Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Needing small electronics help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JustPlainJim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:17 pm
Well, since I'm new here, I might as well jump right in!

Nerds. I need nerds right now.

I've done a couple small electronics projects before (though, they're just above the level of a flashlight. A bit of soldering here and there), and I'm starting yet another project. I know what parts I need and I know how they all go together, but I just don't know where to find 'em!

Things like microcontrollers, diodes, crystal oscilators, etc. Radio Shack doesn't have squat, and they look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about this stuff.

Anyone willing to offer some help? Know where I could start looking for some of this stuff?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:18 pm
Well, your Shack should have oscillators, and I cannot believe they don't stock diodes...that's like milk. Would they ask you to live without milk!?! scream

As for microcontrollers, there are enough types of those you'd need a higher-end, more specialized store for something like that. Online you have to buy in bulk or in presorted kits. Do you live in a metropolitan area, or somewhere among the Mole People of northern Montana?  

DivideByZero14

JustPlainJim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:22 pm
Ehh... semi-urban. A city of 100K+, about 5 hours from Chicago. The shack had SOME of the diodes I needed... I hate to admit this, but I'm not exactly experienced with stuff like this. I haven't found anything local for stuff like this, believe me... Though, I did find a site online that had the microcontroller I need for about $3. ... And $6 shipping.

Here's a list of exactly what I'm looking for (if it helps): Parts list  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games