Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
What, no Linux talk? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your flavor?
  *Nix (of some variety or another)
  Windows
  Mac OS (insert version here)
  Pork
  Other
View Results

Flying Squiddle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:04 pm
Okay, I confess. I'm only a quasi-nerd. The only claim to geekdom I really have is that I'm a Linux user (Debian Sid), and perhaps that I go through sporadic, addictive, week-long phases of playing Eternal Lands (currently taking a break from it, but if you like an MMORPG that you can play at your own pace, give it a try).

Otherwise, I'm just just your average, boring stay-at-home mom.

Still, I figured I'd start the obligatory "what flavor's your operating system/show us your desktop" thread.

(It also doubles as an introduction. O_O )

Why?

Because this is Gaia. And you are geeks. And I like gold.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:09 pm
I'll start off the whole "show us your Desktop" thing.

Here's me, running the admittedly non-geeky KDE 3.4, and also in the process of finding out that iTunes doesn't like to install in a sane, cooperative manner under WINE:

(a PhotoBucket-hosted screenshot)

I also have a soft spot for Blackbox (yes, even over Fluxbox, because something about Blackbox is just slightly prettier. Can't put my finger on it), but, with KDE, I can at least enjoy the thrill of creating and using KBFX themes.

Yep, thrilling.

O_O  

Flying Squiddle

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:21 pm
Some of the best programs are only out for Windows. SO ill take windows, thanks. >_>

Not to mention gaming.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:26 pm
MrBobVilla
Some of the best programs are only out for Windows. SO ill take windows, thanks. >_>

Not to mention gaming.

Your first point is a matter of opinion.

Unless, of course, you want to word it differently. Read: replace "best" with "industry standard". In my personal opinion, 'industry standard" does not always equal "best." wink

For example, some of my favorite software is only available under Linux. I've not found one application that I need or even want to use for which there doesn't exist a viable (and sometimes better) Linux alternative.

Can't argue with your second point, though. Even when running games under WINE/Cedega, Linux does lag behind.

But, I'm not a hardcore gamer. In fact, at the moment, I can't think of any games that I'd be interested in trying that I don't already play.  

Flying Squiddle

Apocynthion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:50 am
As you can see from this screenshot and the fact that it's date is really old; I'm a linux user XP (yes that's right; I can't be bothered to go through the long process of print screen, taking it from my clipboard; pasting it into KWord and then saving it. Far too long) And of course I am an obcesser of having more than one desktop; so I have five. Not really much point since I don't have the new features on my Suse; but still...I like having lots of Muse-Matt photos pasted around 3nodding

Oh and yeah; I use KDE 3.4 too...A little out of date...I need to get the new version of Suse or something...Perhaps I'll wander over to KDElook and get a new change of icons... rolleyes

You know I've always thought about moving to mandriva...but...meh. I like my whole way of things now 3nodding Although I wouldn't mind having some kind of windows partition...just so I could use all of my old art software...but then again...I kind of hate windows now rofl too slow... cry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:25 am
AK! eek How can people like linux?!? I HATE IT! DIE LINUX, DIE!  

hospitalflowers

3,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100

Apocynthion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:33 am
parti_girl

eek How can you hate it? rofl honestly...it's so amazing; you can do so much with it. What do you hate about it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:49 am
Skye.mu
As you can see from this screenshot and the fact that it's date is really old; I'm a linux user XP (yes that's right; I can't be bothered to go through the long process of print screen, taking it from my clipboard; pasting it into KWord and then saving it. Far too long) And of course I am an obcesser of having more than one desktop; so I have five. Not really much point since I don't have the new features on my Suse; but still...I like having lots of Muse-Matt photos pasted around 3nodding

Oh and yeah; I use KDE 3.4 too...A little out of date...I need to get the new version of Suse or something...Perhaps I'll wander over to KDElook and get a new change of icons... rolleyes

You know I've always thought about moving to mandriva...but...meh. I like my whole way of things now 3nodding Although I wouldn't mind having some kind of windows partition...just so I could use all of my old art software...but then again...I kind of hate windows now rofl too slow... cry

Woot! Another *nix chick! Sometimes it gets lonely in this corner. ^_^ Fun desktop, too. Gotta love Muse. smile

Yeah, I'm a little out-of date, too (but, that's Debian for ya). Kind of afraid of the Debian Sid repositories at the moment - as much I'm lusting over KDE 3.5, I don't feel confident enough to fix what might/will go wrong if I apt-get it.

And though I have no problem installing smaller packages from source, I'm a little nervous about jumping into installing KDE 3.5 from source.

(Every so often, I'm tempted by the bigger, RPM-based distros like SUSE and Mandriva. I hear nightmare stories about dependency hell in RPM distros, but anymore, Debian's the same thing, so perhaps I'd feel right at home. mrgreen )

I'm a KDE-Look junkie myself. Great place to go when your desktop needs a makeover. I've submitted a tiny handful of wallpapers and KBFX themes under the username kristinstickle. Lately, however, I just don't have the time or ambition to do any more art.

Maybe when my baby graduates from her terrible twos, some of my lost patience will be restored.

Right.

heart  

Flying Squiddle

Flying Squiddle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:18 am
parti_girl

Again, it's a matter of opinion. You use what operating system suits your needs best. I have a number of reasons for liking Linux. My hubby wouldn't touch Linux with a ten foot pole, and, after much arguing on my part, I've learned to accept that.

For me, first off, everything I've ever been able to do in Windows, I can do just as easily in Linux. Though that, in itself, is not necessarily a reason to use Linux (after all, you could just as easily respond "Well, then, why not use Windows?"), I believe it's what Linux does in addition to those things that makes it a great choice for me.

I like Linux because I don't have to deal with Windows' inherently self-destructive file system. There's no cryptic registry at the core of Linux; it's all just clean text files in plain view (if you want them to be). I've not rebooted my computer in over a month, and it's not slowed down a bit since. I've not had the urge to defrag my hard drive in over a year. It's just not necessary in Linux.

Back when I was a Windows user, I was pretty diligent about spyware and the sort of clutter that accumulates from daily web-surfing and installing/unistalling software of every variety. I'd scrub my registry on a weekly basis, run Adaware almost daily. Still, there was no way to keep things completely clean. Sooner or later, I'd begin craving a fresh re-install. And, sure, a fresh install of Windows is yummy, but it only lasts so long.

If you're organized about the way you do things, that fresh feeling is forever in Linux.

Also, I'm a low-income parent. But, I want a snazzy, fairly-modern, full featured machine to play on when I'm not playing "chase down the screaming baby" . It's far cheaper to have exactly what I want running Linux than it is to fork over some $200 for the latest incarnation of Windows every couple of years or so.

Yes, I do pay for some proprietary software when I feel it's a good enough cause to donate to, but, the point is I don't ever have to, and I can make my choices legally (you wouldn't believe how much pirated software I was running when I was a Windows user). There are amazing, free, open-source alternatives to just about anything you can dream of on this end of the operating system spectrum.

(Operating system spectrum? No, that's not quite right. I don't think you can really call it that. Meh.)

Still, I'm biased. Most Linux users are. We're usually passionate about what we put on our computers. Maybe that's another reason why we end up using Linux - sure, we could be using Windows or a Mac, but Linux has that adventurous, eclectic, fringe-dwelling underdog aura that just caters to some people. It's somehow a little less soul-less than Windows; at its core beats the heart of a subculture, full of legend and myth.

And, as a Windows or Mac user, you have as much right to be biased toward your operating system as we do.

So, it's all good.

heart  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:21 am
Flying Squiddle
Skye.mu

Woot! Another *nix chick! Sometimes it gets lonely in this corner. ^_^ Fun desktop, too. Gotta love Muse. smile

Yeah, I'm a little out-of date, too (but, that's Debian for ya). Kind of afraid of the Debian Sid repositories at the moment - as much I'm lusting over KDE 3.5, I don't feel confident enough to fix what might/will go wrong if I apt-get it.

And though I have no problem installing smaller packages from source, I'm a little nervous about jumping into installing KDE 3.5 from source.

(Every so often, I'm tempted by the bigger, RPM-based distros like SUSE and Mandriva. I hear nightmare stories about dependency hell in RPM distros, but anymore, Debian's the same thing, so perhaps I'd feel right at home. mrgreen )

I'm a KDE-Look junkie myself. Great place to go when your desktop needs a makeover. I've submitted a tiny handful of wallpapers and KBFX themes under the username kristinstickle. Lately, however, I just don't have the time or ambition to do any more art.

Maybe when my baby graduates from her terrible twos, some of my lost patience will be restored.

Right.

heart

Haha 3nodding It's terrible when the world runs on windows...all you have to do is say 'source code' and everyone runs away from you in fear that you're some kind of alien. Some people just really need to read slashdot more rofl

Yeah I know what you mean; I fear installing things like that too...and since I'm not one for backing things up until I can get DVD-Rs; I kind of uhh yeah; Don't have most of my stuff securely placed. Perhaps If I organised all 3000 photos of Matt Bellamy I might get somewhere rofl

I recently found some pretty cool firefox-thunderbird icons on KDE look...I want to go for a chrome kind of thing...a kind of 'apple-gnome' look; but still with KDE originality...hard to find what I'm looking for though...

Apocynthion

Flying Squiddle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:21 pm
Skye.mu
Haha 3nodding It's terrible when the world runs on windows...all you have to do is say 'source code' and everyone runs away from you in fear that you're some kind of alien. Some people just really need to read slashdot more rofl

Yeah I know what you mean; I fear installing things like that too...and since I'm not one for backing things up until I can get DVD-Rs; I kind of uhh yeah; Don't have most of my stuff securely placed. Perhaps If I organised all 3000 photos of Matt Bellamy I might get somewhere rofl

I recently found some pretty cool firefox-thunderbird icons on KDE look...I want to go for a chrome kind of thing...a kind of 'apple-gnome' look; but still with KDE originality...hard to find what I'm looking for though...

I've got an extra 40gb hard drive that I keep reserved for backing things up on, and yet, never touch it. I never seem to find an appropriate opportunity to get a backup going. I should though. I'm kind of curious about the SimplyMepis 6.0 release that's coming up here soon.

As for the photos, why not stick 'em all in one directory and then set Kscreensaver's slide show to cycle through them? ^_^ That'd be one heck of a screensaver to watch!

(Of course, if I pulled something like that, Hubby'd end up traumatized for weeks.)

For an Apple look, I usually go with the Baghira style/decorations, and the OS-L iconset, both available on KDE-Look.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:46 pm
Well I like Trillian as my instant messenger, and in my personal opinion it beats out any other program except for maybe Adium for OSX. Adium is pretty nice too..

I think the real problem with Linux is that it is just so rough. It is like they have this elitest attitude that if you don't know how everysingle little thing in your OS works then you shouldn't be using it. I am a Software Engineer and I do have experiance with Linux. But I really hate that elitist attitude that is prevalent among Linux users. In my opinion Mac OSX is a cleaner, nicer system anyway.

As for fragmenting, that is really up to your file system format. The ones out there that do auto format, like XFS, are really cool. Though XFS has its own problems, mainly when you have 32 bit systems working in coordination with 64 bit ones.

As for spyware and that kind of thing, that is an invalid arguement. If a Linux version was the most popular OS, there would be tons of spyware and spam for it too. It would actually be probably worse as most people wouldn't be smart enough to know how to properly prevent such problems on an enviroment as complicated as linux.

My favorite thing about windows is actually the integrated browser. I think having an IE window that automatically switches seemlessly to a file browser window when I type C: into the address is just awesome. I use this feature all the time and until some other operating system makes an integrated browser that works just as well, I definitally won't be switching anytime soon.

And of course I need my games. smile Thats the whole reason I spend so much time in making my PC work as fast as possible and have the best hardware I can justify/afford having. Which actually isn't that great at all, but I am happy knowing that whatever I get, I will make it work as well as it possibly can.  

MrBobVilla
Vice Captain

Apocynthion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:26 am
Flying Squiddle
Skye.mu

I've got an extra 40gb hard drive that I keep reserved for backing things up on, and yet, never touch it. I never seem to find an appropriate opportunity to get a backup going. I should though. I'm kind of curious about the SimplyMepis 6.0 release that's coming up here soon.

As for the photos, why not stick 'em all in one directory and then set Kscreensaver's slide show to cycle through them? ^_^ That'd be one heck of a screensaver to watch!

(Of course, if I pulled something like that, Hubby'd end up traumatized for weeks.)

For an Apple look, I usually go with the Baghira style/decorations, and the OS-L iconset, both available on KDE-Look.

Haa...moving Matt. whee

Yeah; I've just been changing my task bars and things yesterday...just need some shiny 'chrome' icons. As for backing things up...I also have a 40gb hd. But It won't work on my computer for some odd reason...ever since I moved to Linux it just wont work...and since I can't back anything up; I don't want to chance losing everything XP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:05 pm
My fav is Mac OS X which I heard is linux based so it kicks twice much a**! YEah! I like Linux too! though I do still prefer mac.  

CosmicSweetss

Sparkly Fairy

8,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Clambake 200
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games