A High Increase of Scamming.. Discuss the Issue. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scammers?
  Nothing but Scum
  n00bs looking for items & gold fast.
  If I was a Moderator, I'd cast the first stone.
View Results

Audiekins

Toothsome Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:50 pm
I don't really know why, but I was invited to here, so I might as well make the best of it.

Lately, I have noticed Scammers are becoming a higher risk amongst the Gaia Marketplace.

Not only is it annoying, but I, sadly.. became a victim of it.

I personally see that the whole issue, and the way moderators even handle this is truly horrible. and by the time it happens, they could care less and give you as much as a "Well, you shouldn't of fell for it"

So for those who either wish to discuss a way to try and cut down on this major issue, or those who wish to tell their stories, feel free. We're all here to listen.

My Story:

** Just FYI, I'm not disappointed in the fact I lost an Ancient Katana, if it was worth 300k or something, then I'd be angry.

If you check my profile you can see I'm going for my dream avatar, and had 2 Ancient Katanas up, someone messaged me with a Wallet for Katana, in a sense I knew it was fishy, but I have seen worse trades..

The downside to this story is, I asked my friend to go through the trade in my moment of downtime. The trade was apparently my Katana for a Gift box & 100 gold.

The box itself contained a teeshirt.

But the PM he used was a written promise that I was to obtain a Chain Wallet for the Katana. He refuses to hand it back for return of the same items. So in your own eyes, would you think he is on a run for a ban or should be let go?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:11 pm
Well that's what happened to my friend
She traded her yeti for the same thing and got a starter item

But I think they wouldn't be banned
besides my friend keeps on GETTING random pms for her stuff
personally I think they should die off the face of the earth
and now most likely you are gonna get a scammer everyday asking you for something
Dx  

Midnight Minuet

Fashionable Businesswoman

Audiekins

Toothsome Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:32 pm
hehe lolz!!!
Well that's what happened to my friend
She traded her yeti for the same thing and got a starter item

But I think they wouldn't be banned
besides my friend keeps on GETTING random pms for her stuff
personally I think they should die off the face of the earth
and now most likely you are gonna get a scammer everyday asking you for something
Dx

I get the occasionally. I'm just now searching for this persons main, I have my own ways of payback.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:01 pm
I personally havent been affected by this.

But I am sorry for your loss. 3nodding

Ive been scammed on other sites, and it isnt fun.

And almost anywhere you go, the people who run the site will dont nothing and say it is only your fault. -shakes head sadly-  

Alisox

5,850 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100

-=chaos-raver=-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:09 pm
well will people learn?

NEVER ACCEPT DEALS WITH WRAPED GIFTS

the only reason I did that one time is because I anticipated a scam. they said there would be a panda hat in the box. if I sent them my bunny slippers. I wrapped a basic fishing rod and sent it. confirmed and finished. xD in his box was a black eyeball. technically I got the better deal cool  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:41 pm
-=chaos-raver=-
well will people learn?

the only reason I did that one time is because I anticipated a scam. they said there would be a panda hat in the box. if I sent them my bunny slippers. I wrapped a basic fishing rod and sent it. confirmed and finished. xD in his box was a black eyeball. technically I got the better deal cool

My friend wasn't thinking, but now she gets to think of coming up with 68k  

Audiekins

Toothsome Fairy

falllenshadows

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:51 pm
-=chaos-raver=-
well will people learn?

Exactly....
haha and I like your idea their with wrapping something cheap up and sending it to them. I'll have to do that the next time that situation arises.

But IMHO if you make the mistake of falling for that scam its your own fault, you accepted the trade, that means you accepted whatever will come of it, and it isnt the moerators job to fix your own mistake.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:53 am
You should be able to see a scam when they send you the first pm. Everytime I offer something of moderate value, say about 10k I get PM's of mules that want to trade for an item that is worth much more than the one I am selling. People try all sorts of things to convince you they are not there to scam you and that you have to trust them. So I got those PM's and for the heck of it, I acted like I was interested. He promised me a nightmare scarf for a shadow spirit. So I wrapped a cool starter pants and sent him the deal. I got a framed artwork back which was worth about 350 at the time, so I got the better deal XD

BTW, recently I have received a lot of PM's about me supposedly hacking Gaia and that I should send my password, so that they can track my history or something. If you fall for that, you really haven't paid attention, because there has even been a notice about it.  

Youkai_Girl06

Lunyka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:14 pm
Thats why I never take part in them. People have asked for my ears, tail, and gwee and I've said no.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:24 am
Aww.. poor you.. sad But thanks for the warning, will be sure to watch out for creeps like those.  

Iseru Dryves

5,150 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Citizen 200

The Comic Hunter

6,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:47 pm
I noticed that Gaia has posted a lot of alarming looking warnings that mention all the major scam techniques.
I know everytime I look at the screen and I see the messages it feels like I did something wrong. It must be the red colour they use, anyway, these warnings should help new users avoid the scammers.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:28 pm
it really pisses me off how people are scamming others who hav work so hard for their stuff and these shitheads try to take it

twisted evil twisted evil

they should all be killed  

legendary_pervert

8,150 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Youkai_Girl06

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:26 pm
Did you know it's even possible to buy gaia gold online? I was googling gold ink and found a website that sold 200k for $5,90. I guess website's that sell gold have a way of making it, so they must scam, or hack the gaia users.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 am
Youkai_Girl06
Did you know it's even possible to buy gaia gold online? I was googling gold ink and found a website that sold 200k for $5,90. I guess website's that sell gold have a way of making it, so they must scam, or hack the gaia users.

That's one of the concepts of botted gold.
You'll get banned shortly after purchasing it

Ric_PT

Luna Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:53 pm
yeah but theres not much we as users can do, we just have to learn how to ignore offers that seem to good to be true

oh and youkai girl, I love zelos in your siggy, hes my favorite tales of symphonia character  
1: Marketplace Hangout

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff