Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!
What's scarier: Eternal life, or death? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:14 pm
I was talking about this briefly with a friend.

So what do you think would be scarier, having eternal life, or knowing that one day you will have to face death?

I honestly think the second one is scarier, I couldn't imagine a life without life!

Your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:03 am
I think eternal life would freak me out.
Everyone around me would die, and I'd be living missing them. Or I'd eventually become numb, lonely and broken. But immortal. No thanks, I prefer death.

But if people I care about wuold also live forever, it'd get boring after... Let's say a 1000 years. There'd be nothing left to do, and no way to end it. confused

EDIT: I don't know where I'll be after death or what it feels like, but I think it would be nice to know one day something (unexpected) will happen and you don't know what'll come of it. =D

Dominique Devlin

faerie_ophelia

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:43 am
I don't know. They're both very scary. One means that you'd have to watch all your loved ones die. Sort of like a line from a show called Doctor Who - "You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of my life with you." Very sad and scary. Still, at the same time, because of love of life and uncertainty about the existence or nature of an afterlife, death is also scary. Still, at least we are sure we'll have to face death. Seeing everyone around you die isn't certain.

I wish I knew before I had to die what it was like to die, so it might not be quite as scary. I already know what it's like to live.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:29 pm
It really depends of the circumstances...but I think that death is the one that scares me the most since it means the end of everything.  

xiaryth

6,250 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200

Wolfeh Rawr

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:16 pm
To me I'm not sure, but I'm pretty scared of death, because what if u died unnaturally, it would be pretty scary. I had an asthma attack last month and the teacher and other students were no where because we had just got done doing track, the teacher had to go get her attendance clip board and the other kids went somewhere else to goof off, I was so scared I thought I was really going to stop breathing, it just made it worse though, but eventually I calmed myself down and got to the office and went home from there. I was so terrified though sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 pm
Eternal life would definitely be scarier. You would get tired of everything in due time-- believe me, eternity is a long time. There would be no way to end your life, so you would just sit there, basically.  

Lace Curtain

locke317

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:27 pm
Death would be much scarier in my opinion. Eternal life may get boring, but think of all the changes you would get to see. I only think that the world would get truly boring would be after human beings went extinct. If you could live forever, yes, it would be sad to watch your loved ones die, but humans are endlessly entertaining. I suppose the only way that eternal life would be worse is if your body kept aging but it never died. That would be the only way the eternal life could be scarier than death in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:41 pm
Death would be scarier. There is a chance you would get bored ... but it would be fun to watch everything and read everything and learn everything you can. I agree with Locke that if all humans died ... eternal life would be a lot scarier. Death is just a stopper from all my fun!  

Ultra Sarah

daydream11

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:39 pm
They are both equally scary, but death is just kind of...dead. That, IMO, is the boring option. At least with eternity, even if you get "bored", you're still alive and kicking it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:20 pm
i say eternal life is scarier why would you want to life forever  

jamie84

1,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Ultra Sarah

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:01 pm
jamie84
i say eternal life is scarier why would you want to life forever

Why wouldn't you? You could learn every language, master every skill, play every game. It's great!  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:10 pm
Not only that but if you could life forever you could also travel around the world meet new people, new places, see things you couldn't see before, there are so many things a person can do when they are alive, but since we have such a short life-span we are unable of fulfilling all of our goals. When you die though you loose all those opportunities, you will just disappear. It is true though that if you/I where/was the only person left in Earth it might be real boring and lonely at that point is when death seems like the best option (just as locke317 and Ultra Sarah said before)  

xiaryth

6,250 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200

Dissona

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 pm
I was talking to my friend about this. I finally decided that given the choice I would rather live forever.

Honestly I am afraid to die. I fear what comes after. Would we just die and be nomore? Or would we go on to an afterlife and have our sins punished? What if our religion is incorrect and we are punished for being wrong? Or we just float in space with nothing to do? I find that alone the scariest thing I've ever considered. To go on after death to a place where we do nothing and see nothing and know nothing, it would be horrible. I shudder at the thought of such an exsistence.

But to live forever! Never having to worry about what comes after life! Not worrying about wether our sins would be punished! Not worrying about facing oblivion! Oh how I long for such an exsistence! To be able to go on forever and learn all there is to know! To discover the cure to all that ails men just because you have the time! You would never get bored because there is an infinite amount of things to learn! To see how the earth progresses! To live to a time when man can go to other planets and live there! To be able to make astounding discoveries in the future! I would give so much for such a life! Though there would be sadness also. The sadness of going to your friends funerals. To out live all of those you hold dear. That is the bittersweet way of immortality. But still I would rather live forever than face death.
That is the path I would choose coward that I am. I fear death to the extent that I would go through the sadness and heartbreak of immortality.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:42 pm
I just thought of something. So, now that we live forever, what is our motivation for doing anything. We have all the time in the world to do whatever we want, but what is there to motivate us to do anything?  

locke317

Wolf Berserker

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 pm
eternal life on earth would be torture...
I can barely stand to be near me for an hour...
for eternity?
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! gonk gonk gonk
death isnt too bad  
"IDT" Intelligent Discussion Threads!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 17 18 19 20 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out