Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official How to Draw Manga Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: artist, manga, anime, draw, learn 

Reply Main Guild Forum
[CRIME] Report Suspected Art Thefts Here Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JuneBerry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:08 pm
sugarcude
I agreed with you! I hate people that do stuff like that and take credit for the real artist's hard work!!!!! scream

Thank you for your support, but don't post in this topic unless you are reporting potential thefts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm
Q: me and my friend r in this rp we both made and it's basicly private since no one else is joing. We just take pics off photobucket.com that we think are cool to use at our rp charis, we make up teh person but we use a pic that someone else drew. Is that considered art theift?  

xXxAmi MichixXx

Lucca Ashtear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:02 am
Yes it is, since you are using the images as likenesses for your character without the permission of the images' creator. It's probably the most rampant form of art theft on Gaia.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:28 pm
Lucca Ashtear
Yes it is, since you are using the images as likenesses for your character without the permission of the images' creator. It's probably the most rampant form of art theft on Gaia.

OMG! Arigato for telling me! Ill tell my friend that right away!  

xXxAmi MichixXx

Rurousha Nue

Wheezing Reveler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:52 pm
Yaki_Yarana
Lucca Ashtear

OMG! Arigato for telling me! Ill tell my friend that right away!

dont kill me for this, but it's not like ur claming them as ur own,right?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:07 pm
Just because you're not claiming anything doesn't mean that the images weren't stolen without permission or proper credit. It's still stealing whether you lie and say the image is yours or use it without saying anything at all. :/  

Takeourfallx

Rurousha Nue

Wheezing Reveler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:11 pm
you do have a point.^^but photobucket is a public site,but if it said 'you can't copy this without permistion of however' then it would be thieft.It's not like they're printing an selling these pics for profit.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:47 pm
Profit's got nothing to do with it. Whether or not you're making money off of someone else's work, you're still using an image that's not yours without permission from its creator. If you took this picture:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

and said he was your RP character, it would be wrong. He is NOT your character, he is MY character, and by claiming that the picture is of your character, you are stealing his likeness.

Basically, the rule of thumb concerning art theft is that if the art isn't your creation, you must a) never claim that it is and b) never claim that the subject is someone he's not. It doesn't matter if there wasn't a visible "No stealing" clause or if you're not claiming to have created it - if the art in question is not clearly labeled as stock art available for public use, then using it without permission is stealing.  

Lucca Ashtear

JuneBerry
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:01 am
Very well put, Lu. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:07 am
Look i don't want to make this into a big thing but ppl post pics on the public site, photobucket, knowing fully that other ppl will come an use them.the site even gives u the codes!if the person who made the pic didn't want it to be used as mear rpc then they wouldn't post on that site.  

Rurousha Nue

Wheezing Reveler

Lucca Ashtear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:45 pm
By that logic, if I leave my window open, it shouldn't be illegal to burglarize my house.

Not everyone can afford their own server for their images, and deviantArt doesn't allow direct linking. Any image hosting site that does allow direct linking will provide the codes so legitimate people can easily post their own art in forums. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's okay.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:33 pm
we're not talking about stealing from a house.with deviantArt you knwo who really drew the pic so u can get permission from the creator.But photobucket isn't like that.you dont really know who the creator is so u can't just email them and ask.
you know what,i'm tired of this.Think w/e you want.  

Rurousha Nue

Wheezing Reveler

r u b y b l u e 12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:44 pm
xXFullMetalAngelXx
we're not talking about stealing from a house.with deviantArt you knwo who really drew the pic so u can get permission from the creator.But photobucket isn't like that.you dont really know who the creator is so u can't just email them and ask.
you know what,i'm tired of this.Think w/e you want.

just because you dont know the person who drew it doesnt mean that you can rip it from them. that would be like me saying that i drew one of your pictures and justifing my taking it by saying i dont know you so it was up for grabs  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:45 pm
we're not talking about claming that u drew something another did.it was about using a pic for an rpc. an anyway i'm not gonna bother fighting about it anymore,it's pointless.  

Rurousha Nue

Wheezing Reveler

Lucca Ashtear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 pm
The point I was trying to make was that even if you're not claiming you made the picture, you're still stealing the content by claiming the character is yours.  
Main Guild Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff