Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply RP Retreat
How to: Make a Roleplay that will become popular Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tendara

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:11 pm

It's annoying isn't it?

You think of a great role playing idea, or maybe you just don't like any of the current roleplays. Maybe you have some other reason. Regardless, something compels you to create your very own world.

You press the "New Topic", type out an intro and poll, and wait (im)patiently. At first, you have a new people, but not enough. It fizzles out and dies.

A few more tries. Failures. You might keep creating failing topics, or you might give up. Either way, it just doesn't work. But, that's where this thread comes in. Hopefully it will help you create your own sucessful roleplay! mrgreen

Appearances are EVERYTHING

If you have a sloppily put together roleplay, no one will want to come. If you have a bright yellow font, change it or forever rot in lonely roleplaying hell.

Think of your roleplay like a minishop. You're trying to attract customers. A neat, well put together roleplay appearance makes you seem more professional, more experienced. Make sure you have no spelling errors. Don't bump. Just continue on in your story, interacting with other character you make up until someone joins.

What should my "well put together roleplay" include?"

RULES
Instead of just having a brief 2 sentence intro and ten rules, try the opposite. Unless you have more specific rules, just say "Normal Role Playing Rules Apply" or similar.

RULES SPECIFICS
If your looking for a certain type of person (ie. literate, looking for a long term rp, or just one day), make sure you say so in the rules. Then ENFORCE it... by following it yourself. Be creative in your specifics. As you'll soon see, I hate lists. I always make sure to include a rule about that, and about one-liners.

INTRO
Make your intro not about you. You should have a decent paragraph on..
-Setting. Where is the place your roleplaying? You can't just make up things on the spot. Pictures and maps are helpful, but more than 1-2 is just annoying.

-Plot. List plots can DIE! Make it like an english paper. Not necessarily boring, but put together and nice. Something you can be proud of. The more detailed the better.

YOUR CHARACTER
Again, don't use lists. They just make you look semi-lit. Write about their appearance, but not solely on such. Include strengths and well as weaknesses, what they are attracted to, their history, any way they are related to the plot. For others to be able to interact with you, they need to know you!

Finally.. and most importantly.. don't look like an idiot!
Know your roleplay. Study the rules. Be, at the very least, semi-literate. Literacy= heart . Don't yell, don't insult. Patience. And if it all fails.. maybe we aren't ready for you yet. Try the roleplay boards in the main gaia forum. Still no luck? Try a broader idea instead. Once people see how awesome you are to rp with, they'll venture out and try your other ideas.

And.. have fun!

Much love,
-Matt

Updates
Wow! This survived the under construction thing. =O I guess, now I feel obligated to actually maintain it. If that doesn't help you, post or PM your problem, and I'll see what I can do to help out your rp.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:08 pm
:O YAY! Thank you sweets!  

Violette PureHeart

Liberal Smoker

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100

Tendara

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Violette PureHeart
:O YAY! Thank you sweets!

xD Now, hopefully it will be read.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:47 pm
I suggest that someone sticky's this message if it is to be read.... Violette? Would you care to sticky this one?  

Savory Garlic Crinkle

Hygienic Man-Lover

1,450 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

CainZeros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:05 pm
Margem
I suggest that someone sticky's this message if it is to be read.... Violette? Would you care to sticky this one?
It seems she would. And those are some good tips.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:50 am
great advice thanks  

white_wolf1989

Shameless Lunatic

jacked up jasmin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:58 am
I'm new here... and I have faved a board! =D  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:42 pm
well, it helps a little but I think the thing Is I stink at titles or nobody likes my Ideas. I always do everything you just said. but I make it easy to start so people wont have to worry and just have fun. I make it as if I was going and what I would like it to be like. I just stink with authority...  

Joyfulldreams

Tendara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:38 pm
Joyfulldreams
well, it helps a little but I think the thing Is I stink at titles or nobody likes my Ideas. I always do everything you just said. but I make it easy to start so people wont have to worry and just have fun. I make it as if I was going and what I would like it to be like. I just stink with authority...

Hmm. Well, what is your topic on? Pm it to me, and maybe I can help you with a title.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:17 pm
bump  

UmekoYuki

UmekoYuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:47 pm
bump  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:38 pm
@ Umeko Yuki: No spamming, please  

SubZero Assassin

Maiden of the Blessed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:31 pm
(( Thanks for the advice. ^o^ ))