Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
How Should Conventions Evolve Post-Covid

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:14 am
So there is a slight discussion that came up on Cosplay.com. Several cosplayers comment about how the newest gen of cosplayers are distroying cons and that cons need to adapt to keep alive. I'm curious about what some cons could do to evolve. What do you think they could do? What type of things seem to draw a crowd? What isn't common in terms of an event that you believe would be helpful?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:20 am
I think it's part community and part con. Here's a few things I noticed.

In the past Social Media has been huge on connecting people. Sites like ACParadise, Cosplay.com, and Facebook have been huge when connecting people together, but chatting like it used to be has gone down and now it's hard ot find people who are doing groups without knowing people personally. A good example is I know some friends who are doing a Smash Bros group and I made a Peach and Mario costume to go with them. That same group is doing a Demon Slayer Hashira Set and I planed to do Shinobu. Another friend and I are doing are two Sailor Scouts (Pluto and Jupiter).

A big draw for cons is the Cosplay contest, but I also noticed that Cosplay Chess more likely is not likely to happen. I've also noticed less panels, which is a great way to sit and relax for a bit while learning.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:59 am
I've been hearing more and more about lack of organization in cons lately. Their are a lot of reasons. They need to get it together like it was before. One of the problems like in so many industries, stores, restaurants, hotels, etc is help. Their is not enough people to run conventions and the attractions nearby. I've also heard that Hotel booking is a nightmare. I feel that if their are more help for the conventions and somehow have more people working in the nearby areas that it would halp out a lot. Having new events at a con could help or more of what they have. One example is a Maid Cafe. Many people want to go to one but their is not enough space or time for everyone to experience. I have noticed on Facebook that people are running Cosplay Group Photoshoots themselves. The problem is that the photoshoots don't always make it to the schedule. It would be a shame if some events went away. Having something new could really help. Also as I mentioned the people running the conventions need better organization. I read that some people aren't going because of that  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:08 pm
I think its not just the pandemic (though that changed A LOT!) but other things like the decline of social media too. I know a lot of people who dropped facebook/meta because they dislike the privacy policies, how sites handled misinformation or hate groups during particularly polarized times, and having poor algorithms that you always have to dance around just to have any views. Many swapped for things like Discord which is not very easy to find NEW people through. it serves more of a place for a pre-established community to talk.

There's not really any more mainstream platforms that are great for sharing tutorials, getting advice, meeting people, etc. unfortunately forum based sites like here/live journal/ etc. have become a dying breed... whether it be online isolation bc everyone has felt the need to shift to their own cosplay 'brand' sites/discord communities and turn down the dial on other social medias, or physical isolation post-pandemic due to travel or health restrictions, I feel like there's less convenient places to find cos-community and foster those ideas for things like group cosplays, coming up with or attending panels together, etc. Maybe its just what ive seen in my local community?

I know a lot of cons are understaffed more than usual. I feel like a lot of people arent as drawn to being volunteers as before. Which is understandable, there's only some cons I've worked at, most I'm just an attendee. But I think that's something cons will have to find a way to adapt if they're going to run better and attract more people. Either by offering incentives to volunteers (some ideas could be comped badges, goodie bags, special hours for events or shopping, etc.), or shelling out some of their budget to hire 3rd party people to run things like check-ins and what-not  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Understaffing is a big one. I was raised with the idea 'if you want to get things done, do it yourself'. There is a lack of people who are go getters. That being said, people shouldn't take all the blame. Con should too. Cons should offer reasons like behind the scenes, discounted, or free tickets.

I've volunteered in the past at several different cons. Sakura Con gives nothing. Kuroneko Con makes people pay, but if they preform their volunteer duties, they get there money back and Radcon will discount your ticket/refund part if you are a repeat volunteer (need cred).

I also do not volunteer at cons that it's my first time going or that I'm entering the cosplay contest for (unless I know them and/or have an agreement with them). Which will be most cons now.

Another thing I can think of, at the last con I volunteered at most of the volunteers were not trained and they were too young. There was also a volunteer who would not use a persons referred pronouns. The person had a pin on with the referance.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:58 am
angelmage99
Understaffing is a big one. I was raised with the idea 'if you want to get things done, do it yourself'. There is a lack of people who are go getters. That being said, people shouldn't take all the blame. Con should too. Cons should offer reasons like behind the scenes, discounted, or free tickets.

I've volunteered in the past at several different cons. Sakura Con gives nothing. Kuroneko Con makes people pay, but if they preform their volunteer duties, they get there money back and Radcon will discount your ticket/refund part if you are a repeat volunteer (need cred).

I also do not volunteer at cons that it's my first time going or that I'm entering the cosplay contest for (unless I know them and/or have an agreement with them). Which will be most cons now.

Another thing I can think of, at the last con I volunteered at most of the volunteers were not trained and they were too young. There was also a volunteer who would not use a persons referred pronouns. The person had a pin on with the referance.

Back in the 90's and early 2000's I worked at a local Sci Fi / Fantasy Cons. I was with a Star Trek Group that I belonged to. Over the years I was moved around from one spot to another. The cons were ran by a national company and they were very kind to us. We got to work with the guests, even driving them around. My group was basically general support. What ever they wanted we did. We had many perks included free admission, discounts on certain merchandise, and free autographs from the guests as long as we paid for the photos in advance. You should see my binder of autographs from the Star Trek guests it's bursting at the seems. I happen to have an autograph from all of the Original Star Trek Series. Very special to me. I worked recruiting for group. helped set up and take down sets for the con, sold merchandise, I even watched over the guests items for sale for when they went on stage. I had personal interaction big time that day. We also trained new workers. Many joined our Star Trek Club first.

I have not worked an Anime con. A little Leary of due to lack of organization at times. Also in my previous con work experience I had a special group of people who supported us and then. Imagine getting to know the guests on a personal level than get a couple minute meet and greet.

Some of what I mentioned above could boost up a con and encourage volunteers. I know their are Anime Fan Clubs out their. Perhaps they could support a bigger con. As for pronouns that has got to be confusing.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:38 am
I just found a fun panel idea. I guess at Kumori Con (Portland, OR) a group of fans (as in fan panel) had a Curse Cosplay Contest Panel. That sounds really fun.

I'll have to note this for the Con that I'll be working later this year. I don't know how much they want me to be involved, but I can recommend it at least.

I was watching a Con Vlog video when the person went to the panel. I'd like give credit. I also linked the tutorials to the outfit they wore for the Cursed Cosplay section of their Vlog.

Colleen Cosplay: Vlogo Video
Tutorial Video  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:39 am
angelmage99
I just found a fun panel idea. I guess at Kumori Con (Portland, OR) a group of fans (as in fan panel) had a Curse Cosplay Contest Panel. That sounds really fun.

I'll have to note this for the Con that I'll be working later this year. I don't know how much they want me to be involved, but I can recommend it at least.

I was watching a Con Vlog video when the person went to the panel. I'd like give credit. I also linked the tutorials to the outfit they wore for the Cursed Cosplay section of their Vlog.

Colleen Cosplay: Vlogo Video
Tutorial Video

I really liked Colleens Video. Her Cosplays were cute and I know that it had to have been harder to make things and get around in a wheelchair. I liked how she added the Instagram accounts of the cosplayers to the video. When I'm back to going to conventions I will see if I can get Instagram names too. The Curse Cosplay Contest Panel.idea I find interesting too. Who knows it might catch on. What do you think about disabled cosplayers. Are their things that those people need to do extra to account for their disability. Colleen seemed to be zipping around pretty good on her Wheelchair.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:39 am
smithers456

I really liked Colleens Video. Her Cosplays were cute and I know that it had to have been harder to make things and get around in a wheelchair. I liked how she added the Instagram accounts of the cosplayers to the video. When I'm back to going to conventions I will see if I can get Instagram names too. The Curse Cosplay Contest Panel.idea I find interesting too. Who knows it might catch on. What do you think about disabled cosplayers. Are their things that those people need to do extra to account for their disability. Colleen seemed to be zipping around pretty good on her Wheelchair.

So met Colleen when I was at Kuroneko con during the judging for the Cosplay Contest (she mentions in the video she's was a judge), but I'm known about her from common cosplay friends for a while. She's also from the same area as I from in Washington. Plus I've watched many of her videos that aren't tutorials.

She's not fully wheelchair bound. From what I understand (based on her videos) she has a degenerative cartilage diesease. So she's in pain because bone may rub against bone at times. So she really only needs her wheelchair, for the moment, when she's going to be in places that would cause her to stand or walk a lot (she doesn't use it at home as much for that reason). She also mention it's progressed faster than she'd hoped for and that she wont be able to do cosplay forever. She's investing in doing as much as she can now, but this con did seem like a good con for her. She does frequently need to have breaks because of the pain and her breaks usually last hours, but she didn't say anything about it in this video. So I'm guessing it was a good weekend for her.

She's also a huge advocate for accessability in Cosplay. Her tutorials feature little things she does with her wheelchair to decorate it in character. Like she does a lot of Winx costumes and she'll put her wings on the chair or her Best Jeanist has a jean wheelcovers and a jean backpack. Some of her tutorials also talk about how she's changed her costume so doesn't get stuck in her wheelchair.

Another thing she does for the community is speaks out when she feels cons are not providing oppertunity when there is options to do so. A good example she's spoken out against Rose City Comic Con who will not provide access to the stage for disabled cosplayers when the convention center has a ramp that can be added for no additional cost. She was instead told she could will her chair infront of the stage which provides less visability for people to see her costume.

Some of her work has provided changes too. Kuroneko Con has put in extra effort and this last year, not only did they had a judge who was disablied, but a cosplayer in the cosplay contest too. She also works with other cons who will ask her to come in for advisory like Radcon and SageFenCon (all in the Tri-Cities area in Washington).

If you listen to her video again she mentions the con as an ADA line and she does that with her Sakuracon video. So she'll mention if the con is helping or harming efforts to make things accessable.

When I get to making the Cosplay 101 thread I plan on including her as referance on the page about Accesablitiy, Race, and Gender.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:13 am
angelmage99
smithers456

So met Colleen when I was at Kuroneko con during the judging for the Cosplay Contest (she mentions in the video she's was a judge), but I'm known about her from common cosplay friends for a while. She's also from the same area as I from in Washington. Plus I've watched many of her videos that aren't tutorials.

She's not fully wheelchair bound. From what I understand (based on her videos) she has a degenerative cartilage diesease. So she's in pain because bone may rub against bone at times. So she really only needs her wheelchair, for the moment, when she's going to be in places that would cause her to stand or walk a lot (she doesn't use it at home as much for that reason). She also mention it's progressed faster than she'd hoped for and that she wont be able to do cosplay forever. She's investing in doing as much as she can now, but this con did seem like a good con for her. She does frequently need to have breaks because of the pain and her breaks usually last hours, but she didn't say anything about it in this video. So I'm guessing it was a good weekend for her.

She's also a huge advocate for accessability in Cosplay. Her tutorials feature little things she does with her wheelchair to decorate it in character. Like she does a lot of Winx costumes and she'll put her wings on the chair or her Best Jeanist has a jean wheelcovers and a jean backpack. Some of her tutorials also talk about how she's changed her costume so doesn't get stuck in her wheelchair.

Another thing she does for the community is speaks out when she feels cons are not providing oppertunity when there is options to do so. A good example she's spoken out against Rose City Comic Con who will not provide access to the stage for disabled cosplayers when the convention center has a ramp that can be added for no additional cost. She was instead told she could will her chair infront of the stage which provides less visability for people to see her costume.

Some of her work has provided changes too. Kuroneko Con has put in extra effort and this last year, not only did they had a judge who was disablied, but a cosplayer in the cosplay contest too. She also works with other cons who will ask her to come in for advisory like Radcon and SageFenCon (all in the Tri-Cities area in Washington).

If you listen to her video again she mentions the con as an ADA line and she does that with her Sakuracon video. So she'll mention if the con is helping or harming efforts to make things accessable.

When I get to making the Cosplay 101 thread I plan on including her as referance on the page about Accesablitiy, Race, and Gender.

That is so cool that you met Colleen in person. Reading what you wrote above I respect her even more for what she does. Yeah I can imagine all of the mobility issues that she has. It looked like she was having fun which in the ends is what counts. We need more people like her to pave the way for greater access and respect for disabled Cosplayers.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:03 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

That is so cool that you met Colleen in person. Reading what you wrote above I respect her even more for what she does. Yeah I can imagine all of the mobility issues that she has. It looked like she was having fun which in the ends is what counts. We need more people like her to pave the way for greater access and respect for disabled Cosplayers.

I've only found one other youtuber (so far) who talks about disability and cosplay and post fairly regulary. I haven't really watched anything from her account yet.

Be the Spark Cosplay

She is missing the lower part of one of her arms. This was something that she was born with. She became really became famous after her Cinderella Photoshoot.  
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games