewing machine though, so it will likely have to wait. I want to get better at making props and armor, practice make-up that's out of my comfort zone, get better/faster at pattern drafting, probably other things too, but these are the ones at the forefront of my mind right now!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:54 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
Eventually I'd like to get a steamer and embroidery machine to add to my tools pile. My apartment doesn't have the space for another sewing machine though, so it will likely have to wait. I want to get better at making props and armor, practice make-up that's out of my comfort zone, get better/faster at pattern drafting, probably other things too, but these are the ones at the forefront of my mind right now!

Armor and prop making it something that is on my near future list.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:30 pm
angelmage99

I've gotten better at patterning armor/props, but I'm still not great at making joints seamless lol. I have a lot to learn still.

Do you have any upcoming projects that you plan on practicing for boning/embroidering/making use of your serger?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:14 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu

Do you have any upcoming projects that you plan on practicing for boning/embroidering/making use of your serger?

Well with Sergers, it's really any project, I'm currently just sergering anything that I cut out for clothing/costume use. I know I can attach pieces together if I need to, but I want to do it with a costume that I'm familiar with it's construction and Historical costumes are not that.

As far as boning I'm planning on making a formal dress that has boning (have all I need, just have to start it) and I'm also going to make some stays and corsets. I plan on doing American Duchess' 1740s stay, Angela Claytons Edwardian underlings, a new Regency stay, and a 1880s corset (in that order). I also plan on exploring using zip ties instead on regular boning.

As far as embroidery, I'm using starter kits to learn. I'll continue to use them for the time being. My big project that I'm planing on doing in the future is Jun Tao from Shaman King with my husband possibly doing Lee Pyron, but I'm debating if I want to get an embrodery machine first.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:07 pm
angelmage99
Well with Sergers, it's really any project, I'm currently just sergering anything that I cut out for clothing/costume use. I know I can attach pieces together if I need to, but I want to do it with a costume that I'm familiar with it's construction and Historical costumes are not that.

As far as boning I'm planning on making a formal dress that has boning (have all I need, just have to start it) and I'm also going to make some stays and corsets. I plan on doing American Duchess' 1740s stay, Angela Claytons Edwardian underlings, a new Regency stay, and a 1880s corset (in that order). I also plan on exploring using zip ties instead on regular boning.

As far as embroidery, I'm using starter kits to learn. I'll continue to use them for the time being. My big project that I'm planing on doing in the future is Jun Tao from Shaman King with my husband possibly doing Lee Pyron, but I'm debating if I want to get an embrodery machine first.

I love Angela Clayton's creations! I'd love to try one of her patterns one day. One day I want to test my skills with a historical corset too, but I haven't picked a time period. I'd love to hear how the zip ties end up going! I've only seen one or two people use it, but I don't know how comfortable/sturdy it ends up being.

Jun Tao is so pretty! You're going to look so good as her! If you plan on doing the dragon motif with embroidery that's going to take so long!! It'd be so beautiful too though lol  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:01 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu

I love Angela Clayton's creations! I'd love to try one of her patterns one day. One day I want to test my skills with a historical corset too, but I haven't picked a time period. I'd love to hear how the zip ties end up going! I've only seen one or two people use it, but I don't know how comfortable/sturdy it ends up being.

Jun Tao is so pretty! You're going to look so good as her! If you plan on doing the dragon motif with embroidery that's going to take so long!! It'd be so beautiful too though lol

I'd recommend trying Regency first. there's an amazing tutorial on how to make the stay. It's also one that you can do a lot with for a little and there's a lot of patterns out there. I don't recommend the Butterrick Pattern. It sucks.

Any vintage outfits (30-70s) would also be pretty easy and accessable too. It has the advantage of two piece outfits which means you don't have to worry about having enough fabric for a whole gown and you can make multiple pieces to mix and match.

I think my third choice would be medieval clothing. There's no stays or corset, because the the dress is the one who lifts the ladies. You just have to have a lot of fabric. Drafting the pattern is also fairly easy.

I'll have to make a Angelmage's recommendations post about my thoughts.

Anyways. When I do Jun Tao I'll have to enter it in a Cosplay Contest. I'm not going to do all that work and not try to get an award for it. It's hair design, embrodery, bias tap, and adding in historical notes on fabric and design is a match for judges.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers