Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Gaian Geezers Guild
Geezer Craft Corner Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you crafty like a fox?
Yes! I'm a sharpshooter with my glue gun!
55%
 55%  [ 39 ]
Ehn, I occasionally have glued myself to the carpet.
44%
 44%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 70

Warnersister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:19 am
MQubed
man, I started a cross stitch the other day!! I guess I'm used to just doing the pattern as you go along the line (for crocheting, etc.), this trying to figure out which x to do next with this color was ... hard ! 4laugh

Warnersister, did you Google the yarn? If I remember correctly, once you have the gauge (x number of stitches in a 1" square for example), if you choose another type/brand of yarn it'll work if the gauge is the same -- and I think most yarn will give the gauge (but I could be wrong!!)

With cross-stitch you really have to count. I find the only way to keep track is to pencil over the stitches / rows I've already done.

According to the pattern, the tension is supposed to be 9 stitches to 2", using 5mm (no 6) knitting needles. The yarns are Sirdar Sportswool colour 032 Ivory; and Sherpa colours 144 Dapple Brown & 143 Romany Brown. Is that the sort of information I need?

Aha! Someone on eBay is offering the nostalgia reproduction of the pattern (as opposed to the original) and apparently uses Nova super chunky. It may be worth my while investing another few pounds in this updated pattern if I can't figure out the wool any other way...

DW  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:51 pm
thats an interesting picture  

Elspeth Telrunya

Sleeping_Bear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:48 pm
fr34x0r
just made this tonight:
abstract image
Incredible. Looks like Jack frost has been painting your windows and did a REALLY good job, too.
As for my craftiness,2 things I paint D&D minuature figurines, and I built a dollhouse for my daughter's Pinky Street dolls OK, figurenes. Moonblossom (my daughter) did help with the house, though  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:40 pm
made a new profile layout, so check my profile
I'm not 100% finished, but it's functional  

freaxy
Crew

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:09 pm
anyone else here do custom profiles?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:43 pm
I don't do profiles, but I am making hanging towels again...  

Lil-Jo
Crew

MQubed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:37 pm
Warnersister
MQubed
man, I started a cross stitch the other day!! I guess I'm used to just doing the pattern as you go along the line (for crocheting, etc.), this trying to figure out which x to do next with this color was ... hard ! 4laugh

Warnersister, did you Google the yarn? If I remember correctly, once you have the gauge (x number of stitches in a 1" square for example), if you choose another type/brand of yarn it'll work if the gauge is the same -- and I think most yarn will give the gauge (but I could be wrong!!)

With cross-stitch you really have to count. I find the only way to keep track is to pencil over the stitches / rows I've already done.

According to the pattern, the tension is supposed to be 9 stitches to 2", using 5mm (no 6) knitting needles. The yarns are Sirdar Sportswool colour 032 Ivory; and Sherpa colours 144 Dapple Brown & 143 Romany Brown. Is that the sort of information I need?

Aha! Someone on eBay is offering the nostalgia reproduction of the pattern (as opposed to the original) and apparently uses Nova super chunky. It may be worth my while investing another few pounds in this updated pattern if I can't figure out the wool any other way...

DW

Yes, that's the information you need. So you choose the color yarn you want (all the same brand!)... but before you buy it, check (or ask the salesperson) what the gauge is. Even then, you might buy just one skein and knit a small square then measure it yourself.

I've found that when I'm just starting (or learning a stitch) my gauge is much tighter, which can throw off your overall dimensions/measurements. But once you are comfortable with the stitch(es), etc. then your gauge is likely to match the advertised one. Did that make sense??

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:09 am
MQubed
Yes, that's the information you need. So you choose the color yarn you want (all the same brand!)... but before you buy it, check (or ask the salesperson) what the gauge is. Even then, you might buy just one skein and knit a small square then measure it yourself.

I've found that when I'm just starting (or learning a stitch) my gauge is much tighter, which can throw off your overall dimensions/measurements. But once you are comfortable with the stitch(es), etc. then your gauge is likely to match the advertised one. Did that make sense??

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, that should really help. I picked up the updated pattern, but it's still using wool that went out of production in 2005 - still, that's better than 1970s smile Thanks also for the tip on the gauge.

I think I'll bring a friend of mine along who's better at knitting than me and between her and the sales assistant, we'll find the yarn I need smile

DW  

Warnersister

MQubed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:56 pm
Warnersister
MQubed

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, that should really help. I picked up the updated pattern, but it's still using wool that went out of production in 2005 - still, that's better than 1970s smile Thanks also for the tip on the gauge.

I think I'll bring a friend of mine along who's better at knitting than me and between her and the sales assistant, we'll find the yarn I need smile

DW

Please put up some pictures of the in-progress too! I'd love to see it 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:03 pm
Will do - I shall probably end up relying on encouragement, as it has been soooo long since I last knitted. Plus I used to have this terrible tendency to start with 30 stitches and end with 80! So I shall have to watch really carefully...

DW  

Warnersister

freaxy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 pm
Made a new myspace profile for a close friend of mine...

Her Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:34 pm
Warnersister
Will do - I shall probably end up relying on encouragement, as it has been soooo long since I last knitted. Plus I used to have this terrible tendency to start with 30 stitches and end with 80! So I shall have to watch really carefully...

DW

And you're even knitting here on Gaia!! Good job! rofl rofl rofl

I'm hoping that it's a good sign and that you're making progress on your cardigan!

My cross stitch turned out really well (I ended up using a highlighter to tell which stitches I'd already done; I also made another copy and colored in the pattern!!) I'd like to make another one for my mom, but I'll have to wait for some extra money first...  

MQubed

MQubed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:37 pm
fr34x0r
Made a new myspace profile for a close friend of mine...

Her Profile
wasn't someone else looking for profilers?? shoot, now I can't remember ... Oh, wait, I forgot: I've got a mind like a steel sieve!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:19 pm
^ -shrug- I have no idea...I have a horrible memory.

I also just redid mine...HERE  

freaxy
Crew

Neptune Bride

8,650 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:15 pm
I like doing crafty stuff, but a lot of times I don't have the ambition to see them through. My biggest thing lately has been making pictures of my RP characters using Photoshop. I don't make any of the bases, cuase I'm not that good. I get them all form here. I take the one I like, then draw on the hair, clothes and sometimes backgrounds. Some of them I either don't put a BG in or else I just use a picture I find on Google or Ask.com. But check them out:DeviantArt

The last RW project I worked on was a butterfly kit. You get 3 metal frames shaped like butterflies, a roll of metal wire and a bunch of different colored crystal beads. I finished one, haven't touched the other two yet ( sweatdrop }  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff