Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
Discussing Intelligent Discussion Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:06 am
It has come to my attention that there is a rather small percentage of posters in Intelligent Discussion Forum are, in fact, not being intelligent and are not discussing. While their numbers are small now, I have an inevitable feeling that it will grow if action is not taken. However, in the past I have been proven wrong about jumping to conclusions.

So, it is my proposal that we discuss the matter intelligently to determine a definitive course of action that we could request from the Powers That Be.

On one hand, we could have moderators carefully scrutinize the forum for ne'er-do-wells and inflict some form of punishment or another, whether it be in the form of warnings or bannings. This would certainly remove them from the situation, but is it wise to immediately choose negative reinforcement as a means to control members of the community? I'm not saying that we may become some sort of police state, but the argument stands. Over-moderating forums can indeed lead to dead forums.

On the other hand, we could also live and let be, and let people post what they will, no matter how immature or asinine as it may be. Would this open the door for the perpetrators to continue, and allow others to follow? If that happens, it is a distinct possibility that the IDT will dissolve into just any other chat-based forum, with no sense of maturity or reasonable debate that characterizes it presently.

Do discuss, propose alternatives, and defend arguments.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:19 am
That's a very tough question. I fear that if we did have moderators on this forum, it would become much like ED. There would be tons of repeat threads because the realm of what can be counted under "intelligent discussion" would then be limited.

However, I do see what you mean that there seem to be very few threads here that are actually stimulating to the mind.

I think what we need, and may already have (I don't think I've been here long enough to decide) is a laid-back forum for the intellectuals to hang out in. Not nessiarily post immature, stupid things, but you know, just have casual conversations. Not every post needs to spark the debate of the season, after all. I rather like the more "what's your favorite movie?" threads, because at least the intellectual people are posting some worthwhile posts.

Edit:
Something that may be fun but only seem stupid is a question that my dad likes to ask: "Are pennies free?" Now, the obvious answer is, no, of course not. However, the truly intellectual mind will at least humor the question in an abstract sense. They would think about inflation, and whether or not it would be worth it to them to pick up a penny on the street instead of a nickel, or maybe a quarter. Things like that. That simple question can spark a really fun debate if you have enough imagination.
The trouble is, how do we pull in enough people to get a debate like that started? And how to we keep un-creative posts like "duh, of course their worth something!" at a minimum? Moderation seems a little too harsh for something like that.  

CleverScreenname

Strideo
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:18 am
Okay, just letting you guys know that we crew members are making a note of your suggestions and comments. I think most of us are pretty new to BBS moderation so we are taking a "light touch" approach to everything right now. Plus I'm pretty sure we're a laid back group of people so we tend to let things slide sometimes unless it's clearly a gross offender. Despite this guild's size it's still pretty new so we're still trying get things smoothed out.
Trust me though, we want this forum to be enjoyable and successful in it's proper element as much as you do! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:24 am
Strideo is most likely right. This is my first time being a mod on any bbs type community. I also haven't been around much, but I'm not really going to delete posts, warn people, etc unless someone finds the person commiting the crime offensive, in which case, the person in question's name and where the post is should be reported to me.

Edit: Look at the new sticky for further information.  

Pulga

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:41 am
Well, if nothing else, I'm glad that there are still mods and admins here.

I've actually been toying with the idea of starting my own guild for intelligent (read: literate) discussions and casual conversation. I'm not sure if that would seem too elitist or not, and whether or not that would be a bad thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:56 pm
Well, I'm bringing this back up because there seems to be quite a number of new people in here, and I'd like to get your input on how things should be run in here.

I really want to know your opinion on how this sub-forum should be moderated, and to what degree. I'm all ears!  

Cornelius loh Quatious

goldenhair0

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:55 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:44 pm
Well I would say we should watch and find out if the remarks are just made by users that are costantly posting this kind of thing or if some of it can be make by mistake. If a lot of it is made by mistake then thing should be find if you look at it my way, even though it would be just be a bit silly to research this if only 5 people would do it, if i don't know about 15 users do this it might just work. Even if they are only doing it a few times they should know about what they are doing.  

Lady_Dream

Cornelius loh Quatious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:29 pm
Well, it's been about 6-7 months since I've taken over this sub-forum, and I'd like to have the input of all the new members.

Please answer any of the following questions as best you can. Nobody is required to do this, and I can't guarantee that everybody will be happy, but I will do my best to ensure that this remains a safe and lively place for intelligent discussion and debate.

- What do you like about the sub-forum?
- What would you like to see changed (either how it is or how it's run)?
- What new things would you like to see introduced?

Interpret the questions however you'd like, and I'll do my best to keep everyone satisfied. If you truly feel that something had best be kept private, feel free to PM me with your comments and I'll take those into consideration as well.

Also, if you come up with anything else you'd like to discuss or see discussed, do bring it up. I will do the same.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 pm
Okay, I really want to get input from you guys about how you want things done around here. If nobody steps forward, I'm just going to assume that things are going swimmingly, and there's no need for change.

For now, I'd like to know how serious you guys want posts to be. I already delete posts that are outright spam, but what about responsive smilies and witty one-liners? As is, I'm leaving them be, but in an effort to streamline discussions, I'm wondering if I should classify them as spam.

Do share your thoughts on the subject.  

Cornelius loh Quatious

KaguraOfTheWind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:00 pm
This is supposed to be intelligent discussions, one liners and smilies do not add anything and are by no means intelligent. Therefore it is reasonable to say they have no place here.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:47 pm
KaguraOfTheWind
This is supposed to be intelligent discussions, one liners and smilies do not add anything and are by no means intelligent. Therefore it is reasonable to say they have no place here.

I agree with her statement. There are a some one-liners though that could further the discussion.  

locke317

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces