Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Clubs (Looking for Clubs!)
Hogwarts Chess Association

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:34 pm
Hogwarts Chess Association

User Image
Founded in 2061 by Kasamir Aloysius Patrovna, a Second Year from House Slytherin, and sponsored by Professor Azalea, this club is dedicated to the learning, study and appreciation of the game of chess. Primarily, the focus is upon Wizard Chess, although other variants can be explored, with an eye towards staging tournaments. There are no requirements in terms of knowledge and experience, as the game’s basics are to be taught to those whom wish to learn.

The club meets twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7:30-8:30AM in the empty classroom outside the Third Floor Landing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:38 am
User Image
Kasamir Aloysius Patrovna
SlytherinSecond YearTwelve Years OldSingleChess Club Captain

Kasamir was surprised when he got word that his petition to start a chess club got the official nod from his Head of House, and he started getting ready for the first meeting. Once he had a location secured, he made sure there were enough boards and chess sets available for him to set up matches immediately and to start teaching the game to any neophytes whom might choose to check the club out. Kasamir asked the House Elves if they could make something for the first meeting, and they obliged him with a nice tray of cookies and a carafe of pumpkin juice for the occasion.

With today being the first meeting of the club, he took the oppourtunity to bring his Wizard Chess set up from his dorm room, and set it up. While he was waiting for potential members to appear, he set up his board and started working out a chess problem published in the most recent copy of the newspaper. As he was working on a solution to the problem, he became aware of somebody’s presence. Looking up from the board, he saw Brianna was standing on the other side of the table from him.

The Sixth Year heard about the formation of the Chess Club second-hand, surprised she’d not heard it from Kasamir first. Then again, she supposed she shouldn’t be so, Kasamir was not one whom engaged in idle chatter usually. She decided to pack up her own board and pieces and go up to the room where the inaugural meeting was to be held, and she made it up there fairly early; enough so she and Kasamir were literally the only ones who were present. She rather hoped this didn’t bode ill for the nascent club.

She stood there, across the table from her Housemate, watching as he moved a piece, and then an opposing piece would make a countermove of its own volition. He made a couple more moves, and the other pieces reciprocated, and Brianna was about to clear her throat to let him she was there, when he looked up at her. “Keptyin, what brings you here?” Brianna replied, “Heard you formed a chess club, wanted to check it out for myself.”

Looking to learn the game, or have been playing a while?” asked Kasamir, as he focused his blue eyes upon the Sixth Year. Brianna replied, “My great-grandfather taught me to play when I was in primary school. He gifted me with the Wizard Chess set that I brought to club. You?” Kasamir said, “Was working on earning my Master points before… before coming here.” The young man caught himself in time to avoid mentioning the accident which changed the trajectory of his life. ‘Better not to walk down a path best not trod upon,’ he told himself. ‘Today is a day where I move beyond my past.’ He added, “Usually, if I can’t find an opponent, I have to settle on playing against the pieces. My set belonged to my grandfather, and he was a very good player, and so are the pieces as a result.”

Brianna said, “Same, however, when I’m home, I play online against an Artificial Intelligence. So, good enough for the club?” The Second Year gave her a nod , and answered, “I’m hoping to have players of all levels, from beginners on up.” Brianna nodded, and she replied, “Well, at least you know, I’m not a patzer. Care to play a game while we’re waiting for other prospective members?”

Kasamir nodded, and said, “Why not. Let me make a few notes, before setting up the board.” With that, he took a small notebook from a pocket and made a series of notations detailing the moves already made, and the final positions of all the pieces still in play. It was his intention to pick up where he left off at some point and finish the problem. After putting the notebook away, he started setting the board up for a regular game, and then began positioning the board so Brianna would play the white pieces. “When playing living opponents, I always choose Black,” he explained.

As he did this, Brianna held out a hand to stop him, and she said politely, “As do I. Flip a coin instead?” Kasamir nodded solemnly, as Brianna fished a shiny new Galleon from a pocket. She flicked it into the air, and Kasamir said, “Heads.” The coin landed upon the table and spun a couple times before landing with tails facing upwards. Brianna grunted appreciatively, and spun the board round so the black pieces were set before her. “White leads as always.”

Kasamir selected a piece, advancing a pawn, and saw Brianna’s answering move a moment later. After a couple of further moves and counters, Kasamir looked up from the board, and saw Brianna looking straight back at him. “Closed Ruy Lopez opening, I see,” she commented, as she studied her opponent. Kasamir replied, “And you’ve responded with the Chigorin Variation, nice.” Brianna shrugged and commented, “ The AI has used it on occasion, and I’ve learned how to counter. Your move.”

After several more moves, and hearing the protests of the pieces being sacrificed, Kasamir positioned one of his bishops and said quietly, “Mate in five.” One smooth cheek on Brianna’s face twitched, and she made her next move as though she hadn’t heard her opponent’s declarative. “Countered; mate in five,” as she looked up to meet Kasamir’s gaze. The Russian asked, “Draw?” Brianna nodded, and answered, “Draw. Well played, Patrovna.” Kasamir nodded, and replied solemnly, “Well played, Quinn-Smith.”

The two of them shook hands, and Kasamir said quietly, “I should like to discuss with you some matters in regard to Quidditch.” Brianna nodded, and said, “My door is open, as always. However, that can wait. You have a club to open.”

OOC:
Username

User Image
                I'm not afraid of getting older, I'm one less day from dying young
                I see the light go past my shoulder, I'm one less day from dying young

I see my life, Like a train with a one-way track
                I've made mistakes, And I couldn't take 'em back
                And I've been runnin' 'round in circles, 'Til I'm dizzy, I can't lie
                But every night I go to sleep's, A day that I survive

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:38 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx Wʜᴇʀᴇ Aᴍ I? Chess Clubroom
xxx Wʜᴏ Is Wɪᴛʜ Mᴇ? Brianna and Kasamir
xxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Gᴏɪɴɢ Oɴ? Chess Club
xxxxx Wʜᴀᴛ's Iɴsɪᴅᴇ Mʏ Hᴇᴀᴅ? I should've just slept in

Csuri wasn't normally one for clubs. They were always full of loud, squawking people on about whatever nonsense was happening in their lives. That said, when Brianna mentioned the new chess club, the third year had to admit (not out loud, of course, but still) that it sounded... not awful. The day of the first meeting, she woke up early and got dressed. Her curls frizzed out after she brushed them, earning a sigh of frustration. After getting dressed, she stomped up to the club room.

So far the only people there were Brianna... and Kasamir. Csuri knew the younger boy didn't like her, but honestly, she couldn't be bothered. Everyone knew he was a pessimist too, but apparently "assuming a loss" was too much. What a butthead. Rolling silvery-grey eyes, Csuri walked in and leaned against the wall. They were in the middle of a match. Csuri was decent enough, but they were using weird technical names and she had no idea what they were doing. But they ended in a draw. So no winners. That was dumb. Ugh. Why was she even here? The blonde glanced sidelong at the door, already debating on leaving while the two were talking in hushed tones. Wouldn't be long before she was spotted.

{{Wearing :: Casual Attire}}
          Graydon Ironshield

Tᴏʟᴅ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍs, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʟʟ sᴛᴀʀᴛᴇᴅ ʟᴀᴜɢʜɪɴɢ
          I ɢᴜᴇss ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴍɪɴᴅ 'ᴛɪʟ ɪᴛ ᴀᴄᴛᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴs
          I'ᴍ ᴛʜᴇ sᴍᴀʟʟ ᴛᴏᴡɴ, Oɴᴇ ɪɴ sᴇᴠᴇɴ ʙɪʟʟɪᴏɴ. Wʜʏ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ ᴍᴇ?
          Wʜᴇɴ ᴅɪᴅ ᴡᴇ ᴀʟʟ sᴛᴏᴘ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴍᴀɢɪᴄ?
          Wʜʏ ᴅɪᴅ ᴡᴇ ᴘᴜᴛ ᴀʟʟ ᴏᴜʀ ʜᴏᴘᴇs ɪɴ ᴀ ʙᴏx ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴛᴛɪᴄ?
          I'ᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏɴɢ sʜᴏᴛ. I'ᴍ ᴛʜᴇ Hᴀɪʟ Mᴀʀʏ. Wʜʏ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ ᴍᴇ?
          Tʜᴇʏ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴇ I ᴡᴀs ᴏᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ, ᴛʀɪᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴄᴋ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ
          Tᴏᴏᴋ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ sᴛɪᴄᴋs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴏɴᴇs, sʜᴏᴡᴇᴅ 'ᴇᴍ I ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴜɪʟᴅ ᴀ ʜᴏᴜsᴇ
          Tʜᴇʏ ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ I'ᴍ ᴄʀᴀᴢʏ, ʙᴜᴛ I'ʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʟᴇᴛ 'ᴇᴍ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇ ᴍᴇ
          'Tɪʟ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴍᴇ ɪɴ ᴅᴀɪsɪᴇs, ᴅᴀɪsɪᴇs, ᴅᴀɪsɪᴇs

Clubs (Looking for Clubs!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out