New Leopard Species is Found Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yume Keraun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:53 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17619064/?GT1=9145

If the link doesn't hotlink, just copy and paste the address.

Basically there has been a new type of Cloud Leopard found in Borneo. It is related as a distant cousin to the already known Cloud Leopard but there is about 1.4 million years of DNA difference between them.

I am excited that a new critter has been found, and he is very handsome. In the end of the article is mentions that there have been other types of fish, frogs, and plants that are new on Borneo as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:28 am
So this cat has always been known, but only recently they discovered its DNA difference?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quote:
The clouded leopard, which makes its home on the Southeast Asian island of Borneo, was discovered to be a unique species. It is the island's largest predator.

Shiloh1991

Yume Keraun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:42 am
I assume from the article that it has been know for some unspecified amount of time but just recently classified as being genetically different from the mainland cloud leopard and unique thanks to DNA testing.

The article, now that I think about it, was not written very well as it does not give much detail on how they two can be told apart, other then by DNA testing. It does not mention if there will be a distinc name for the new species, and it does not give you comparing photos of the mainland versus the island variety. The article leaves a nice chunk of questions to be answered.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:49 am
Yume Keraun
I assume from the article that it has been know for some unspecified amount of time but just recently classified as being genetically different from the mainland cloud leopard and unique thanks to DNA testing.

Crazy, yeah that's like the Kermode bear arrow

Quote:
The Kermode bear, or Ursus Americanus Kermodei, is the scientifically recognized name of all bears - black and white - that make up this rare subspecies found only on Canada’s west coast. But it is the white Kermode or spirit bear, as it is perhaps better known

But I guess they are only a subspecies, but a unique one at that 3nodding !  

Shiloh1991

Evedi Etros

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:08 am
Very interesting, isn't it? Apparently they have known about the cats for 100 odd years but have only just reclassified them as a unique species.
Coat Differences: Darker in colour, greyer, smaller and more rosettes, double dorsal stripe.
Teeth: Canine teeth longer in relation to body size. In fact, they have the largest teeth of any cat in relation to their body size!

Yume, as they have discovered it to be a seperate species they will give it it's own scientific name. 3nodding
Borneo Clouded Leopard

Absolutely striking animal.

Mainland Clouded Leopard. These pics do well to show the difference in markings.^^
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:02 am
Soooo beautiful ^^ 3nodding  

Shiloh1991

Cowgirl14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:28 pm
mrgreen pretty. mrgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:47 pm
*Jaw drops* surprised
beautiful!
xp  

Jamie Of Spades

Tipsy Treasure

Esmerilla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:53 am
They look really cute. I wonder what happens if u look it in the eye?? *blink blink* *SNAP* *ARGHH!!! Now i know what happens! u get bit!!* *runs* sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:57 pm
Yes, the guesses were right in that, though people knew they existed, it wasn't known that their genetics were different enough to make them different species.

I think it's an awesome leopard, and something definitely worth more research. Clouded leopards are very secretive by nature, and it's hard to get film or information on them.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Jazi Mae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 am
That's amazing. The video says that the mainland leopard is much lighter than the Borneo one. The picture shown earlier, REALLY shows it, better than the article. It looks black and orange. Blends in pretty well too.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:55 pm
what a beautiful animal  

Ultra Violet Sunset

Fudge Sprinkled Cupcakes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:56 pm
cute leopard!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:11 am
Oh, the new species is cute 4laugh  

Bu re ku - san

The Animal Lovers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items