Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Management Problems at Conventions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:56 am
Hi everyone,

There is something, new to me, at conventions that is starting to bother me. Management at some cons has had bigger and bigger problems running their conventions. Won't say which one but I want to give an example of problems at one con. Ticket lines were over 10 hrs and some events like Maid Cafe got canceled at the last moment. Also, there was problems booking panels. At the end of the con people were having a hard time getting a refund for certain things. There has been an ever-increasing problem of having tickets refunded as well. They would be told wait a month or two or even carried over to the next convention.

This has made me hesitant to go to future conventions. Their didn't use to be big problems and my only concerns was planning what to do at the con and to have enough money for it. I hope this problem goes away.

I'm curious as to what other members think of cons like this one being ran badly and examples of what you have seen. No need to say which conventions just stories is fine.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:30 pm
One of the biggest problems conventions are facing include not having volunteers. I wish people would understand that volunteers help the convention run smoothly, but on the flip side there are some cons that don't give good perks to their volunteers.

Sakura Con in Seattle, WA doesn't give their volutneers free tickets or behind the scenes exclusive volunteer oppertunities for example. Or at least in the pass it's the case (last time I went was before getting married).

Radcon in Pasco, WA gives discounts for people who volunteer multiple years and they get some goodies too.

My next con I'm going to is really generous. Not only do you have to work abt 2 1/2 hours per day for the ticket, but immidiate familiy members (spouses and kids) also get in free. However because I do competitions (and I made a promise to my husband) they have not decided if volunteers will be allowed to do competitions.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Convention Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers