Reply The Animal Lovers Guild
Mind boggling. Simply mind boggling. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Evedi Etros

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:56 am
Found this on another animal community that I frequent. This is quite frankly beyond my comprehension. I don't understand how someone could inflict prolonged suffering like this upon anything and enjoy it.
Warning, there's a picture and it is horrible.
............................................................................................................

Detained for trial
Juveniles to be incarcerated until official hearing in dog attack case
By Elva K. Österreich, News Editor

Three juveniles will not be released after they were charged with felony cruelty to animals. The three are accused of trying to beat a dog to death Sunday.

The three Dasha Lombard, 15; James Manzanares, 14; and Nicholas Stogdon, 13 were ordered to be detained until a trial takes place within the next 30 days in 12th Judicial District Judge Jerry Ritter's courtroom Tuesday.

Ritter explained to the juveniles why they are being charged with felony counts. The three face charges of extreme cruelty to animals, conspiracy to commit extreme cruelty and tampering with evidence.

The juveniles were told the possible consequences they would face if they are found guilty of the charges, and were asked to enter a plea.

Linda Burson, the public defender who is temporarily representing the three, said all three juveniles are "standing mute." That means they are not pleading guilty or no contest, but will face trial.

"All three want to go home," Burson said at the outset of the detention hearing.

Assistant District Attorney Michael Kwasniewski then began calling witnesses. Department of Public Safety Officer Roger Schoolcraft was the first.

Schoolcraft responded to a call from a resident of a trailer park on Canal Street. The witness' little girl had seen the teenagers clustered around the dog in the Canal ditch and ran to tell her father, who then called the police.

When Schoolcraft got there, he said he spotted the three juveniles running across Florida Avenue and stopped them. He said the three told them they had thought the dog was dying and so decided to kill it.

They were smiling and unconcerned, Schoolcraft said.

"Manzanares said, 'It was just a f___ing dog'," Schoolcraft told the court. "They didn't seem to be affected by what they had done."

Kwasniewski walked Schoolcraft through photos of the different items the police had found, which had been used in the attempt to kill the dog.

Clear packing tape had been put around her snout and over her nose to suffocate her; two knives and a flat screwdriver were found in various locations that had been used to stab her; and a 44.2-pound concrete block was found close to the dog. It had been thrown on her at least once and perhaps multiple times.

Stogdon provided Schoolcraft with a verbal and written statement about what happened. Stogdon told Schoolcraft the girl, Lombard, had seen the dog and taken her. Then the teenagers saw the dog was bleeding and decided to kill it.

The next witness, veterinarian Edmund Christopher Staley, testified the dog had been bleeding a little because she was "in heat."

Staley testified the dog had a concussion, was in shock and suffering from blood loss when he received her from Animal Control officers Sunday. She had puncture wounds and a pair of slice wounds to her chest; a contusion on her right ear; and bad bruising on either side of her head.

"She showed a great deal of pain when she was moved," he said.

The contusions on her head turned out to be more than superficial, Staley said. She had a fractured vertebrae. What saved her from the blow or blows from the concrete was the soft earth under her, he guessed.

"It would have crushed her skull," Staley said.

The dog, now nicknamed Sandy, is about 24 inches long from the tip of her nose to the back end of her ribcage, Staley testified.

He also said there was no sign of any kind of previous injury to the dog.

When asked if the dog displayed any aggressive behavior, Staley said, "not at all" and expounded by saying despite her pain, she was licking the hands of the Animal Control officers and waging her tail.

Calling on Juvenile Probation and Parole officers to testify, Kwasniewski proceeded to bring the teenagers' prior records into the picture.

Kathy Cavazos of JPPO first outlined Lombard's record. On Feb. 23, Cavazos said, Lombard was charged with having a deadly weapon on school property. She had also been charged with criminal damage to property when she allegedly spray-painted an elementary school playground. Other previous charges include shoplifting and resisting, evading and obstructing an officer.

Lombard has also had numerous incidents of trouble at school, usually involving verbally abusing teachers.

Cavazos recommended Lombard be kept in detention.

"Her guardian doesn't feel she can take her back," Cavazos said. "She may subject others to injury."

Next, Dennis Gallegos of JPPO was called as a witness regarding his clients, both the boys.

He listed Manzanares' priors, including shoplifting (including one incident where he was with co-defendant Stogdon), disorderly conduct, larceny, receiving stolen property and burglary.

"His mother and grandmother said he wouldn't comply with his coming-home curfew," Gallegos said.

Gallegos recommended Manzanares be detained and undergo a psychiatric examination. He also talked about animal cruelty as a warning sign and an indicator of possible aggressive behavior against people.

Gallegos also recommended Stogdon be detained and undergo evaluation. Gallegos cited occasions Stogdon was charged several times with shoplifting; twice for battery on a household member; for running away; and for burglary.

In closing, Kwasniewski cited studies showing animal cruelty is a precursor to worse crimes. He also pointed out the community could be dangerous to the juveniles.

"The reaction of the public would probably not be as level-headed as (the witness who called police)," Kwasniewski said.

He also pointed out all three teenagers had a propensity for not being where they are supposed to be at any given time.

Defender Burson suggested the juveniles be sent home with ankle bracelets where their parents could monitor them.

"They seem to be very angry young people," Burson said.

Ritter ordered the youngsters be held at a detention center until their trial date.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

...........................................................................................................
I call bullshit on these kids wanting to kill it because they 'thought it was sick'. You don't mercy kill something by duct-taping it's mouth and stabbing it with a screwdriver.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:49 am
I dont know whether to cry or to be pissed of at those... aaaarrrrrgh! scream they should have the same did to them! and more so for everything else they've done and even thing's no one know's about! As it say's in my profile people who hurt animal's should be shot! I cant believe there are people out there like this! I dont know why they cant just think better. Idiot's stare what would someone get out of hurting a harmless little dog?!  

Jamie Of Spades

Tipsy Treasure

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:51 pm
These kids weren't doing it because the dog was sick. That was an excuse to try and get off of the responsibility.

It sounds like they all have a case of psychosis. I heard on TLC (the TV channel) that about 1 in 100 people are born as psychopaths - their brains do not function in senses of "right" and "wrong" like normal people, and they don't feel or sense emotions the same way. They show some of the classic childhood signs - constant trouble with the law or following orders, coupled with a lack of compassion and torturing other living things. These are people who do things like this and don't regret them. What these kids did is a sick, sick thing, and people like this just don't "come around" and change their behavior, as much as I'd like to think they could. It sounded like some of the parents even can't handle the children's behavior. I'm glad they're at a detention center right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:54 pm
Just a dog?

Skeksis is right. You don't put a dog out of it's misery with packing tape, knives, and a screwdriver. You just don't. That is sick and wrong on SO many levels.

*fumes*

I hope Sandy's ok.  

Wings Akimbo

`Becca`

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:14 pm
scream Bastards!  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:41 pm
Where's Annie when you need her?  

SilverLake

Invisible Citizen

9,800 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

Lupine Pyrefly

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:43 pm
Words fail me. I'll have to come back and comment later.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 pm
How's the words: Shock and Dismay sound?  

SilverLake

Invisible Citizen

9,800 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

Heart-Burnt-To-Ash

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:38 pm
stressed stressed stressed THOSE LITTLE FRICKEN BASTERDS!!! Im sorry but I just had to say that. GRRRRRR!! Im so mad!!! scream  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:53 am
OMG!!! The poor thing probably won't trust another human in its life, and i dont' blame it! I hate seeing things like this. although Sandy looked alive in that pic, which i hope she still is, I just hope the kids that did this to her are going to die...  

randomchild91

somebodysotherfriend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:38 am
wrong. just wrong. i dont know hjow they can live with themselves... crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:40 pm
I HOPE THEY GET CONVICTED!!!!!! GRRRRR domokun  

~Spirit of Dragons~

Fudge Sprinkled Cupcakes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:52 pm
no comment...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:22 pm
My eyes got really watery as I began to read what they did to Sandy, and I had to bite my lip to keep from sobbing. I've seen other really bad animal cruelty cases before. I live just a little ways for the mspca at Angell Memorial. Once when I was visiting teh dogs there, I watched one of the animal rescue teams coming running in with a mewing ball of fur and blood. I started crying, and later inquired about the circumstances with a volunteer. Apparently a couple got into a very big fight, and the the guy threatened to shoot his girlfriends kitten if she didn't leave the house. When she refused, he whipped out a gun and shot the cat 11 times in it's side. Then the rescue team stepped in. I don't think the kitten even stood a chance. cry

I just wish all o' these bastards would quit taking there anger and mental health issues out on defenseless creatures. Pisses me off beyond belief. evil I hope the court'll screw the kids over . . . *growls*

scandinavian_stew

RedxWolf13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:53 pm
What the heck!?!?! evil How can anyone do that with out felling even a small amount of guilt, or sadness!? crying I hope Sandy gets better... crying  
The Animal Lovers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff